Whats the fail to installation ratio ?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sid dawns work

Ask Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Not a story that's a fact it was my 5. Full refund was given but not cost for parts and time. And that was on my fresh build. Engine is fine but ******* to refit and new crank seals were needed. Thought I'd put this up ages ago now have standard timing cover bashed out on mine I suggest anyone wanting a vernier just dose the same..
    As above I knew I was I test all it took Was one call and Sid happily refunded me.. I have no hard feelings for Sid it was worth a shot.. Bloody messy though at 120 test run on the private road I only realised as my alternator belt started slipping.. The bay and breaks and tyre was coverd..

Sid even offerd me a new one. I can fault him for trying myself

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Ask Dave.
    exactly!

Man tries to develop new stuff for old engine.

One failure ideas are written off.

Madness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    as i said to Red October when he questioned me on this subject....

when i ran the piper 390 cam, the lift of the cam was quite high and the side to side motion of the pushrods was more than that of a 285 type cam. - i wore grooves into the edge of the pushrods, where it rubbed aginst the head.
    the sleeves are making the pushrod thicker and no doubt they will rub, this will potentially cause the outer sleeve to become disclodged if the friction against the hole through the head is enough?
    i've not currently had a *good* look at Red October's pushrods, as i'm miles away from fitting them yet.
    are they sweated on or epoxied?
    I have witness marks half way down every standard sized pushrod with a piper 285. Ideally i need to open up the head a little. If i ever take it off again i might.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Saleable products with no alpha testing risk the beta testing ending in disaster, like with these rods.

So, without any kind of testing of parts, they must be sold with this communicated fully to the buyer.

Maybe this communication happened. If it didn't, it's something that needs to be put in place by Sid immediately for his own piece of mind as well as for the buyer's information
    Totally. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

I was well aware that the products sid develops are not tried or tested and chose not to risk buying any.On the other hand should this chance it situation even exist.In my opinion all parts made by sid should be first trialed by him in his own car.Thing is he hasnt got one.I would have parted with my money then.

Post Thanks / Like

Given your opinion, everybody would still be driving around with a std engine, suspension and gearbox... Nobody has the £ any more to develop aftermarket performance parts for the mass market... The days of gt tuning and b&b racing are long gone. The fact that most of the big renault tuners have gone bust is tantermount to this. Unless someone has the time, skill and equipment to do short run prototyping - along with people willing to test the parts produced - well then everyone might as well buy a new fiesta st and scrap it after 5 years as that's the way cars are going..
    Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    I was well aware that the products sid develops are not tried or tested and chose not to risk buying any.On the other hand should this chance it situation even exist.In my opinion all parts made by sid should be first trialed by him in his own car.Thing is he hasnt got one.I would have parted with my money then.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that anything other than standard is a risk.. If your buying and fitting 'bolt' on parts then you should really know what your looking at, if you don't, then pay someone who does to do it for you!

For instance, I never used to build my own engines, I used to come up with an idea and he'd tell me if it was possible Or worth it.. He's been building engines since I was a twinkle in my parents eye's, so who's going to know better? It's not my trade at the end of the day.

It's great to see Sid taking the time out of his personal life to try and make other peoples easier, so ye, he didn't test them & perhaps he should have asked someone to try them before selling (I bet only a hand full of people would be willing to do this).

I don't really know why people are wanting to fit aftermarket pushrods anyway? mine only ever bent with the NOS. Never had 1 problem with them, went to belguim done 2 runs and was out for the rest of the weekend....... I did'nt go home and blame my builder, I pulled the engine out, took it up to him and we discussed the reasons & a fix.. some 1500cc pre cross flows were eyed up, machined down & fitted, also the head was opened up at the same time. All at my expense and shortly after a fresh build too..... It's TUFF Sht

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with unleashing on a public forum is it is far too easy to set the wrong tone. It would appear to me that Sid has put in effort to try and make some parts for the GTT that will improve it.

I have not bought anything from Sid to date, but I have been following his threads and I have taken away the fact that he is getting input from members that have a lot of experience with the C1J. Several people have mentioned the rubbing of Push Rods and the probably need to open out the holes.

If someone has sold me a product and told me it would provide the following benefits and it didn't, I might question them. If they were amicable about it and tried to offer a solution or resolution, then I would be very happy.

Like Olly has said, if people were to give up on the GTT then it will slowly fade away, but if people are willing to put time and effort into a project for the benefit of club members, then we we need to take stock. A phone call or email goes a long way before any public slating starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only person missing the point why Dave started this thread instead of the person(s) who had the failure(s)?

Of course, if there's been genuine product failure, then it should be flagged (although maybe this thread isn't the greatest of examples ), but if it's already happened, why has it taken so long to come to light, and why portray it in such a cryptic way?

Totally agree with what Dave Reed said about knowing what you're fitting/testing the components rather than just fitting them willy nilly & expecting them to be/perform perfect. It very rarely happens.

Post Thanks / Like

It's about both parties being in a situation where they can make an informed choice and it is incumbent on both sides to make sure this is established (that the circumstances of the exchange are universally understood and accepted).

The seller needs to know what the buyer expects. The buyer needs to know what he is expecting from the product.

People are paying for these experimental parts remember, that's why this is important.

Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point Trev. It could be as simple as saying "I've knocked these up, but have yet to install them in an engine myself. You may want to turn the engine over slowly to check for clearance." or words to that effect.

I think in the case of the Rockers, most, if not all the potential issues were highlighted. With the Timing Chain Cover, all we are talking about is the method of assembly. I think the fact that an adhesive has been used is not the issue, it's probably just not the right adhesive for the environment. Let's not forget that the Lotus Elise/Exige Chassis is "glued" together and has no problems at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we lock this thread or remove some of the comments ?? or i will blown all out again like it normally does

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably best that we do lock this thread actually as it's beginning to get repetitive. If anyone else has further questions/issues with what they've bought off Sid send him a PM.

Any other concerns please PM a Committee Member

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To all members;

Do you own Sid Dawn Roller Rockers for your 5GTT C1J engine?

Or know anyone that does?

Don't fit them at this time.

Do contact Sid at once.