Post Thanks / Like

hacker is a new member

997ddqu89ce usernae is a hacker. Part of a group who log on at night. All have abbotpark as address details. They cant do much as visitors but as a member may be diffrent. So the powers that be may want to have a deeper look into this new user. Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: hacker is a new member

good to know members are on the ball, thanks for the heads up

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He hadn't fully registered but I've banned him/them.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an advantage of having paid membership. These spammers won't pay to join, so all they can do is spam General Chat and send PM's.

I was told there are teams of them in China manually registering to websites and spamming them.

It surprised me the other year how quickly they found the fully opened classifieds section and posted Chinese in there. I had to change it back to registered users minimum.

A few of us, but it seemed to fall mainly to me, were deleting these daily for maybe a year as I switched all applications to manual approval. It was too much work and I had to turn that off and just let them register as I didn't was genuine applicants to be in a queue for a few days until someone else processed the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and paul woody noticed them the other day. Im usually on all night till 7am when im at work. See them all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always seen them pop up in the early hours, but to be fair it's been a lot less over the past six or so months. Maybe we should switch back to full lock down, I.e. Members only in all sections bar home page stuff like it used to be.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    I've always seen them pop up in the early hours, but to be fair it's been a lot less over the past six or so months. Maybe we should switch back to full lock down, I.e. Members only in all sections bar home page stuff like it used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer to keep the site as it is if these spammers are not a particular threat to the site's security.

Maybe we could lock the site down as suggested over-night however, say from midnight to 6am? Create a batch file and have it run in event manager each day, if that's technically possible.

Or is it possible to alter the non-member application process to reject Chinese-based IP's?

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

They're more of a nuisance than anything really. I banned 6 or 7 of them last week but they don't cause any real problems as far as I'm aware. They're easy to spot too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I'd prefer to keep the site as it is if these spammers are not a particular threat to the site's security.

Maybe we could lock the site down as suggested over-night however, say from midnight to 6am? Create a batch file and have it run in event manager each day, if that's technically possible.

Or is it possible to alter the non-member application process to reject Chinese-based IP's?
    Trev, I believe you are running on nix so a cron job might be what you need.

Afaik there are plugins available to block certain countries IP

Post Thanks / Like

I've manually blocked most of Asia.

They use false IPs. They started using the IP of this sites host. That's when I stopped blocking IPs.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all the guests that I don't understand we have 40 at the time of writing. I still think the site isn't locking down all that it should be and guests are free to roam. I might be wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    It's all the guests that I don't understand we have 40 at the time of writing. I still think the site isn't locking down all that it should be and guests are free to roam. I might be wrong though.
    There 55 right now, I've been keeping an eye on it to, for some reason there always some one looking at this thread!

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=1378

Maybe we should just actually lock it all back down after all to filter out the free loaders.

Home page and new members "Say Hello" section left open, that should be enough to decide if you want to join or not.

I'm not overly fussed either way, so don't miss read my post. But what I do like about this club is the fact that we are mainly a paid members site, which does help keep the riff raf and time wasters out.

The crap I see daily on other forums that are free to join is mostly keyboard warriors, nothing worse than seeing pages and pages of members trying to get one up one another.

Post Thanks / Like

new one on right now trying to register as a new member...hjiioo2as

Post Thanks / Like

and this one too ztihwflu

Post Thanks / Like

ervin307

Post Thanks / Like

General chat was left for registered users so ex-members could still chat to their friends here.

And it gives prospective members a much better look.

If any of you chaps are really concerned about these fake users then do please volunteer to take on the task of manually vetting EVERY NEW APPLICATION 7 DAYS A WEEK and delete the spammers as they try to register and approve the genuine ones WITHOUT DELAY, as I was doing. It's not any good keeping people who to want to join up immediately waiting around for days