Post Thanks / Like

Thought of it the other day..

Back many years ago when i was helping my mate put a c1j engine in his mk2 clio i remember looking on ebay at a gearbox for it there was one on there cant remember the full details..

But what someone had built.. gears changed final drive changed etc

Just remember the add saying something like its running silly power at only very low boosts and doing quick 1/4 mile times down to how the box has been built.. Carnt remember exactly i know there was a fair bit of info on the ad though..

It got sold i know that, just wondered if anyone else ever seen or heard of it or even bought it?.. It has been about 7-8 years ago now lol long time i know! Just randomly thought about it the other day..

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thought of it the other day..

I built a 'special' gearbox for race car using some of the GTT and some clio 16v gearbox bits. Giving a very close ratio set of gears but with the final drive of the GTT.
    You can get a 4.2 final drive from a clio to fit the GTT box too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Stuart Clark used some gearbox trickery to help towards the monstrous terminal speeds (122 mph) he used to get at pod without nitrous........

Not 100% but seem to remember something about it, that and the tyre size was very important??

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who it was mate, just remember it on ebay always told my mate to buy it but im sure it went for like £300+ and he wouldnt pay that much lol

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want shorter rations for a road use 5GTT? When I last looked, maybe 7 years ago, I couldn't get longer ones as the 5GTT box is the longest Renault did, including the Clio ratios.

Horses for courses.

Track racing, max speed might be only 85mph so gear it accordingly.

Drag racing, if your terminal speed 125mph, you want that at the top of third or fourth gear, as appropriate. So gear it accordingly.

I felt that my setup needed another gear shorter then 1st so the car had some go off boost at junctions and the big blower and taller cam provided less than normal bottom end power. But on boost, the first gear was a bit short and I had to change to 2nd after only 1 second on boost. 3rd could have been a bit longer too. 4th and 5th really just got used for steady cruising.