Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

oil leak from turbo

hi guys been having running problems with my car and tried allsorts with the carb. everynow and again i get a slight bit of smoke from the exhaust so just thought it was overfueling with the carb issues. ive just noticed that there is oil seaping through the joint on the turbo where it bolts onto the head and also oil seeping out on the back of the turbo where it joins to the turbo elbow. does this mean the turbo seals have gone or could it be something else? well annoying as i bought the hybrid turbo 3 years ago and it has never been used on the road until the other week where i went on an hour drive to scoffs. does anyone know where the best place would be to send the turbo? i only did an oil change last week and used valvoline 10w 40 all climate oil. could this be the problem being too thin or thick? i have had a full engine rebuild and it has been run in so thought the 10w 40 would be ok. appreciate any help thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: oil leak from turbo

How is your breather system set up? When does it smoke? On idle?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi mate i have the cup mod set up. it just seems to smoke on idle a little puff every now and again.ive been reading the oil change article on here and it says avoid any that is w 40 because its too thin and ive just 10w 40 so it might be that the oil is getting past the seals. going to try some new oil first

Post Thanks / Like

10w 40 is fine the oil wont be the problem. Check the oil return is not kinked, also dows your breather system ventilate properly.

If oil is dripping out of the rear housing your turbo sounds like it could be at fault? Have you used an inline filter on the oil feed? A bit of swarf off a newly rebuilt engine can damage a turbo in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Try running it without the oil cap on and see if the smoke clears