Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed on a couple of issues

Right chaps bit of advice needed.
    Numero un issue... oil pressure pain in the arse...
    I've got an electric gauge and the dash gauge wired up, on cold start the dash gauge reads 4 bar and the pod gauge reads 40 psi?..
    Once hot the dash gauge reads 2bar and the pod gauge reads 20psi.
    On high revs neither gauge moves.
    Today me and Mr ash plumbed a mechanical gauge in and on cold start oil pressure read 40 psi, once warm it read 20 psi on tick over, on high rpm it read max 35 psi .
    Is 35 psi enough as not to smash my engines back doors in? Just so you know the same readings showed on my c1j before rebuild with its original oil pump and with a replacement oil pump (not new but checked on rebuild for scoring etc) so any suggestions or has any1 had this same ball ache .

Issue número der.
    Intermittent miss fire after gear changes on boost. 1st of all a new fpr has been fitted, cosie fuel pump new fuel lines and braided lines. Fpr has been set to 6 psi . Reason for these upgrades are because I was going to tune her up for 200bhp (well mr ash was) but as issue número one above reared it's ugly head , the tuning has been knocked on the head. Until solved.
    On boost after certain gear changes I've noticed there is a "hold back"/misfire " this has started since overhaul of fuel system. It's happend in 1st gear setting off on a roundabout. Overtaking , in between gears etc,. But not all the time. I've been using a afr monitor and it is fuelling spot on mid 11,s on boost at 1bar of boost. I've changed the plugs and re checked the new plugs today and they have a nice clean burn on them. Also compression test done today to at mr ashes auto shop. . Showing 150 on 4 pots.

So there we have the two issues. Has any1 got any ideas /advice cheers chaps, mr ash feel free to add or correct anything I might have missed or got wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed on a couple of issues

1st issue - Sounds like the oil pump internals might be worn giving low oil pressure. Also have you got the correct oil filter fitted and what oil are you using?

2nd issue - That sounds like the carb is flooding. What needle valve is fitted? I bet ypu see **** loads of black smoke when it happens?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    1st issue - Sounds like the oil pump internals might be worn giving low oil pressure. Also have you got the correct oil filter fitted and what oil are you using?

2nd issue - That sounds like the carb is flooding. What needle valve is fitted? I bet ypu see **** loads of black smoke when it happens?
    Yeah my thoughts to. was hoping I'm not that unlucky to get two **** oil pumps.. The oil filter ain't a bosh or a fram. If that's what you call it. My next job was to put fresh oil in and change the oil filter to see if that makes a difference. After that a new oil pump . I'm using mobile super s 10/40

There is no black smoke when it happens marrow which is why I'm scratching my head a bit the needle valve is standard as far as I'm aware.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you summed it up well marrow...

Only thing I will add was the oil seemed very thin/watery when we bled some into the pot even when cold... The engines had a rebuild and since the initial flush that oils been in there covering 1800 miles... My thoughts were perhaps fuel has blown by the rings before the sealed properly and has thinned the oil down? Not sure if others have seen this?

Do people run C1J's on 5/40 these days, is it too thin? I know fully synth 10/40 is like hens teeth.

Brigsy, if issue 2 is the needle valve is it just a case of changing it or does the fuel pressure need to be reduced?

Post Thanks / Like

If its a 2mm needle valve fitted change it back to 1.7mm. If that doesnt work you may need to drop the fuel pressure slightly. It could also just be a duff gasket between the carb top and carb body, they can leak with raised pressure.

I would use 10/60 fully synthetic in a high rpm/high boost c1j.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan , I'll change the oil 1st and filter see if that makes any difference. If not oil pump out stick a fresh one in. I'll check to see what needle jet is in and check the carb seal too.