Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

900bhp on a f7 engine

okay may be im being very sceptical, but what would you need to achieve this on a say 2.0 f7engine, over looking how long it would last before a rebuild,

im thinking, forged rods and pistons, and probably the crank also for longer runs, fully balanced, fully ported willy head + megane inlets or possibly mi16valve (if they do infact fit), or forged items, something like bp300 or bp320 profile cams+ shims, uprated valve springs and titanium caps, arp f4r head bolts/or the m12 /12.9 tensile items gtx4780r or similar spec twin scroll turbine set up, fabricated inlet/exhaust manifolds, twin injection setup with 3500cc , 02m gearbox and twin plate clutch, prob a helix or spec job,

would a pace dry sump be needed, and would a stroked 2.0 litre be to weak to cope with the high rpm/ high boost application

thinking long...... term upgrade project
    either that or clio/lagunna 3.0 v6 engine
    Last edited by HAndy; 10-06-2013 at 19:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 900bhp on a f7 engine

Throw the renault motor in the bin and fit a k20, b16-18 honda motor job jobbed!!!!!! Also stock b series gearboxes are known to hold 700hp+ in stock configuration and have gone low 9's

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is not if you can get 100000000000000bhp but how long the engine can hold them if you like to make a run and then open the engine that s fine then

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see why a 2l b18 or 4g63 can and a 2l Renault not. If everything was fully forged and the head flowed perfectly, special cams made etc... Why not? After that I guess its just a case of the block or head failing
    Look at scoff he's close to those figures all be it f4r but same princible really.
    How reliable is a 900hp b18 or 4g63?

Post Thanks / Like

Rstuning is currently busy building something like it.
    Using the f4r engine though.

Revs would make it far easier but keep the rev limit below or around 8000rpm and it will be fine i guess, pistonspeed wise though.

Post Thanks / Like

Because its not always about the parts you can fit. Bore and stroke side loading, head design, crankshaft design think maximum rpm, combustion chamber shape, exhaust and inlet runner angles, valve train weight and geometry. under piston cooling etc etc I know by adding a bar of boost your are effectively doubling the engines ve but what happens when you add another bar and then another on top of that?

Post Thanks / Like

How reliable is a 900hp 2l engine? Guys in the states are know to have cars that are daily driven around those power levels and at the weekend run low 9 high 8 second 1/4's at 160mph+

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Because its not always about the parts you can fit. Bore and stroke side loading, head design, crankshaft design think maximum rpm, combustion chamber shape, exhaust and inlet runner angles, valve train weight and geometry. under piston cooling etc etc I know by adding a bar of boost your are effectively doubling the engines ve but what happens when you add another bar and then another on top of that?
    Could a lot of that ie valve angles, cumbustion shape etc... Be machined differently in the head obv at a lot of cost. Excuse any ignorence.

Post Thanks / Like

a guy i work with is in with the drag guys and has been for years - the american and VW air cooled kind of engines.
    he mentioned a while ago that the engine longevity that dragsters use are measured in basically revolutions.

so how long do you want the 900bhp engine to last for?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault f engine is a good engine, has oil sprays etc , why is it so crap compared to the b16-18 lumps, those engines are prob no better than the f engine from the factory, only difference is there is a huge aftermarket parts scene that's been developed in the states due to the cult following.

pretty sure Renault engines could achieve the same results if they had the developed parts thrown at them?

what type of valve train do they b 16/18 engines run?

there are other types of engine out there that are just as powerful

Post Thanks / Like

Well the biggest fundamental problem is the bore stroke ratio.
    Because of the long stroke you won't be able to rev very high without exotic piston speeds and because of the small bore you're not able to fit bigger valves.

I know it would make sense fitting a honda engine or the likes for big power but i think a bit the same as you do: we want to drive and tune renaults so then just keep it renault.

Other than the transmission btw which is just a long shot!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd need to liner the block too.. Anything is possible at the end of the day, perhaps you should give it a go Handy

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    a guy i work with is in with the drag guys and has been for years - the american and VW air cooled kind of engines.
    he mentioned a while ago that the engine longevity that dragsters use are measured in basically revolutions.

so how long do you want the 900bhp engine to last for?
    A top fuel nitro engine spends approximately 900 revolutions under full load before requiring a full rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL485 View Post
    A top fuel nitro engine spends approximately 900 revolutions under full load before requiring a full rebuild.

Sounds like a c1j

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    Renault f engine is a good engine, has oil sprays etc , why is it so crap compared to the b16-18 lumps, those engines are prob no better than the f engine from the factory, only difference is there is a huge aftermarket parts scene that's been developed in the states due to the cult following.

I'm not saying its a crap engine just not as good, if it were I would still own my raider and have an f series engine in it. I did not end up with a civic and a b series engine because I liked them I just want to go fast . I know rpm is not the be all and end all but look at the difference in max rpm's between the engines, a mildly messed about with honda engine will happily see 10500-11000+ rpm, not forgetting revs x torque =hp. Also to make that 900hp you talk of is going to need a fairly big blower to make those kind of numbers, on a 1800-2000cc motor your not likely to see any real boost before 6000-7000 rpm so as it comes on boost you run out of rpm.
    pretty sure Renault engines could achieve the same results if they had the developed parts thrown at them?

what type of valve train do they b 16/18 engines run?

there are other types of engine out there that are just as powerful
    Yes there are like the 4g63 !!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Anything is achievable if you throw enough time and money at it, however, to achieve 900hp with off the shelf parts is a tall order. Effectively you're talking about the kind of performance that was being achieved in the mid 80s by bmw's f1 4pot engine. And they barely lasted a race without a rebuild. Would love to see it done but think it would be a case of custom everything bottom end wise - crank, very short skirt pistons etc etc and effectively a completely reworked head - much like was done to the super tourers in the 1990s - anyone whoes seen under the bonnet of the Nissan primera super tourers will know what I mean! If anyone's got a spare £50k would love to see it done though!! ;-)