Post Thanks / Like

Are all the 5`s different?? (fueling Q)

Hi all I was just wondering if there is anything minor throwing the fuelling out on my 5 basically I have to have the mixture screw wound out 6-7 turns for the car to idle smoothly and by having a look on the search most say 2 1/2 turns out as a base guide.I cant find any air leaks the car starts runs and drives great is 100% standard doesn't judder hesitate etc,but I do think she may be running rich due to the fact my air filter smells quite strongly of petrol (or is this a 5 thing) and when I checked the plugs they were quite sooty although she has only done 100miles since april and has been on tick over quite a lot messing around with this and that and has only been used for short runs..If I turn the mixture screw back inwards to weaken it she gets very lumpy so turn it back out half a turn at a time till she runs evenly and I always end up at a similar point.Is there something else I should be doing I have cleaned out the idle jet.All the jetting carb etc is standard and nothing appears broken leaking etc.As mentioned the car starts from hot cold fine and drives great just the amount of turns out seems a lot thanks a for any advice..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are all the 5`s different?? (fueling Q)

The mixture screw only controls the CO at idle. I would get the co checked at a garage to see where you are at with you can also check the hydro carbons at the same time.

My carb has the mixture screw wound out around 5 or 6 turns and the car fuels fine

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are all the 5`s different?? (fueling Q)

Thanks for the reply Adam well the CO at idle is 0.6% (well it was at the mot 100miles ago) just wasn't sure on the sooty plugs smelly air filter as I say she feels fine thanks again..