Post Thanks / Like

Carb help. odd one.

rite. i have rebuilt stevos carb. well a spare one he had. most parts wer there. but the accelerator pump nozzle. air corrector jet.and carb top (with the float wasn't there. so used some bits off the other cab he gave me.
    so changed every gasket seal washer the lot. and it runs like a bag of shit. doesn't idle rite. and afrs are 17 plus when you can get it to idle.

any ideas?? its not the first time i have rebuilt a carb.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carb help. odd one.

Did you set idle mixture, idle speed?
    Did you use a 5mm drill bit to set acc pump jet arm throw?
    How many times have you cleaned the idle jet out since rebuild?

Post Thanks / Like

set the mixture off the car and was going to finish once fitted. but couldn't as it wasn't idling rite anyway. yeah I set the arm with the 5 mm bit. all the norm was done. we even swapped over the base from steves old carb just in case it was that and it still ran really lean and wouldn't idle rite. im stumped. only thing I could think of is the bits I swapped from the spare carb were buggered.
    with all the bits I had we only had..
    1 x ac jet 0.9
    1 x main 1.2
    1 x second (cant remember)
    1 x float
    1 x carb top
    and all this was in a shit state. so cleaned them up as best I could. could it be any of this?

Post Thanks / Like

What Jonny means by how many times have you cleaned the idle jet is that you will have to clean it numerous times to get it to idle right.

upwards of 5 or 6 times, take it apart each time and use brake/carb cleaner. Blow through it also.

Each time the engine is fired up it will clog up again.

An easy try, sounds like your on the money with all the other stuff that makes it idle well. If the engine was running fine before then I would put money on the fact it's just shit in the carb, you will need to also keep on top the accelerator emulsion tube, try soaking that in carb cleaner also and blasting the small end with the spray.