Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Ace Now sit back and enjoy for a few months bud
    I was hoping for years

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with b18ft links

Don't push your luck

Post Thanks / Like

B18ers when bleeding your cooling system do you leave any room in te expansion tank? I know these are high pressured engines but when I leave room it was boiling when I don't it runs fine.. Took me an age and a burnt arm (a lot of pressure in the cap) to get the air out.. What's your preferd methods? The only way I could get the air out was jack te car up.. What do you do and dose all your water pipes feel tight as ****? It seems to run better when they are pressured.. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

since i got the car done from haz ive only needed to top the water up once yet. it been on the rd for 18 months now. where do you have your expansipn bottle located? mines on the bulkhead level with the top of the strut tower, im sure haz said to keep it level with the top of the block. they do run hot but shouldnt be boiling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    since i got the car done from haz ive only needed to top the water up once yet. it been on the rd for 18 months now. where do you have your expansipn bottle located? mines on the bulkhead level with the top of the strut tower, im sure haz said to keep it level with the top of the block. they do run hot but shouldnt be boiling.
    It's looking like it's a massive air lock but I think it's gone now the car was stalling and cutting out on my way home I think it was the water temp sensor getting false readings as when I unplugged it she ran better had to jack the car up as I have mine were the oe air box was took a few times but I think it's got there now.. Ordered one of those coils you mentioned before and a new alternator which I will fit ASAP so we should all be good to go very soon. Hopefully things will settle down now.

Post Thanks / Like

She just doesn't want to give you an easy ride does she mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjibrady View Post
    She just doesn't want to give you an easy ride does she mate
    The thing is I haven't even really pasted it yet. I will get it perfect then have a real go with her keep ticking the bits off the list. More important things in life at the mo but we will get there I don't think there's an old thing on there now.. I knew the alternator was on it's way out and the coil was old for £15 it's worth changing and the alternator was only £40 I got my money back off the saab injectors so it's not actually cost me anything

How's yours Ben?

Post Thanks / Like

Christ taking it's time! Unfortunately it's all out of my control, wish I'd done the same as you and sent it to scoff but I'm commited now.

Literally just getting the loom finished and moving the header tank. Really hope to make it to prescott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjibrady View Post
    Christ taking it's time! Unfortunately it's all out of my control, wish I'd done the same as you and sent it to scoff but I'm commited now.

Literally just getting the loom finished and moving the header tank. Really hope to make it to prescott
    I just totally lost the love and faith in the 5 so off to scoffs it went I had other priorities to handle.. And it's strange it's been in the garage since it's been back iv really lost interest in it now. It will come back one day I hope

Post Thanks / Like

Picture update as requested by woody, for woody

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers..

End of thread really. That's how she is and that's how she will stay now for a good while just got other things on in life with family really.. Still be around though and still might make a few shows if I can.. Thanks to all involved along the way I'd like to say iv enjoyed it lol but I didn't really towards the end but it's nice to know it's in the garage should I want it..

Post Thanks / Like

man thats one huge intercooler...sorry to hear your parking her up but family comes first always. glad to hear its all running right though.

Post Thanks / Like

Least you got there in the end mate, has been a real up and down journey with this 5 hasn't it!

Know how you feel though, you done the right thing parking it up and concentrating on the family. As its done you can always come back to it when you want to
    Hope all is well now with the little one

If you do decide to play with the 5 again, one thing I would suggest is get rid of the dizzy and go coil pack. Map the ignition and you can push bit more out of it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You've probably made the right decision in putting it in the garage other things in life are more important, hope things go ok for your daughter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Least you got there in the end mate, has been a real up and down journey with this 5 hasn't it!

Know how you feel though, you done the right thing parking it up and concentrating on the family. As its done you can always come back to it when you want to
    Hope all is well now with the little one

If you do decide to play with the 5 again, one thing I would suggest is get rid of the dizzy and go coil pack. Map the ignition and you can push bit more out of it
    So seems cheap enough would it have to be fitted and mapped again by scoff?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    Coils don't tend to fail unless they have been bumped and got hairline cracks in the tip.
    You can replace just the coil,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NGK-Ig...item4d0eb35238

This type works to but I wouldn't pay that! Just so you know what to look for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S70-...item5403990b87

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meat-Doria...item2c79011f06

So long as the connector plugs in it will probably work, could be Renault, Volvo Saab etc.
    Tried the one from eBay and it wouldn't work so orderd one from the 2.3 volvo any ideas why the other wouldn't fire the car up? I thought a 12v coil was just a standard one?

Fitted the new 480 alternator so now my light back out it was charging but light was on all the time so I was paranoid.
    Gear selector re aligned
    Just new rear window rubbers and latches todo then that will be EVERY BLOODY THING NEW

Post Thanks / Like

226 miles to £40

Post Thanks / Like

That's roughly similar to my g/f's 1.8 Focus, which is not only dog slow but has soul-less power delivery/drive-ability.

Round town we get about 265 miles off £55 at 130p a litre atm, so maybe worse than what you're seeing! About 28-29mpg.

You're looking at about 33-34mpg based on your figures above. That's not bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Halifax to Santa pod and back which was just over 300 mile round trip cost me £45 in fuel.That was shell nitro as well.

Post Thanks / Like

That's roughly similar to my g/f's 1.8 Focus, which is not only dog slow but has soul-less power delivery/drive-ability.

Round town we get about 265 miles off £55 at 130p a litre atm, so maybe worse than what you're seeing! About 28-29mpg.

You're looking at about 33-34mpg based on your figures above. That's not bad!
    That was mainly tootling around so I guess it's not too bad runs on 14.9 afr tootling and 12.9 full boost. I was worried it was too lean but apparently it's what the engine likes.. I do enjoy not having to watch the Afrs all the time now

Post Thanks / Like

HELP whos the parts whiz? Can you find me a b18ft full headset gaskets for exhaust n all that.. Local factor says discontinued and so do gsf only got a blowing exhaust or something but if im going to strip it i might aswell doit with new gaskets.. Cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    HELP whos the parts whiz? Can you find me a b18ft full headset gaskets for exhaust n all that.. Local factor says discontinued and so do gsf only got a blowing exhaust or something but if im going to strip it i might aswell doit with new gaskets.. Cheers guys
    If it's the manifold gasket i have a new one spare still mate

Post Thanks / Like

If it's the manifold gasket i have a new one spare still mate
    Cheers mark im not sure yet but i will take it send us your paypal on fb bud I think it's the gasket only blows under load

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mark im not sure yet but i will take it send us your paypal on fb bud I think it's the gasket only blows under load
    Have a check first mate, i have a few other gaskets left over still so if you need more i can send them all in one go

Post Thanks / Like

Have a check first mate, i have a few other gaskets left over still so if you need more i can send them all in one go
    Brilliant!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Before I start ripping her apart.. Could the "ticking" noise come trough were the turbo meets the mani? Looks like my metal gasket has failed on one corner.. It dosnt happen on tick over just under load. Then goes away when I floor it.. Would save a lot of work if it is that otherwise I'm thinking manifold gasget..

Post Thanks / Like

Before I start ripping her apart.. Could the "ticking" noise come trough were the turbo meets the mani? Looks like my metal gasket has failed on one corner.. It dosnt happen on tick over just under load. Then goes away when I floor it.. Would save a lot of work if it is that otherwise I'm thinking manifold gasget..
    Well after a few hrs getting the turbo off first thing is one of the corners is missing off my metal gasget??? Too much boost for it keep digging or go with it's that?

Post Thanks / Like

How much extra work is it to get the manifold gasket out? If you can face it, it's probably worth replacing that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

How much extra work is it to get the manifold gasket out? If you can face it, it's probably worth replacing that as well.
    It would be easier to whip the engine out bud.. One nut took me 45mins last night on the t28 not a lot of room for movement under there.. I'm waiting for the gaskets so today I'm just going to do this and realign the exhaust (it's never fitted nice) then refit hopefully it's that then next week if I get them I will re do the lot..if it wasn't for loosing the gearbox oil I'd whip it out now.. Take about 3hrs I think

Post Thanks / Like

So iv been turned to having a sidey.. **** me it's loud lol sounds mental if they didn't here me before they certainly do now on the limiter.. No flames yet though

Post Thanks / Like

i used to have a side exit on my old car, though it did liss my neighbours off at 7am trying to park up after work and getting everyone up. did make a huge diffrence performance wise though. you noticed any difference in how quickly the engine revs up with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Install a full throttle shift device and the flames and loud bangs will be there in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B18ftMOJO5 View Post
    i used to have a side exit on my old car, though it did liss my neighbours off at 7am trying to park up after work and getting everyone up. did make a huge diffrence performance wise though. you noticed any difference in how quickly the engine revs up with it?
    I think its as quick as it was just bloody loud will find out on the 27th if its helped it any althogh i think its just the noise

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a back up b18ft today so all c1j parts are for sale on FB or just pm me I can't upload on here

Post Thanks / Like

How far are you splitting your c1j engine? I could be after a few bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I need to split the head off and see if it was either the hg or head that has issues (oil in water) not water in oil..

So fresh built bottom end with Ep cam
    Piper vernier
    Carb etc when I say everything it was built 3000 miles ago had issues and the lot came out in one.. See my threads.. Everything new

Post Thanks / Like

So at 2500 revs I have a ticking I wouldn't say it's knocking so hopefully caught it early who's having a guess what it is? Bearings or cam top or bottom? Too much boost and right foot I'm not complaining at 200+bhp iv nailed it ALOT! Either way I will sort it

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely not the exhaust leaking again, like you had before? Different noise this time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    It's definitely not the exhaust leaking again, like you had before? Different noise this time?
    Nope tried that first.. Need to do one more journey in her then sumday day night I will have the sump off.. It sounds painfull this time.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You know you cursed the bloody thing when you mentioned about taking that engine crane / jig down last weekend mate!

Sorry to hear this. Hope it's nothing major and you get it sorted pal.

Post Thanks / Like

What sump sealant is everyone using?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys I'm back after a winter fall out with the 5 and family stuff to take care of but now the weather is hopefully changing and family life calming down perhaps after a few months not even looking at the 5 I might have my love back for her..

So were I'm at now unfortunately due to a lack of oil my bottom ends knocking (hopefully just shells) in the mean time iv stripped the interior out the 5 to fit a cage and buckets I can't get any more out the engine yet so she's loosing weight.. Found a little bit of the dreaded tin worm on my passenger side so that's getting taken care of first.. Love to hate these 5s but she's not going any were this summer I think..

Hope your all well :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you paul. Mine off road while after an accident. i move houses friday so shes got a garage to go in finally. so should back on the rd in no time. Im driving a golf at the minute

Post Thanks / Like

Alright guys?

Well i havent posted here much latley i know been busy with family life and the 5s off the road this year im having a full strip down under the car and found some rust and holes inder the rear jacking points but hey shes an old gal so to be expected i guess.. New callipers all round new lines throughout beam off having new rear arm bushes fitted into the beam as mine are all split. New everything really underneath fully stripping the floor of all old sealer and then por 15 the lot will be clean enough to eat your dinner off hopefully. Scary to think its so rusted and thats what holds the rear axel in place.. Please do look at yours they are ageing now. New compensator as well as all lines were original how tey got through mots i do not know never leaked but very rusted at the joins. Thays about it really for me this year i will be at shows but not in the 5 this year hope your all well?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you and family are well. Look forward to actually meeting you in the flesh at ND mines in for mot coming monday.

Post Thanks / Like

And you bud

Family's getting there bud youngest has a long road ahead of her but shes strong and happy so were happy at that for the min just take it day by day really.. I definitely need some pod inspiration that's for sure all interior is out now I have a cage and buckets ready to go in once the welding a done.. Then some slicks and hopefully some better times I lost a lot of time bloody wheel spinning as a fraze I heard " spinning ain't winning" then hopefully maybe a little more engine mods might be possible in the future we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like ur into street outlaws paul like loads of us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5MJH View Post
    sounds like ur into street outlaws paul like loads of us
    Yep iv driven mine for nearly 4yrs now mrs hates it can't have the kids init I was hammering it to work and back.. So why not just use it for pod? I spent £££££ doing it up and killed two engines in 6000miles so my theroy is if I only use it for pod it should last years watched outlaws since day 1 and all other program's on sky at the min the mrs hates it 13.9 wasn't bad but I know she can do better..

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the groundwork being done