Post Thanks / Like

Nearly MOT time

After 3 years of building my 5 turbo it's about ready for an MOT, it just needs tyres.

I've got a random hybrid turbo that i've built out of bits I had laying around, it has a rebuilt stock R5 GTT core, with a Nissan 200sx S12 rear exhaust housing, and a larger compressor wheel/compressor housing (no idea what it's off)

I'm running the standard actuator which i've wound right out to give as little boost as possible and i'm running a 'standard' carb that was bought from eBay a couple of years ago.

The car runs lovely, but i've never actually driven it anywhere. I will be fitting an AFR, but i won't be doing that until after the MOT.

Is there a way I can adjust the actuator to a standard-ish boost level before I drive it to the MOT center? I'm not going to be giving it any WOT at all until I know the AFRs are correct, but it would be nice to have a little bit of boost on the way there

Once i've got the AFR fitted I could really do with some help to get it set up, ideally just standard boost or whatever suits the carb that is fitted so I can get some reliable miles on the clock before I think about winding the boost up any more.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nearly MOT time

I take it you just want to know how much to wind the actuator in / out to run set psi. You will need a pump or even a compressor and see at what psi the actuator opens.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just drive it anyway, your engine won't see any more boost than your right foot allows, just don't take it over 8lb or so boost

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, i'll have to take it steady then.

Really looking forward to pootling around in it, been sitting inside it with the engine idling for the last 3 years or so and never been able to drive it anywhere!

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it has fresh fuel in it, not stale stuff that's 3yrs old.

Post Thanks / Like

It's used a fair bit of fuel whilst idling so i've had to put in a jerry can recently, the tank has only ever had 5L in at a time so the fuel should be pretty fresh. I'll stick in another 5L fresh tank before I set off.

A friend of mine will be doing the MOT so i'll be able to get it up on a ramp and do a few bits and bobs at the same time. Think i'm going to have to remove the skirts, they keep falling off the clips for some reason. New clips maybe? The clips look alright to me though