Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Speed Season

Quiet an eventful start to the 2013 speed season. At the penultimate round last year Doris dropped a valve so it was a repaired engine that lined up for the first event at 3 Sisters.

As always the repairs wernt without problems with a subsequent mapping session at scoffs demonstrating a 20 BHP loss for no obvious reason

Anyway compounded to that BHP issue my fellow competitors had developed their cars over the off season and now Mr Russell (Fishy) Herring had a Gripper diff and some other suspension set up mods he was going to see a serious increase in performance. To cap it all they all had the Advan Neova tyre from Yokohama that is a road legal track day tyre.

Anyway long story short I managed to lead the class in the wet but come the dry runs and I was wopped and to add insult to injury another inlet valve broke and I went home on a truck again a distant third with my best time on the drying track.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2013 Speed Season

Gutted for you Russell

I really do like the look of your car and would love a go at sprinting myself one day.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

OK so 2 weeks to fix her again before the next event at Aintree and this time we changed all the inlet vlaves.

I was up against some of the quickest cars in the North of England in the form of the Midland Speed Champioinship contenders which included our own Tony Hart of Prima Racing who was campaiging a Clio Williams. He had supplied the parts to repair Doris and in return I had advised him to swap the Toyo Proxes he had on his car for the Advan Neova's. That wasnt such a great move as in 2nd practice Tony's son Peter took 2 seconds off the class record held by me up to that point.

If I went home on a truck again Doris would have completed a very dubious hat trick!

My first practice run was a complete failure due to me leaving the bonnet undone but added to that my bloody mysterious cut out returned with a vengence

I fiddled with some leads off the altenator and hoped for the best, I dont know if I hit on the problem but she behaved after that.

Into the timed runs and on race boost she held together but my terminal speed was down by 4 MPH on last year 113 to 109 and I was 0.4 of my record. Not a bad effort but way of the Pace set by Team Primma.

Out of the 7 runners left in the class a top running Golf and Ian Butchers R5GTT had been retired after practice I was 6th, this was a very quick group of drivers in the class.

last run I determined to break later for the last corner. I gave it my all sliding the back end through the second corned just making the exit down the straight flat out in 4th gear, huge speed in 4th, over 6K revs, past the marker board and brake for the corner.....

I hit the middle pedal which is solid with no travel but Doris ploughs on with no decereration BRAKE! I scream in my helmet, a huge adrenalin surge and I give the middle pedal everything Ive got to no avail. I enter the corner in a blind panic and way way too fast. I try and steer but she just understeers onto the the grass of the National course and Im heading straight for my old friend the fence after Beachers Brook.

I know that I cant stop so I try and steer but the wheels have no bite on the grass, I try to accelerate but they just spin and Im still heading straight for the fence. Then I spot a glimmer of hope.

All the fences have been remade and they are just a bit shorter then they used to be with a gap between them and the perimiter fence. I head for the gap.

When I get there I see that its full of sand with a 2 foot drop onto the sand. I fly through the gap and bounce around which finally slows me down enough to steer back onto the course and complete my run.

New underwear required!

Anyway all seems well and I will be having discussion with the pit crew surrounding a replacement brake servo.

Harewood on the 11th May is the next event and full power down the hill is going to take some re established confidence in the old girls brakes!
    Last edited by RussellT; 29-04-2013 at 10:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant read! How's Ian butchers car is he still haveing problems?

Post Thanks / Like

She was loosing oil and I last saw him pulling out of the start queue just in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like

try this link to the picture of the corner and the fence I managed to go around

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...06877&t=h&z=17

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh that's a shame it was my old car is there a website to view pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to read this Russle, obviously, the performance could be better, but glad to read of your antics.

Sorry to here Your cutting out is still there.

Post Thanks / Like

there are a few here http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=1862808092

I think I must have been moving too fast for him

Post Thanks / Like

Back from another day of top club motorsport, this time at Harewood Hill Climb. Ian Butcher was back out so we had 2 Renault 5 GT turbos taking on the mighty Honda Integras and the class leading Pug 205 of James Kerr.
    We had a day of intermittent showers with sunny spells that dried the track rapidly in the breezy coditions.
    James Kerr ran a mighty 67.87 sec in first practice. I was very wary in Doris having just got her back yesterday with the new servo (thanks Mike of GT Turbo spares). I suspect that there might be some air inthe system yet but they did work which is a bonus. Also present was my cut out and I could only manage a 71.06 run. Ian was on 71.49.

Second practice and I got a clean run with no cut outs to post 70.08 James ran another high 67 and Dan Hollis was the top Integra in second spot on 68.86. Ian was hard on my heels with a 70.40 after I had told him he stood no chance without a Gripper Diff.

Then we had lunch and it rained. Timed run 1 saw James car seize its alternator and it looked like he would be out but he just cut of the belt drive and ran onthe battery.

I managed a 70.28 for 3rd place just behind Dans 69.45 and James well in front on 67.62. Ian was on 71.41 for 6th in a very close class. 2nd time run and with more confidence in my brakes I was delighted with a committed 68.57 a tad behind Dan who improved to 68.28 Ian also had his best run with 69.72 a stonking time considering its basicaly a standard car.

Last run and I tried to banzai it but just locked up down the hill and then cut out again upthe quarry straight. No change inthe top 3 Ian was 6th just over a second behind Doris. With the diff I expect him to beat me

Next event for me should be Barbon on the 15th June.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by RussellT; 12-05-2013 at 16:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see Ian's making progress he has a piper 270 cam and t2/25 at a bar of boost with forge actuator would be nice to see him wind it up abit

Post Thanks / Like

I told him to book her into Scoffs to check the fueling and see if he can safely run a bit more boost. He needs a bigger intercooler too just on a standard sized metal one at the moment. He has the Yoko Advan Neova AD08 tyres that I couldn't get to fit my car so I need to try them again.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good to hear russ, shame you have had some gremlins..... do you run in road going??, I think you do but thought id ask.
    good to hear of all your antics etc, I hope to be doing some of my own soon.. if I can ever afford the slicks....., keep us updated russ!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

yes road modified drive there and back again (on a good day, that is )

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to get involved in this

Post Thanks / Like

Yes definatly need shot of that cooler it was on when I bought it. I did buy a front mount but that went pretty quick when I decided to sell it. What's the specs of your car Russell?

Post Thanks / Like

I put a short film onto YouTube on how to go sprinting and hill climbing and its very easy, here is a link

http://youtu.be/OirF458TsOo

A list of Doris modifications;

ENGINE:
    K+N cone air filter.
    Hybrid Turbo supplied by Europarts
    Cup Mod to wastegate actuator circuit
    Removed anti perc fan
    Insulated Silicone boost hoses
    Alloy front mounted intercooler
    BB Tuning alloy Carb elbow
    Dechoked enlarged venturi rejetted carb by Europarts
    Manifold and head ported by Europarts
    Europarts Cam
    Lightened and balanced crank and flywheel
    Uprated fuel pump and fuel filter
    Engine brace
    Devil strut brace
    Modified breather circuit with catch tank
    K Tec stainless 2.5” exhaust.
    Adaptronic ECU mapped by Scoff wasted spark ignition, launch control
    Oil cooler
    Forged pistons and rods

TRANSMISSION:
    Volvo clutch
    Gripper LSD, R11 turbo final drive

SUSPENSION:
    Leda coil over dampers 300lb/in springs
    Spax adjustable rears
    Proflex bushes
    TAS Quick rack

BODYWORK:
    K Tec carbon fibre over fibreglass bonnet
    Perspex plate behind the rear axle
    Safety Devices half cage
    Sparco Sprint race seat with race harness.
    Front splitter (also very handy as a tyre wall deflector)

BRAKES:
    Hi Spec motorsport 4 pot fronts with 285mm vented fronts larger master cylinder
    Braided flexible hoses.

WHEELS :
    Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 15” wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Do you plan to go efi Russel? are you allowed to?

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great vid russ top stuff, my footy career is coming to an end and i will need a hole filling this sounds right up my street,

Post Thanks / Like

Scoff and I discussed it and I was going for it but having checked with my clubs eligability scutineer (who owned a 5 back in the day) he said that I couldnt as no R5GT turbos came with EFI.

Before i do anything I need to sort my mystery cut out. I spent a few minutes wiggling wires about this afternoon but she didnt miss a beat.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it specific to the SRs Russ. As in carb cars cannot run efi, but efi cars can run carbs?
    I always thought if it was road going with tax mot etc, then it was eligible.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Matt James Kerr's 205 is on carbs but there were 205's that ran carbs. There was a R5 Monaco with fuel injection but that was a totally different engine to the C1J.

I dont want to spend some serious money and then run into a class eligibility issue and the guy in question isnt someone you can have a debate with.

Right now I have 2 priorities try and stop that cut out and get the AD08 tyres on my car. They are a 1B tyre on list 1A in my view so you have to use them or be no where.

Post Thanks / Like

there were r5's that ran injection....only mono point though!

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie was that the 1700 Monaco version, thats the only reference I could find.

if there was a fuel injected CIJ it would proably mean I could run a modern EFI system as you are just updating something that was available as standard, but I would have to check that.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm sure there was a campus, with the C3J 702, C3J 760, C3J 700 engine codes that had a cat and monopoint injection. It was a 1397cc unit. whether you can then run multipoint injection instead of monopoint is going to be down to the rules and regs?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your cutting out on hard boost / cornering Russ? Could be fuel surge? Can you data log what's going on??

Perhaps time for a swirl pot and lift pump? Or even just the crude set up à la cup car??
    Last edited by Andy M; 13-05-2013 at 20:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Idea Andy and it does happen on competition runs more than normal driving and then its more on the motorway but it can also happen at idle. Its such a sudden and complete off followed by a rapid back on and very loud missfire that it just has to be electrical.

latest idea is that its interferrence so I have ordered a wire mesh bandage from Kemtron to shield the lead from the trigger wheel sensor and earth.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RussellT View Post
    Good Idea Andy and it does happen on competition runs more than normal driving and then its more on the motorway but it can also happen at idle. Its such a sudden and complete off followed by a rapid back on and very loud missfire that it just has to be electrical.

latest idea is that its interferrence so I have ordered a wire mesh bandage from Kemtron to shield the lead from the trigger wheel sensor and earth.
    Russ , try another engine earth or gearbox earth, I had this problem and it did mine, not saying it will buddy but worth a shot...
    also do you have the overboost sensor connected???.....

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the 1.7 engines were n/a. Ive had loads but in europe there was a gte version that ran injection. Cant remember the engine code.

Post Thanks / Like

my old L reg 1.4 campus prima had single point injection, also the turbo 1/2 is a renault 5

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thoroughly enjoyed the read

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked in the blue book.....
    Can't find anything that says you can't fit efi.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly if it doesnt say yoiu can you cant....

Which means that just about every car thats competative is ileagal.

They are all remapped and thats not mentioned.
    My view is that the Blue Book regs for Road Going Series Production cars needs a complete rewrite starting with

"The car must have been originally sold and registered for use on the public highway (some race series cars have been put back into road legal trim but there is no telling what modifications have been made to the shell) and everything has to be as the car was sold to the public or have been a dealer supplied option apart from....." and then go on to list allowable modifications.

Post Thanks / Like

Hitting an apex for once

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/...e.asp?ID=11502

Ian taking a very aggresive line into Orchard tends to make the second part too tight and coprimise the exit (as well as your sump!)

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/...e.asp?ID=11584

Believe it or not this is almost flat out in 3rd in all the years I have been to Harewood no other photographer has been brave enough to stand where this pic was taken

http://www.harewoodhill.com/gallery/...e.asp?ID=11612
    Last edited by RussellT; 14-05-2013 at 17:39.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the vid Russell, just started Autosolo in the ClioSport, but still hungry for more

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Russell,

This is great reading, all very exciting stuff!

Re your spec..

Have you got mappable ignition?
    Also you mention you want to go efi but can't, tbh the difference between efi and carb isn't that much when flat out. The key is ignition maps/turbo and general engine design/setup..

If your having trouble with the carb why not fit something bigger? Have you thought about a bike carb setup? They boost these quite abit with pretty good results.. They are also nice and small.. The inlet mani could be delt with by bog bros or get a flange cut and make your own. Least you'd have an individual carb per cylinder

Anyway good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have mapable ignition

re the EFI it was necesarily for top end power, more for getting the most out of the engine in all situations. In speed events its the mid range that tends to matter the most.

Bike carbs are an idea & I have seen a 5 with a twin carb set up. Its getting it all to work that can take years of head scratching.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have mapable ignition

re the EFI it was necesarily for top end power, more for getting the most out of the engine in all situations. In speed events its the mid range that tends to matter the most.

Bike carbs are an idea & I have seen a 5 with a twin carb set up. Its getting it all to work that can take years of head scratching.
    Yes very true the r and d is the annoying bit!

You are half way there mind with the mappable ignition.. How about some cheeky Race fuel? Or do they test the fuel? You could get quite a bit more timing in

I'd defo be looking into ditching that ****e carb! There are plenty of better ones out their.. I'd looking into the bike carb thing as they are nice and small plus you could but a nice tilt and the manifold, not that it matters much with boosted applications.. Another benefit is the intake runners can be pretty short which helps torque, which is what you want more than power after all...

Post Thanks / Like

you have to use pump fuel max 100 RON it isnt tested but I dont cheat, some will. I use V power by Shell. I think that the guys running in the British Hill Climb championship have to have the facility to take a fuel sample from the car.

She doesnt do too badly on the original carb with a bit of help from Ian Nixon and more recently Scoff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just applied for the MSA license.

How do you feel about being chased by a 21?

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy you'll be in a different class

Well done please PM me if you run into any problems. Which club to you plan to join?

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One day I'll get my act together and get into some club racing. I'm a member of Liverpool Motor Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Liverpool motor club are running my next event at Barbon just North Of Kirby Lonsadale. A classic traditional hill climb up some Lord's drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCl...v-asg&index=19

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very happy you'll be in a different class

Well done please PM me if you run into any problems. Which club to you plan to join?
    Im already in the CWMC (Coventry and Warwickshire Motor Club).

Post Thanks / Like

Latest attempt to sort my sporadic cut out.
    http://twitter.com/turborussell/stat...357186/photo/1

Post Thanks / Like

Barbon on Saturday was looking like a complete wash out as I motored north through very heavy rain showers but in the event the sun came out and we had a cracking day with 2 practice and 4 competition runs up Lord Shuttleworths drive out of the picturesque village nestled in the bosom of the valley.

I had a class win against a non turbo Suby and I managed to just brake 30 seconds (as in 29.99!) which isnt a bad time.

My engine performed faultlessly all day but then suffered the cut out on the way home I had the new Advan Neova AD08 tyres on which are amazing however one of the rears was being cut into by the edge of the inner wing. I bent it out of the way but I fear the tyre structure has been comprimised as the side wall has developed a nasty bulge so I have ordered a replacement.

My other major issue was my brakes not working properly and racing into a tight hairpin with poor brakes is not for the faint hearted as it looks like your driving at a armco wall. I am going to work on lubricating the pistons in the calipers when I get chance.

Anyway here is a clip of my last run, enjoy a demonstration of torque steer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EMuFoXsIyMA

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, great shot Russ!

Post Thanks / Like

My other major issue was my brakes not working properly and racing into a tight hairpin with poor brakes is not for the faint hearted
    What brake set up you running Russ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Spec Billet 4
    I know that they can work really well, however things I have found out that you really need to know up front are;
    1. You have to change the master cylinder for a bigger one.
    2. The pads they sell you stick in the calipers and have to be filed down to fit.
    3. If because of 1 or 2 above the pads arnt moving freely the pistons seize up.
    4. Be prepared to send the calipers off for an overhaul at intervals.