Post Thanks / Like

Mocal coolers

Couple of questions for those that run the Mocal oil cooler...

What length are the hoses that come with the GTT kit? (from ThinkAuto or Rally Design)

I assumed there'd be one Mocal sandwich plate (apart from their thermostatic type) for the C1J engine, but it appears the 788/GTT type has its own part number, and is a fair bit more expensive as well, typically - Anyone know why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mocal coolers

I'll have a measure up tomorrow for you if know one else has by then.

But then again I bout a clio kit for mine £115 with a 16 row cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Cgb 100quid, hoses quite long but fit gtt sandwich plate. Think that's a 10row could be 13row wouldn't run any bigger without a stat anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry mike has just corrected me its just the fitting kit that is modal and its just a universal 13row cooler looks fine to me tho. Also for 100quid you get rubber hoses not braided and have to use std sandwich plate. Its more for braided and for a stat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks chaps, but doesn't really answer the questions

I know about oil cooler setups in general but I don't understand why there's a separately listed Mocal sandwich plate that's specific to the GTT model, as opposed to just fitting a normal Mocal n/a R5 sandwich plate?

As far as I'm aware, the fitment is identical, and it's the pump that regulates flow etc, so I don't know what other differences there could be within a simple sandwich plate?

To show what I mean, see here: http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product...oducts_id=2176

Yet when I mentioned that it was for my GTT, the guy on the phone said I'd need an alternative sandwich plate...which was another £20.

ThinkAuto said similar, so either there's some snidey mark-up because I mentioned the money-spinning 'turbo' word, or there is something different with the GTT sandwich plate as opposed to the n/a type?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I noticed in that read up was they mention larger engines have a 5/8 hose so perhaps the standard 1.4 is smaller id hose and the gt the larger?

Have you asked them what the difference is in the sandwhich plates? I find them pretty is fail normally..

Post Thanks / Like

Mart I think you just need to file an edge off the normal one to miss the engine mount.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

All the Mocal R5 plates come with 1/2bsp threaded holes (unless you specifically ask for 5/8bsp), then it's upto you which hose connector you screw into that/use; eg, 1/2bsp again, push-on, etc.

I did ask the RalDes guy, but he didn't know, and didn't have any stock to compare.

However, a man in the know has just PM'd me to say it's to do with a longer bolt, but again, I don't see why the Mocal GTT plate would be thicker than their n.a type, or why I couldn't just use the Mocal n.a plate (and save myself £20 (for a bolt?!) in the process).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Mart I think you just need to file an edge off the normal one to miss the engine mount.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Long time, no sees

Now I'm even more confused as I didn't think there was any difference between the n.a & GTT engine mounts? (apart from maybe having a higher shore rating?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    But then again I bout a clio kit for mine £115 with a 16 row cooler.
    The F-series sandwich plate fits the C1J then? Straight fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    The F-series sandwich plate fits the C1J then? Straight fit?
    I'm pretty sure but it was about five years ago. I just had to change the threaded bit that screws through the centre of the sandwich plate but I had that anyway.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If their "kit" contains the thermostatic sandwich plate then the normal one fouls the engine mount (or did back in the day). Perhaps they redesigned one to suit the c1j? As Miller says, one way round it is to hack the mount a bit to get it to fit if that is the reason for price differences.

Another way round it is to just buy it all component direct from think and retain the oe plate. Just need to use some male / male threaded adaptors along with push fit female fittings on the plate and just push fit on the cooler. That way you can chose the lenght of pipe to suit your own install. (and if you want temp control, bosh an inline stat in the run). That's how I ran mine

Post Thanks / Like

This spacer that fits GTT and the clio's so I can't see why the cooler kit would t fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-GT-TURBO...item232a71e071

this looks very much like the auction I bought from many years ago. With the upgrade to 16 for £6.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-SP...item1c31dee257

Post Thanks / Like

I know one of the c1j blocks needs a different threaded adaptor bolt, mocal couldnt supply the correct one so i had to get one made. The extra £20 is probably for the bolt they supply?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a c1j sandwich plate on my b18ft was a straight fit using the c1j bolt. I then changed to a mocal one with a stat and had to screw a bolt into the block then screw onto that through the s-plate if that makes sense and if that's any help at all
    Last edited by SCHWARTZ; 08-05-2013 at 12:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Logg, spooky that you should link that Ebay advert, as I emailed that 'Mattyzx' guy yesterday to ask if I could purchase that exact same kit, albeit with a GTT sandwich plate (I wasn't sure at the time if the F-series & C1J plates were the same).

His reply was he didn't know if he could get hold of a GTT plate. However, it seems from your other link, that the F-series & C1J plates are indeed the same regardless

Andy, I did think about that, and to make it even cheaper/easier, I could retain the o.e oil lines as well (albeit cut them before the metal pipes that go into the radiator), which then meant just purchasing a bit of hose, an inline 'stat, and obviously the cooler itself. However, I'm trying to keep that side of the engine bay free of clutter (you'll understand when you see the new blower setup), so that wouldn't work, plus, more of a concern, the last inline 'stat I had failed to open after only a few months use.

Brigsy, I'm beginning to think the extra £ is for the bolt, but I can't get my head round why I can't just fit the n.a plate (kit that's showing in the RalDes link, that I posted above), and as said before, I don't recall there being any difference between the n.a & GTT engine mounts, so surely if one plate or mount had to be trimmed to fit, you'd have to do the same if fitting the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    I had a c1j sandwich plate on my b18ft was a straight fit using the c1j bolt. I then changed to a mocal one with a stat and had to screw a bolt into the block then screw onto that through the s-plate if that makes sense and if that's any help at all
    That confirms the C1J & F-series are the same then

Post Thanks / Like

I dont recall any difference on the campus/gtt metal part of the mount mate, the blocks are virtually the same so i see no reason why it wont fit

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, hence my confusion as to why Mocal offer a different plate (with, by the sounds of it, a different bolt) for the GTT, when the n.a kit would (should) bolt straight on, saving £20 along the way.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a kafuffle! I can't offer much advice apart from I know you need to nibble away a bit of the O/S front engine mount to fit a Mocal GTT sandwich plate with the built in 'stat.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Alex

Decided to play safe and retain the o.e plate. Gonna risk an inline 'stat again though.

Now just need to source one, and a cooler...

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=33110