Post Thanks / Like

My long overdue build thread of my 5GTT

Hi I've been on here a while about a year and half just never got round to my build thread witch I kept meaning todo it started in January in 2012 I purchased a ph2 Tungy and viewing two prior to it. it ticked all the boxes it was local and within my price range red carpet Tungy non sunroof presentable condition and 1mile away from my house but being a complete noob to 5's it turned out to be more work than antissapated to get it to how I exactly wanted it this was it the day I collected it some of you may remember what car it was from the wheels, at the time I knew nothing about the car

And this was the car in its previous life a lad called Sean owned from up north

As you can tell most parts had been raped off it and being replaced with mostly original parts like interior mirrors carpet and engine auxiliaries but I was in love lol first turbo car I had driven and I definitely caught the bug
    So at first it was all fun it came with 12 months mot all I did was tax and insure it and enjoyed it attending a couple of shows and meeting some nice people who have been very helpful along the way some pics of when she was last on road she looks good in the pics but certainly had a lot of bodges and battle scars

I'll be updating this thread over the next couple of days with all the work that's been undertaken and going to be done but she's nearly there

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My long overdue build thread of my 5GTT

Bout time

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Niceone fella, - look forward to more pics!

Post Thanks / Like

thats a smart red 5 parked next to yours in last picture pmsl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    thats a smart red 5 parked next to yours in last picture pmsl
    I can only see a pink one?

Post Thanks / Like

Get uploading pics jay!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one get some more pics up. Btw is the blue modded one parked behind yours aswell ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work mate.

That rat looking beetle lives in Brentwood I think

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers lads, so initially every thing was good I was loving it but I started to notice things like leaks and half arsed jobs just to keep it going some of things I found were the gearbox felt asif it had no mount and use too bounce out of gear when ever coming off throttle and struggled to stay in 2nd and 4th had a oil leak from oil return from turbo and sump that had sprayed everywhere and the electrics would suddenly stop working and the front end had been butchered to fit a front mount this is how it looked

If you notice the front mount was routed through holes put into the inner wings and headlight surrounds had been cut up for clearance for piping route and had started to rust and rot so knew this had to be fixed and the rest of the pics are just clear indications of lack of maintenance and old age
    This is when I decided to sorn the 5 and carry out all the jobs I wanted doing but the list just kept on building and turned into a project

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    Nice one get some more pics up. Btw is the blue modded one parked behind yours aswell ?
    No the picture was taken on the drive of the person I brought the car off he had 5gtts at the time the modded one was blue/green pearlescent witch ended up having all the decent parts taken off it and sold as a shell n it's popped up a couple of times on eBay since

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one, how far from completion are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mingblus3 View Post
    Nice one, how far from completion are you?
    Not too far mate just a couple more things todo for me to completely happy with it

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh was in need of attention and love when you bought it, did you weld up inner wing holes? not seen someone cut these out for boost runs

Good work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Ahh was in need of attention and love when you bought it, did you weld up inner wing holes? not seen someone cut these out for boost runs

Good work
    Cheers pal it's has all been repaired since these pics wasn't cheap to sort either lol I've seen a ic routed that way before but would not advise it's just a mess when it could be routed like most alongside the alternator and out by the gearbox
    So at this point I decided to remove the engine (first time I'd ever attempted anything like this) to save on labour fees as I can't weld and wanted new inner wings welded in and new front end and change my dodgy gearbox so after contacting mike from gt spares he managed to get me a decent second hand box and a complete front end off a 5 he's a true gent and I got too see one of his aladins caves
    So I made a start at removing the engine i used one of the guides on here
    Note the colour of the coolant obvious it hadn't been changed in a long time

You'll see here how bad the headlight surround had been hacked at and where the holes were made for intercooler

And it's out I was quite surprised at how easy it was todo and was a great feeling knowing I was getting somewhere
    Last edited by hickman; 12-03-2014 at 17:58.

Post Thanks / Like

So once I had the engine out I decided to get a engine stand and tidy up the overall state of the engine and auxiliaries as it ran spot on apart from a small oil leak on the sump I just wanted it clean and presentable and leak free
    Considering this was my first time messing with a c1j it's a bit daunting with all the hoses and breathers remembering where they go so out came the masking tape and camera phone so I had I good idea of where they needed to go when I put the engine back in.

I brought a por 15 engine paint kit that my bulldog kindly opened for me and set to work
    First problem I encountered was the trusty water pump bolts that like to snap
    managed to work the casing off the snapped bolts using plenty of wd40 and a couple of small levers and use two nuts on the remaining threads of the bolts by tightening them together and using the rear nut to work the thread out
    And prepped the lump for paint

And painted

And couple of other bits I did just for a fresh look
    Polished the oil sandwich plate

Brought a 2.5 down pipe westy kindly welded the bung in and gave it a polish

I also polished my turbo housing

And got some parts powdercoated and wrapped my exhaust manifold

And a full set of blue samcos

Also a few other little bits like gttuning star oil cap chrome rocker cover alloy breather pot and swirl pot and have the gearbox a quick one over with some silver hanmerite

And sat resting while I got front end sorted

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The engines looking sweet, I like the polished oil sandwich plate might do mine

Post Thanks / Like

lol it's additive I even polished the flywheel cover

Post Thanks / Like

Great reading. Keep it coming

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it coming jay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That engine looks the nuts mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really well! I have the delights of the engine out and refresh to do next month!

Post Thanks / Like

Great work mate, - nothing like getting stuck in then there's no looking back just that satisfying feeling. Looks fresh now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy5 View Post
    Looks really well! I have the delights of the engine out and refresh to do next month!
    Cheers mate one tip have patience because you'll have many ups and downs with doing it but it's worth it when it starts coming together!
    So after being happy with the engine I'd been collecting parts and about to get the front end and bay sorted I'd imagine a lot of you have had similar experiences of 5 parts over taking everything
    So after arranging for the welding to be done by a friends father in law who restores classic cars I set about getting it ready for it to be sent off I brought a complete front end off mike but only decided to use the inner wings off it as I wanted a brand new oe front end witch I purchased from cgb

So I started by removing the wings to find the kit had been glued on and not painted underneath and this is what I was greeted with
    And rusty break servo luckily not rotten and a rusty chassis leg and just signs of age and wear
    A rotten battery tray

And some nice rust

So off it went for its welding I'd spoken to the welder and asked him to give the car a good look over for any more areas he might see that would need attention I'd also removed the carpet for him to check floor and inner sill but I'll soon get onto the interior

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely brilliant work mate, another dedicated owner keeping one of these little classics alive regardless of cost etc

Post Thanks / Like

nice work fella! keep the pics coming. the engine looks great!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers lads it's definitely and up and down thing though some times I love it and sometimes I despise it lol
    So the the car left and went to the Welders unit I was expecting at least a couple of days before it would return but I got a phone call the next day off him telling me he had done the front "but had found a few other little bits that needed doing" I instantly thought here we go expecting a massive bill but it need a small patch on the jacking point and a little patch on the passenger outter sill and only charged me a extra £30 to sort
    So this is when she returned one day later

So I set too work making it all look presentable I removed the brake servo and decided to rub it down and use por 15 rust treatment and por15 paint
    This is how the servo looked I can't seem to find the pics of the process I did but have later pics of it fitted

The next thing to tackle was the colour of the bay but didn't have the money to take it to a bodyshop for it to be sprayed with also having to pay for recovery there and back so after speaking to a couple of friends about it and what paints to buy and the process I decided to diy it
    So here starts the prep I started by removing the subframe and it soon came clear this would also need sorting

Then onto the chassis leg I didnt take many pics at this point as I was too busy getting stuck in lol

Then proceeded to rub out all surface rust I could find in and around the bay treating them with rust treatment and painting with por15 rust prevention paint
    Then onto getting the bay ready for its spray I was going to use 2k paint 1 stage paint 2nd stage laquer
    So after getting the prep removing all the grime and keying it up ready a handy tip I was given for covering wires and lines was to use foil instead of masking tape

So I went to jawels to get my paint and supplies and a little practice setting up the gun and such on a spare wheel I had and was happy with the results

And this was the end result I was very pleased with it and my self

Next on the list was to get the subframe sorted

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work fella, bet you're glad its all solid now, chassis leg cleaned up well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Nice work fella, bet you're glad its all solid now, chassis leg cleaned up well
    Thanks pal took alot of elbow grease lol

Just a little update as I'm at work took the subframe to be blasted and powder coated it had already been seem welded prior to me buying the car not the neatest job but im sure it does the trick

I dont advice having silver pain in the arse to keep clean lol so i bolted everything back to it along with new ball joints track rod ends and one track arm as it had play and steering rack gaiters and a flesh lick of paint on the rack and arb

Post Thanks / Like

So it was time for the motor to go back in but the header reservoir we old and discoloured so i brought some new ones off a member on here and were perfect and some indicators from gsf £12 for the pair

And its in

Next job was sorting out the water pipes and breathers

Next thing todo was sort some shoddy wiring my plan was remove the connecter of doom and replace with a waterproof loom connecter

And id started to attach the connecters for plug i was changing the original for ill update tomorrow with pics of how it resulted

Post Thanks / Like

Again! nice work mate love this its inspiring!

Post Thanks / Like

Top stuff. I love seeing a car being nursed back to health.