Post Thanks / Like

engine size internal changes

in the case of the early atmo engines can you just swap out the liners and pistons for bigger items to increase capacity, ie from 1ltr to 1.1ltr to 1.2ltr to 1.4ltr. been along time since ive played with a C and cant for the life of me remember anything right now, might be the beer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: engine size internal changes

and a bit of internet searching turn up the differences on bore and stroke in the different sizes. without checking liners for fitment it looks like the 956cc could possibly go to 1108cc or 1239cc with a piston swap retaining the same stroke.

any one know if its possible to do this, will the heads need swapping over too?

Post Thanks / Like

in a word no. (i dont think so)
    the hole in the block that the liner sits in will be a different size.
    i did this to a mk1 - i ended up using a 1397cc block and bolting a 1.1 head on.

i.e whatever you have got planned..... use a gtt block, and grind off the castings that aint needed on the outside to fit the bay.
    i used N/A pistons from an extra van, a turbo oil pump and got the cam reground to a N/A 285 piper r5 cam (actually 288deg) (compression was about 11.2:1 static with a N/A head gasket and about 10.4:1 with a gt turbo gasket on)
    went ok for an N/A
    video of it with the owner after me at a local street race place....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg2k0rKWpcQ

Post Thanks / Like

Did u use the mk1 flywheel on it? I take it bolted up fine to the gearbox? Thinking of putting a slightly bigger engine in the 8 as I'm sure the 50 year old engine needs to come out anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

the mk1 flywheel fitted the gt turbo crank i used

if you wanna see summat really interesting have a read of this link...

http://renaultccc.proboards.com/inde...65&page=1#6639

Post Thanks / Like

Wow interesting stuff there sparkie. I don't want to goad with mine, ideas for my 8 project but was thinking of getting a 1200 or 1400 from the scrap yard chucking my 8 flywheel on and putting it in the 8, do u think it'll be easy enough? I'd love to find a gordini engine but they are strong change for an old engine.

Over skimmed head, webber and decent exhaust on a 1400 I'd hope would get me 80ish bhp? No idea with the Renault atmo engines though

Post Thanks / Like

if its a 1289 cc block it will bore out to a 1397....did it years ago with an R12...my compression ended up at about 11:1 though! the smaller engines might be stroked,check the bore stroke data in the manuals for a possible link

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little inclined to not touch the original engine tbh, there are next to no 63 8,s left so I'd like to keep the original engine for a later date. Swapping out in the mean time is on the cards for defo though. It's a 900 and something cc in mine

Post Thanks / Like

i definately remember seeing this for sale, as someone commented on the rarity of it.
    keep the engine.
    i think you may need to check to see if the r8 gearbox will bolt to the 1397cc block - i bet it will. if the clutch is small, say about a 180mm clutch, then the mk1 flywheel should do? - i think i might have a N/A one lying around...
    all you need to do is get the gt turbo block and grind off the bits that stick out so it mimics the OE R8 block, so it'll fit.
    gordini N/A engines are mega rare, so even if you did find one, expect to pay strong money for one.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a 160mm clutch in there. I've sent u a link of its add sparkie