Post Thanks / Like

Car won't start help please.

I've removed and refitted the engine recently, changed the engine loom at the same time. I'm now at a stage where I want to start it but its not happening :-(

I'm getting ignition lights but the engine is not turning over, I can't hear the fuel pump or anything. What have I done wrong ? Would having the wires to the alt on the wrong terminals cause any of these problems ? That all I can think of at the moment.

The battery is completely gone so I'm using my other car and jump leads to try and turn it over. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car won't start help please.

Is it not turning over full stop? Ie no starter motor? Check the wires to it and the earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Change the battery dude. I've had cases where a dud battery has prevented a charge being pumped through from another power source. Sounds weird, I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Is it not turning over full stop? Ie no starter motor? Check the wires to it and the earth.
    No not at all mate, wireing is all as should be, earths are good and it's a new loom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    Change the battery dude. I've had cases where a dud battery has prevented a charge being pumped through from another power source. Sounds weird, I know.
    Yeah I'll try that I suppose. Cheers pal

Post Thanks / Like

The fuel pump doesn't pump until the car is cranking have you a multimeter mate? also have you got the push on wire the spade terminal one on the starter ? if you have take it off and check to see if your getting a live down that wire when trying to start ? have you put earth wire onto bulkhead on a painted surface if so clean it back to bare metal sounds daft but alot of people have done it? the eyelets on the alternator wires are sized so only go on one terminal really also check the multiplug on engine loom is clean and pushed on tight ? report back when you have tried that buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    The fuel pump doesn't pump until the car is cranking have you a multimeter mate? also have you got the push on wire the spade terminal one on the starter ? if you have take it off and check to see if your getting a live down that wire when trying to start ? have you put earth wire onto bulkhead on a painted surface if so clean it back to bare metal sounds daft but alot of people have done it? the eyelets on the alternator wires are sized so only go on one terminal really also check the multiplug on engine loom is clean and pushed on tight ? report back when you have tried that buddy
    Yeah just check the live and earth to starter and they are all good. I sanded the earth point down on the block before securing the earth.

Got a mate coming down with a battery in a minute so will see if that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Positive to the starter spade and earth to battery bought this reading up

Same happens if I earth it to the starter bolts

Post Thanks / Like

Is the white wire that goes from the starter to the connection block good. I had to renew mine and bypass the connector block.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    Is the white wire that goes from the starter to the connection block good. I had to renew mine and bypass the connector block.
    All the engine wireing is brand new mate. I just pulled the starter out and run it to a battery and its spinning freely

Post Thanks / Like

1) Charge the battery
    2) disconnect the petrol feed hose to the carb and when you turn on the ignition, petrol should come out of this hose?
    3) if no fuel coming thro, check fuel pump (as you have done) and relay. Bridge if required.
    4) are you getting a spark? take of king lead and check?
    5) "engine is not turning over" - TDC sensor connected? plugged into aei? If starter is connected and working, this should turn the engine.

Have a check and feedback

Post Thanks / Like

10v wont crank the starter mate, get a new batt on

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the connector block by the passenger side head lamp? I think the starter live runs into the far side of the connection. Make sure you have power there. My cable is loose non engine wiring loom side and if it falls out... No starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys, gonna bang a new battery on it tomorrow and get my spare starter refurbed just incase. hopefully that will be it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKinnear View Post
    Have you checked the connector block by the passenger side head lamp? I think the starter live runs into the far side of the connection. Make sure you have power there. My cable is loose non engine wiring loom side and if it falls out... No starter.
    It's a brand new loom, no loose connectors at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I thought it was just a brand new engine wiring loom. Not a full replacement.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Post Thanks / Like

New battery and starter on there now and sti getting the same problem ? I've run a earth to the block direct from the battery and no change. Seriously stumped at the minute.

Post Thanks / Like

mine did this and it was the relay by the aei unit i had to change the wireing over i know a few others have had the same problem

Post Thanks / Like

I hate wireing, if hitting things with a hammer don't work I'm generally screwed.

Cheers though I'll have a nose around that area for anything obvious

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    mine did this and it was the relay by the aei unit i had to change the wireing over i know a few others have had the same problem

Post Thanks / Like

thats the problem you wont see anything let me have a look at mine and see if i can reamember what i did or i will try find the old post 2 minutes

Post Thanks / Like

I have copied this from when Chris had a similar problem try this and see if it helps

Try this mate and tell me if you get a spark coming out the king lead when it's attached on the aei
    The yellow wire you are getting a live from when the ignition is on bridge that straight into the other yellow wire feeding the aei you can take the relay out to do this and you can see where you need to bridge it I think that will cure your problem don't ask me why but I had the same problem as you and this cured it let me know if it works then ill tell you what to do next if you don't understand cause I'm s**t at explaining things mate give me a bell 07814518971

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem too and this fixed it, after a quick over the phone walkthrough from mark it really was easy to do mate Hope it gets you sorted.. Ill see if I can dig out a pic of the finished article.

EDIT
    Had a quick look and found a couple pics,

You just need a small length of wire and two male connectors..

Then you unplug the relay mounted on the bulkhead close to the AEI unit,and as Phil says you only need to connect the two yellow wires to eachother..

Sorry about the crap quality of pics, they look as though they were taken with a Nokia 3210
    Last edited by BabybluGTT; 23-05-2013 at 13:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one, cheers for that lads, I'll check that out in the next few days.

Post Thanks / Like

always remember to connect both large terminals on the back of the starter. I'm a Ming and I don't care !!!

Post Thanks / Like

You muppet ha.

Aei relay doesn't affect starter operation guys, just the spark/power to aei

Post Thanks / Like

try a long wire from battery positive and touch it on the connector where the little white wire pops on,(its tricky as you'll probably crap yourself as it sparks a tiny bit then turns the engine over) this wiill prove if the main live to starters good/batterys good/starters good/engine earths good, 9/10 dodgy startings the old loom to the starter trigger wire.

Obviously make sure its in neutral and fingers away from flywheel and stuff, also dont touch the wire on anything else other than the trigger wire.