Post Thanks / Like

Where the f#@k is reverse?

Yes, I realise this question deserves ridicule, but where is reverse on a 5 GTT? I'm assuming it's usual place with a lift-up latch on the gear-knob. However, every time I do this I put it back into first. Understand I sound like a div, but don't fancy looking like one too, when having to push my car back out of a space, ha.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where the f#@k is reverse

You need to adjust linkage under car, suspect you can select 5th gear very easy at present. You need to rotate linkage bar clockwise where it attaches to bottom of gear stick mechanism, just undo clamp bolt and rotate shaft. Dependant on how rusty it is might need some effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Reverse is pull the latch, then all the way over to the left, past 1st gear.

I used to depress clutch, slip it into 1st and then over into reverse, then let clutch our, that used eliminate any crunching when selecting reverse almost entirely.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like some adjustment problem.

I've done the idiotic one...
    bought a box for my b18t R19, had been driving some shitty jap for a while, started the car, tried to select reverse down to the right (as in the jap)... mocked about with it for an hour or two before calling the mate i bought it off: "Shitty box you sold me theres no reverse. when trying to put it down right there is no reverse!!" he calmly replies: "Try Up to the left".. I just hung up... felt like a complete moron..

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the feedback fellas.

After a few attempts, I put it into reverse and have the knack for it now. Still not easy though. Also, changing gear isn't clunky, but it is squeaky. That doesn't fill me with confidence .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    sounds like some adjustment problem.

I've done the idiotic one...
    bought a box for my b18t R19, had been driving some shitty jap for a while, started the car, tried to select reverse down to the right (as in the jap)... mocked about with it for an hour or two before calling the mate i bought it off: "Shitty box you sold me theres no reverse. when trying to put it down right there is no reverse!!" he calmly replies: "Try Up to the left".. I just hung up... felt like a complete moron..
    Pah ha ha, I wouldn't worry mate - I had to ring the guy I bought my 5 from and ask him where the bonnet latch was. They are stupidly small and hidden in 5s. Fail.