Post Thanks / Like

Welding

Hi guys.Advce please on the best way to sort the area around the rear beam bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding

Ideally, unbolt rear beam, check the underside and get it welded up from both sides and sealed/painted too then refit beam I would have thought. If its just welded from the top you're not sure whats been going on underneath

Post Thanks / Like

Is it actually rotten or just rusty? I know there are a few holes but I have seen loads of gtt's including my own where it looks like this section has been butchered, must be when the rear beam comes off for the first time, or just a case of a heavy handed mechanic......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Is it actually rotten or just rusty? I know there are a few holes but I have seen loads of gtt's including my own where it looks like this section has been butchered, must be when the rear beam comes off for the first time, or just a case of a heavy handed mechanic......
    No mate its not rotten its just been butchered a touch.Im over the initial panic

Post Thanks / Like

You know what its like with these things?You can never just get away with doing the one intended job.The pkan was to change the rear window catches.These are not as straight forward as i thought.After removing the rear trim to get at them i thought i may as well whip the rear door cards off and have them flocked to match the fronts which i had done a while ago.I did manage to change the rear catches and put new window fittings on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That's just a case of who ever un-did the t-bar didn't hold the top end of the bolt, easy mistake. As the top brackets are hex head slots so stops the bolt spinning but is pretty much useless to be honest. If you don't have grip at the top/inside car they spin and tear the thing floor pan mental as seen in the picture.