Post Thanks / Like

Ian S Charge Temp Gauges

Are they still available or would i have to put a wanted ad in the classifieds?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ian S Charge Temp Gauges

i have one,but its going in the 3 Door! Wanted add is the best option or pm the man himself.

Post Thanks / Like

I pm'd him a while ago asking if there was a possibility of producing another batch, he was going to see what he could do with regards to getting all the parts together at a reasonable price

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I to would have another if Ian made some... Would like the version with EGT aswell

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would love one of these too, be happy to put money up front.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

mike rainbird does a very good bit of kit, worked very well on my last rolling road session-

here is the link http://randbmotorsport.co.uk/shop/De...?ProductID=502

will prob give a club discount also if bought in bulk

tnt andy gave me the contact details ages ago, I am surprised more members are not running them

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Trumeter thermistor gauges he was selling before, 6 years or whatever, were sh1t built quality and not fit for purpose which is why I built my own.

Two or three of those older types owned by friends had failed due to over heating of the regulator and breakage of the connection into the air hose.

His new ones are probably also Trumeter gauges but this time thermocouple which is what you want for this task.

However, going by his blurb, I expect they are still sh1t build quality. I did mine with the regulator adequately heat-sinked and away from the temperature sensitive thermocouple chip for good reason.

I used the fastest thermocouple available, it looks like he may have used very very slow ones.

For accuracy I used K-type plugs and sockets and joined the thermocouple leads to the chip pins as stated in the data sheet. He's joining them to the toggle switch which may affect the reading, I never tried that though so can't comment of if it does have an adverse effect. But he data sheets say you should only connect to other K-type material as, if I recall correctly, each joint to something else can create another voltage.

I designed a reasonably rugged and reliable connection into the car top or where-ever and no failures in all those years says I must have done OK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I pm'd him a while ago
    Sorry, been too busy to focus on the task.

Had a quick think to day and I'd guess that making small numbers it'd be nearer to £90 just in parts and perhaps 8 hours to make each one.

Unless I can source those all in one Trumeter gauges that are mentioned above.......Had a look in Conrad and RS but none there.

Would have to phone Trumeter, or whatever, as they went out of business for a day then opened again with another name but that messed me around a lot as they removed their stock for 6 months prior to that and shut their UK office.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 1 and wish i hadn't left it in my old 5, so i'd like another

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Sorry, been too busy to focus on the task.

Had a quick think to day and I'd guess that making small numbers it'd be nearer to £90 just in parts and perhaps 8 hours to make each one.

Unless I can source those all in one Trumeter gauges that are mentioned above.......Had a look in Conrad and RS but none there.

Would have to phone Trumeter, or whatever, as they went out of business for a day then opened again with another name but that messed me around a lot as they removed their stock for 6 months prior to that and shut their UK office.
    Thats all good Ian, i wasn't having a pop, i know you said you were swamped I'm still interested in 3 possibly 4 kits if ever it happens again.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sent a few emails and spoke to someone regarding the all in one K-type displays that are mentioned above. So far it looks like they are discontinued, but we'll know more when I get more replies.