Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed Season 2014

Here we go again!
    1st event at a damp 3 Sisters it was clear from the forcast that rain was on the way so the pressure was on to make the first run count.

Over the winter Doris had undergone some restoration work and what I though was a few bubles on the paint work turned into 2 new sills rear quater rebuild and a £2K bill!

In addition to that I have sacked the Hi Spec brakes and gone to Renault Clio 16V front brakes. They have a much softer feel but do stop the car a definite improvement!

As I said pressure on so I messed up the exit of the tight hairpin and ran onto the grass on the exit and was just 0.36 behind the lead time of Paul Edwards in his Clio Sport. Considering he doesnt have a limited slip diff that was a stunning performance. he has a background in rally driving and was relishing the greasy track.

I was thrown a lifeline when the organisers decided to run another timed run before lunch whilst the weather held. In the event the rain started as I was in the queue for the start. At the back of the line for the class I had to sit there praying that it held long enough for my run as all my competitors had first crack at improving their times.

I managed to put a clean run in to take the class with a 52.92 whilst Paul and Keith Minshull DEAD HEATED! on 53.25 Paul taking 2nd on his better second fastest time. I have never seen that happen before.

So as opposed to last year when I went home on a trailer with a droped valve and 3rd place this was a much better start to the year!

Here is a video of Paul enjoying the rain, when he fits a diff he is going to be mega!

Handbrake fail

He hand braked the tricky uphill hair pin and this was the only time he over cooked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed Season 2014

Hate rain in my 5 lol. Enjoyed your racing post last season, look forward to more this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Russell

Keep the updates coming, I am another who enjoys the read

DG

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading your post Russell, keep it up

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Love the Rusty Hillclimb reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Russell are you doing a project thread of the new body work? also can you put your videos on the rtoc you tube channel? All good stuff you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Love your write ups Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Bodywork all done now no pics to show you all but you all know what rust looks like!
    It turned out that my starter motor had lost the nose bearing so just as well I gave up when I did on the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Second event at Aintree over the weekend, a great day with perfect speed event weather despite an iffy forecast. We were offered a total of 7 runs with 2 practice 4 competition and 1 non counting run at the end.

Doris didnt miss a beat all day she reved her heart out taking the flying finish in 4th gear almost 7K revs and 110 MPH. Having had my REALLY frightning off at this venue last year I still cant trust my new brakes and I was braking too early for the corners and she seems to have a lack of bite at the front but I am leaking a lot of oil from the crankcase seal.

Anyway I managed a best of 53.78 against a PB of 53.42 so I wold have been pretty pleased with that result if it hadnt been for the small matter of Ians Butchers yellow peril beating me by almost 2 SECONDS!!!

A stunning performance his R5 went through the finish at 120 mph in a time of 51.92 taking the class record of Tony Hart of Prima Racing. He even pushed the mighty Fred Currell Golf into 2nd place in the 2 runs that count for the Midland Speed Championship.

I have never seen any one, in any car, at any venue beat Fred or even get close to him so hats off to Ian and his new engine. Fred was so disturbed as to put his car at risk with a 3rd competition run which didnt count for his championship but he wanted the class record back which he got with a 51.86 after literaly beating himself about the head on the start line to gee himself up!

What a day, I always believed that our 80's shopping trolley could be a competetive car and Ian has just shown me the way. The plan now is to cut the season short and try and get Doris up to something like where Ian has shown me she can and should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic. Where's the real delta between your car and Ian's car Russell? Is it in horsepower, drivetrain or handling?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Fantastic. Where's the real delta between your car and Ian's car Russell? Is it in horsepower, drivetrain or handling?
    I would hazard a guess at HP.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously Ian can drive he has also run a 68.5 at Harewood and that takes some doing on the driving front no matter what you are in.

On my last RR figure and what Ian says he has its 40 bhp.

I beat him off the start though

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, that's a lot. How is he managing that within the rules do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

When Doris dropped a valve she lost 20 bhp no obvious reason why, I have booked her in for a new timing chain and a boost circuit leak test. There is no reason to suspect Ian has more bhp due to anything other than a top engine builder after all what he has is peanuts compared to many cars that turn up at RR days.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Russel, have to make time and come down and watch you sometime when your in Wigan. Keep the posts coming really enjoy reading about your exploits.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really interesting Russell. Glad you're having Doris looked at. Hopefully you'll get a fair bit of that back with a tune up.

What was the damage done when you dropped the valve? A 20bhp loss is significant, especially considered in % terms. It sounds like a problem was caused that was not resolved in whatever work you had done after??

Post Thanks / Like

The valve stem snapped below the collet and dropped it causing a rather S shaped valve. I needed the new valve to be sleeved as the valve channel was slightly damaged but other than that all was aparently OK. I had my turbo reconditioned at the same time.

I agree its a puzzle and a big drop .

My experience with motorsport, even at my level, is that half the battle is trying to get the car optimized then you look like a good driver. Unfortunately the converse is also true, and that carries all the way up to F1.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you have a cracked head, loss of compression through the damaged channel, a lack of valve seal on the replacement, or something unrelated. Though with those things, you'd think there'd be other symptoms.

Certainly sounds like you should be able to close the gap to your rival if the forthcoming tune up can reduce the bhp deficit in any case.

Keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like

Next event in 2 weeks at Harewood, I can have another crack at Ian then although another sore bottom is on the cards

It will be interesting to see if my low lag system does better at that venue, which is a bit more point and squirt than Aintree, allthough there are still long uphill sections where his greater top end will count.

Post Thanks / Like

Just back from Harewood and we had a very difficult day yesterday in terms of the weather. It was damp and drying to start with and with rain forecast the first timed run was going to be key, any mistakes on that run and you would end up no where. The day started with James Kerr scratching his 205 so that removed one car faster than me. In the damp first practice I was second to a young lad called Deryk Jones in another 205. He posted a 73 sec run to my 74 and Ian Butcher was no where having spun at the first corner.
    In second practice it was my turn to fall off the island having locked up my brakes at the bottom of the hill and had to release and rebrake which put me way to deep into the corned and I understered off onto the grass at the esses.
    So the competition runs, I made sure I madethe corner at the bottom of the hill and was pleased with my effort hitting most of my apexes including the tricky last one. Over the line I stopped the clock at 69.24 to take the class lead from Daniel Hollis in a very rapid Integra, however right behind me was Ian who was on a rerun having been red flagged when the young charger Deryk Jones had fallen into the same trap as me at the bottom of the hill. He stopped the clock at 68.49 to take a stunning win.
    Doris second again but a lot closer this time and for the first time ever a Renault 5 GT turbo 1st and 2nd in class 1b at Harewood

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by RussellT; 11-05-2014 at 17:40. Reason: too big

Post Thanks / Like

Great

You even have Jackie Stewart attending these events!

Post Thanks / Like

The split times make interesting reading

I had a poor start then slow at the bottom the hill (not suprised as I had fallen of there the run before) but I actually matched Ian through the first 2 sectors coming up the hill until the final straight where he apparently hit 84 throught the speed trap to my 76.

Really heartened by that performance, well done Doris!

http://www.harewoodhill.com/download...010%202014.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

No wonder I cant get close to his times!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent really enjoy your updates.

Post Thanks / Like

The 0.35 in Sector 6 is more or less down to bhp then and that's half the difference between you two on that run. Bummer.

If the 0.34 in sector 2 is down to confidence, then it looks like you can be competitive with him this season if you can just get Doris pushing out a bit more power.

Post Thanks / Like

It was exactly a year since I was last at Harewood so that timed run was my first go at race boost in a long time and only my 3rd run up the hill, whereas Ian was at the practice day and had already done an event.

I am sure that I will get more confidence in the brakes and handling and a drier day would help. Also the pit crew have found a boost leak somewhere around the inlet manifold which they are going to look at when they change the timing chain and check the oil leak situation.

Ian is a very aggressive driver and really goes for it which is good and a great competitor to be up against. I am sure that he can go a lot faster too.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I said that Ian was a committed driver... well check out these sequence of photos from the corner at the top of the Harewood straight. They start with our hero entering stage left prob at about 60mph, backwards!

http://www.jcbphotography.co.uk/_pho...os_id=12721343

Post Thanks / Like

Cold track, cold (ish ) tyres and no roll cage.
    Practice is supposed to be about steady, measured progress

You never stop learning.......

Really enjoyed your company on Saturday Russell and your encouraging comments. Get yourself a bigger turbo, you'll learn to live with the lag!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great racing gents

Russ, when I said confidence, I only meant in respect to building it back up a bit after having had that off you mentioned at the bottom of the hill. Not in general. I don't think anyone here thinks you lack any confidence/commitment given how quick you're going!

Post Thanks / Like

Trevor ypour comment is bang on I am not confident of how the car will react when I hit the brakes. It takes time.

Latest from the pit crew isthat the oil leak is solved so that will help with the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Update The pit crew has identified a leaking inlet manifold gasket. New one on order lets hope it makes a difference

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent read that.

Post Thanks / Like

Appalling weather conditions at Harewood on Saturday. Driving over from Blackpool was lovely but the rain arrived just as the first practice began. I had nearly not made the event as 5th gear went on the motorway. All was good then without warning I had no drive and the engine was bouncing off the limiter. Panic while I worked out that 5th gear had gone and finding a useable gear whilst dodging the traffic. Any way I bailed out onto the A59 checked 1 to 4 worked and decided to keep going. She made it so it was with some sense of impending disaster that I made my way down to the start line for first practice, accompanied by some really nasty noises in the box. As it happened she ran fine the engine with the new timing chain and manifold gasket did feel better and I slithered to the best time in class. The big power boys were all over the place but I can turn Doris down to suit the conditions. Second practice was the same as the 1st but the grinding on coast was worse. So I decided 1 timed run and leave so I had to make it good. I kept her on the low boost setting as it was working well and I didnt want to put any more torque through the box than I had to, however the track had dried a bit and Ian went 3 seconds quicker to take the class and I ended up 3rd. The Old girl got me home and I have a week to fix her for Barbon.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had 5th Gear let go just outside Calais on the way back home (when I lived in London). I too managed to get all the way home using the remaining four gears! I think I still have the offending gear somewhere!

Awesome to hear things are getting better on the speed and confidence front.

Post Thanks / Like

Never a dull moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the gearbox, a tooth came off 5th gear went between the gears and blew the box open. Yep I managed to get to Harewood, compete, come 3rd and drive home all on a completley destroyed box. The legend that is Doris.

Post Thanks / Like

The Legend that is Doris 3rd in class with this crack in the gearbox

https://twitter.com/turborussell/sta...48879524478976

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly why and where they fit those reinforcing plates to the JB3 and JC5 gearboxes. Might be worth investigating? I know they are a fairly common mod in Euro Rally circles.

Post Thanks / Like

Barbon on Saturday was the first dry event of the year! A beautiful day in a stunning setting. I had picked Doris up with the repaired gearbox just 48 hours earlier, there was a trill on the over run of something catching a clanging from under the car and by the time I got to Barbon she didnt want to turn right and given that there was a very tight right hand hairpin at the top of the climb, i very nearly turned around and drove home. However perseverance is a good quality to have in motorsport so I unpacked and signed on. I was up against a Honda integra a G40 Polo (ex Harewood championship car) and a Non turbo suby. 1st practice was taken with an air of impending doom however all was well and she took the hairpin with no complaints. I was however dead last. OK full boost more beans and 2nd practice saw me up to 3rd fastest having slid into the hairpin. 1st timed run and I managed my quickest time of the day 31.09 but the Honda Integra was way in the lead in the 29's. The G40 didnt appear its head gasket had gone in the start line. The Honda it transpired was on 1b tyres. I spoke to the driver and asked if it was OK to have his time discounted for the championship results and he said he didnt mind. So he was put into 1F (which he won) and I had a class of 2. The best I could manage was 30.65 about a second off what I was hoping for but considering Doris was still far from well I shouldnt be too despondent. This morning I put some diff additive into the box and as for the clanking that was just a loose exhaust! Oh and Im 2 bills behind at the garage now the admin team cant keep up with the repair work on Doris!

Post Thanks / Like

Big weekend ahead Aintree tomorrow then 3 Sisters on Sunday. 2 very competitive classes I might even end up last tomorrow with Butch and his mega beast way out in front. I will be there giving it my all.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck matey. Keep us up to date!

Post Thanks / Like

What a weekend of motorsport, and Doris took it all never missed a beat, some of my driving was not the best. First up was a very wet Aintree which in theory helped me as it took away some of the power advantage from the mega Clio and Ian. As usual Ian spun off on his first practice run but stamped his authority when it counted with a 54.32 in the wet crossing the finish at 120. Daniel in his mega Clio spun but still went through the finish at 111 giving the rapidly closing Ian a slip stream! Doris managed 57.19 with 108 through the finish and I was 4th out of 5! Ian didnt improve on his next run and he called it a day (only 2 runs count for his championship). The Clio's altenator packed in before the next run so they went off to buy a new battery. I was in trouble and had to try something different. I had been throwing her into the last corner in 4th saving 2 gear changes but whereas that had worked when I had 204 BHP it wasnt working with 180BHP so I tried changing to 3rd and saw a significant improvement to 55.87 with 111 through the finish. That moved me up to 2nd. I went quicker still on the 3rd run to just get into the 54's 54.99 but the recharged Clio went quicker on 54.32 and 117 through the finish. By now the track was strating to dry so full dry settings for the last run. I gave it my all and stopped the clock at 54.48 Fishy Herring (driving a freinds Clio) did a last run stormer for a 54.49 just 0.01 of a sec. he went through the finish at 112 to my 109 another few feet and he would have got me. Daniel improved to dead heat Ian on 54.32! Wow. Packed up and off to Wigan

Post Thanks / Like

Where Aintree had been wet a beautiful day greeted us at the 3 Sisters circuit. There was still some large puddles in the paddock from yesterdays rain but the prospect was for a fully dry day and hopefully some quick times. Ian and his beast looked to be favourite for the class and he fancied taking the class record. I teased him about his tendency to spin on first practice. Then there was a rally driver from wales Paul Edwards who was a hand brake warrier at the first 3 Sisters event. He now had a limited slip diff and was going to be very tough to beat. Fishy Herring was in his own Clio worked on by Scoff so another beast and the Daniel Brady in his Clio 172 on throttle bodies with 200+ BHP. Keith Minshull in his rapid 306 who has a tendancy to beat me by the odd hundreth made up the top contenders in a large class. First practice and on the way to the start you had no option but to drive through a puddle. I did my best to miss it but ran my rear nearside tyre through it. First corner is a long tightening right and yes half way around the back end on Doris lost traction and I was completely side ways. I managed to catch it but that put me on the grass and I was the first run dick not Ian. After that excursion my 1st practice time put me 9th (technically it was a foul run as all 4 wheels left the track). Paul Edwards led the field with a 53.18 Ian was way back on 55.59. Into the timed runs and Fishy Herring put in a stormer 51.91 but he might have cut the chicane ala Lewis Hamilton. He always like to minimise the track length and I noted that a "Judge of Fact" was appointed to monitor the lines cars take through the chicane. Ian said he was going to take the kerbs but I warned that it could knock you way wide. He was on 52.57 and 4th! not happy. I managed 52.90 to be just behind Keith on 52.82. I tried all I could diferent tyre pressures damper setting even holding 3rd gear into the last corner and reving the nuts off Doris in the process but the best I could manage was 52.68 to come 7th 3 hundreths behind Keith. Ians best was 52.20 and 4th. Paul took the honours with a last run 51.79. Last year with no brakes I had managed a 51.77 so Im suffering somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Always love your threads lots of fun doing these trails keep up the good work and keep the threads going.. Do you have a calendar? Or location details? Would love to see an event sometime..

Post Thanks / Like

Next event in at Blyton Park in 2 weeks.
    If it had just been me and Keith I probably would have accepted that I just need to drive better. But with 3 Clios now faster than me too as well as Ian I really have to try and get back the horses Ive lost.
    I did a compression test last night and all the cylinders were 159 psi.
    The fuel pump is making funny noises so I might invest in another one. Im kicking myself that I didnt check the AFR meter on the run to the line at Aintree. Lack of fuel flow would certainly fit with whats happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent reading!

Post Thanks / Like

The rest of my season if all goes to plan is;
    July 12 & 13 blyton
    3rd August three sisters
    10th August Loton park
    6th Sept Aintree
    7th Sept three sisters
    4th & 5th October Anglesey Trac Mon.

Post Thanks / Like

Big weekend at Blyton disnt dissapoint, under blue skys for 2 days in a class of just 4 with a double drived lightly modified 306 Rallye father and daughter team and Dave West in his "money no object" Pug 106 GTI representing the full spectrum of cars in speed events. I had hoped to at least put David under some sort of pressure as I had been close on the Saturday last year with no brakes. In practice things didnt look too bad I was within 1.5 sec at practice boost (15psi) then in the first timed run I was annoyingly close with a 77.47 to Daves 77.30. However then Doris's gremlins resurfaced she did her cut out on me which ruined the second run then on the 3rd I noted that she lost power out of the first chicaine on the long sweeping right hander. I glanced at the AFR and saw 19 just as she started to missfire. Definite fuel starvation but I had half a tank according to the fuel gauge. There is something amiss in the fuel tank. I had a new tank fitted after a leak and I susspect there is some debris cloging the in tank filter. Consequently I couldnt improve and Dave moved down to 76.90. The 306 driven hard by dad Andrew set a best time of 81.58 to beat daughter Heather 86.54. So second and 100 pts in my championship more than last year even though my performance was worse. Such is sprinting. Highlight of the day was my family turning up all wearing Doris Pit Crew T shirts which was a great suprise. On to day 2....