Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RTOC Slag, Full non O.E. rebirth of H154 TGO.

Yessssss Goob!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    I've still been buying bits and bobs here and there, but in my true style, progress post's won't be up till whatever part im working on at the time is done. Although, expect a lot of picture bombing on here come end of march.
    YES!.... In true Goobie style, I'm bang on time with updates. As I've said, I'm a do-er and got some updates coming all this week starting with today, true to my word, end of march build has started again but more on what I've been doing the last week or two later, so for now onces I've uploaded pictures il show what's been going on today.

Oh, and I've added a index to page one, because I'm good like that and helps my O.C.D.

Post Thanks / Like

So, here we go. My shell seems to be in good shape and fixed the little nigglys last year, but it was playing on my mind what is hiding under the sills???

Yes, they look good and solid but some times that doesn't always mean in a year or two of real road use being that I live next to the beach with salty sea air that they won't start rotting out after having full respray, so decided to future prove my shell (mainly because I can ) and cut them off.

Ordered a pair off outter sills and inner I got off Ashy (Cheers buddy.) so I'm prepared for the worse, as rather have them and not need them then the other way round. So, got chopping them off today with some help.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not bad atall as I already knew, but the usual surface rust lurking from between the bottom of the sill where water can splash up etc, quick go over with the wire brush shows all is solid. Didn't really get a proper before picutre, but this one below was after one pass over, then three heavie coats of zinc primer over the top. So all in all, no need for the inners sills in the end. Had a good look up and in and everything is all good to trim up the outter sill and weld on.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new sill, messured it up, trimmed off the top half, check fit ment, all good!

Zinc primer the back and away we go.

Post Thanks / Like

Was so happy working away and to be getting things done, forgot to take more pictures. The welds were flatted down and the bottom welded up to. Once the other side done il be cavity waxing the inside via the holes on inner sills, then coating the outside again and then a stone chip coating over that as it's all hidden anyway by the body kit.

Got other things to that I'm working on for it, pictures to follow once complete, WATCH THIS SPACE!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking good bud, I've got to do the exact same thing. I too am planning on cutting and welding my new ones on below the skirt level. Did you have any problems with blowing through? Although from the pics it doesn't appear so

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work Goob! Looking good mate. My 5 be finished now, so maybe a dogging sesh Brighton way in the summer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nad-5GTT View Post
    Looking good bud, I've got to do the exact same thing. I too am planning on cutting and welding my new ones on below the skirt level. Did you have any problems with blowing through? Although from the pics it doesn't appear so
    Funny you should mention that as I was expecting it todo that, but not even one, using a different welder, but doubt that has anything todo with it. Maybe just got lucky?, I don't know, but had help with this task so can't really take all the credit.

As its in such good condition I was able to get away with chopping it so low, makes it a much easier job as you can see in the pictures. I see in other people thread they aren't so lucky which is kinda what pushed me on to cutting them off now and knowing what's going on inside. Plus, you got the bonus of not having to worry about getting new body kit mounting pins and smooth untouched look finish with the cut and join being hidden that low as well as easier to make sure you properly cover it with cavity wax inside via the inner sill holes as can see the weld line cos its low cut and join.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Good work Goob! Looking good mate. My 5 be finished now, so maybe a dogging sesh Brighton way in the summer
    Cheers mate. I will be bring it to as many meets as possible.

Waiting to see your new sneaky updates you've been keeping secret! I could be wrong, but knowing you there be another set of alloys in there some where.

Chop chop.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Cheers mate. I will be bring it to as many meets as possible.

Waiting to see your new sneaky updates you've been keeping secret! I could be wrong, but knowing you there be another set of alloys in there some where.

Chop chop.
    Yeah mate there's a few little tweaks been made

I'll get some pics up once it's had a good valet and detail

Post Thanks / Like

Today was drivers side time to be cut off and checked etc. And good thing to as wasn't as pretty, just goes to show you never know what's hiding no matter how good it looks and sounds on the outside. Anyway, off it came and was faced with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Out come the trusty wire wheel and angle grinder for a clean up and left me with a couple rot holes that got chopped out then made a couple plates to weld back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Out come the welder and away we go.

Post Thanks / Like

Following on, crazy sanding and wire wheel session up and down the inner sill then nice thick zinc primer coatings, trim sill to suit, tack'd it on and....... Welder gas run out.

Post Thanks / Like

MORE BODY WORK........

Well, two things, when I first rubbed this down and stone chipped it I overlook the fact that bare metalling the underside and just spraying only stone chip over it is a bit of a no no! Also, I didn't really bother with the seam seal and left that when burning the 24 years old underseal off. So, turns out for many reasons I should of put some sort of base coat/rust protection on first then the stone chip etc.

Anyway, no major problem (kinda.), as where I've been welding in roll cage box sections, new seat rails, sills, drilling old ones out and spot weld hole filling blar blar, it's burnt off areas and wants stripping back and welds flatting anyway.

I forgot what a nasty job this is, and this time I've not got a ramp and fancy body shop tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Round two wire wheeling, this time I've strip all seam sealer to.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the mess just from that section!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot more, but was at it solid and got to dark after I finish to get any decent pictures, I say finished, but really I only got as far as the whole front underside, just got the rear fuel tank area and boot floor left, then onto the wheel arches, oh the joy! Thank god for the hardcore ear defenders I bought, or I would most likely need an hearing aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help but feel I'm going backwards at times as this is now how it sits and I'm back doing jobs I've already done. BUT, if you want things done right, I guess some things aren't worth cutting corners. The car so light, I picked up the front and could move it round like a wheel barrel and wheeled it back into the garage like this. Next need to take the t-bar off, AGAIN, so I can get in everywhere properly and possibly give that another coat as it's off. Saying that, I reckon I could just pick the whole thing up once the rear taken off if get some one to lift the other side.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work and a good job you realised about putting something over the bare metal before it's to late. I am in the middle of this myself under the front arches, I burnt most of it out then got the wire wheel on it with the angle grinder. Google's and ear defenders are a must.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my... This really is getting boring now. I've been keeping track of the grinding hours, I'm at 11 hours so far and I'm still not attacking the wheel arches or the whole rear upper section yet.

Some areas are just not easy to reach or get into, but at same time I think maybe I'm just being to o.c.d.?

Anyway, took the subframe etc off to get on with the front curve section, gave that a good going over and gave it a couple thin coats of red oxide for now, still more todo, but not good leaving it all bare in a damp-ish garage etc, looking good so far tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You should leave it that colour I'm keeping a close eye on my surface rust appearing. Luckily my garage is quite ventilated and not at all damp so far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

You should leave it that colour I'm keeping a close eye on my surface rust appearing. Luckily my garage is quite ventilated and not at all damp so far so good.
    You know what, it actually does look pretty smart, the camera not "jazzing" the colour up, it is that strong and bright. Would work well once the body done in white and go well with my powder coating colour choices.

But, I've spent the penny's on aload of 3M cans and got them ready and waiting. Just all this time consuming process is taking its toll, not forgetting I'm still yet to seam seal the lot once I'm finishing grinding and coating it all and that before I apply the stone chip over EVERYTHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Attacked the front passenger wheel arch today, 3 and a half hours to grind this out!

Post Thanks / Like

Couple mid way pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty please with it even tho this is one nasty job todo. But as you can see, all solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Dam it, wrong picture. Anyway, forgot to take final picture before giving it a coating. But that arch is now done, next will be seam seal it all and stone chip, but I'm waiting till I've finished the whole car then do the seam sealant all at once etc. Whole arch in total took me just short of 4 and half hours, so one down, three to go........

Post Thanks / Like

It amazes me, these days so many of the projects on RTOC are fully-blown restos. It's great that folk are saving cars that would have otherwise been destined for scrap in the very near future. A lot of skill and dedication out there

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree Trev. This one was up on eBay for spare or repair, but most likely would of been broke for parts as was missing a good few main bits.

I don't think when I started this just how far I was going to end up going, I have stripped down, taken off and removed everything apart from the doors and boot lid!

And with that said, I will be removing them in a week or two so I can get the inside painted. Will just be the bare shell rolling around on a trolly!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered seam welding the shell whilst its stripped back so much?

Post Thanks / Like

I see I've been getting a lot of hits so the main photo bucket hit its limit (using two accounts.) again, need to remember to split accounts when loading up, main pictures will be back up in two weeks when it resets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Have you considered seam welding the shell whilst its stripped back so much?
    Yes I have entertain the idea a few times, but my main worry which put me off the most is the fact these are so hard to weld because of the thin metal, and I'm no pro welder so could easily go terribly wrong.

Plus, for a road going car I think it will be just that bit to stiff if I do once you add the fact I got Coilovers, polly bushes, meaty welded roll cage big box sections with four fixings on each foot!

Although, I've still got a way to go yet on the underside, and you've got my brain ticking now thinking about it. See what happens I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Got more grinding done, three and half hours on the drivers side arch, still more todo on this arch but got to 6pm so decided it was best stop as getting a lot of noise complaints now. Prob got another 45 minutes left on this arch then ready for coating then onto the rears. Should of got this sand blasted or something!

Post Thanks / Like

Ha I was going to say your neighbours must friggin love you looks great though keep it going

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Ha I was going to say your neighbours must friggin love you looks great though keep it going
    I've had four neighbours complain, not good when one of them is a copper and the other a solicitor! Im doing my best to keep it within reasonable day hours etc. I've now moved it to doing the grinding in the tiny garage with the door shut as this is my dads house and garage I've been doing the work at. When ever I get to my dads house, I do get the burning sensation and dagger eyes from the neighbours when I pull up now.

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said, I've still been buying bits and bobs here and there but not really posted up any, but here couple bits that's popped up last week. Got a full set of Ferodo DS2500 pads, bag'd myself a pair of 3 month old rear calipers and top condition campus plastic door card without the speakers holes for a bargain tenner! Will be getting them covered at some point and give the calipers a rub down and paint to. Here some pictures for future ref before snaps. Got loads of others bits, but no time to pull em out and spam my thread with photos at the moment.

Committee Member
    Social Media
    Post Thanks / Like

Top work mate

Post Thanks / Like

Finished off the front wheel arch, bolted the sub frame etc all back on, wheel'd it out the garage to turn it around and back in and up on axel stands to attack the rears...........

Was flat out, so no picture of the front but I can tell you if it helps you sleep better, it looks the same as the other front arch pictures.

Moving on... Started the rear arch, got a lot off for two hours of grinding, so pretty pleased with that. Still got to get in all the tricky areas then that side done.

QUE PHOTO............

Post Thanks / Like

Only found two little sneaky cover up bodge jobs whilst at it, as I said, I've covered this myself but didn't strip the sealant off last time, hence another reason for me doing this job again. Anyway, back on topic, if you see areas that look like they gotton carried away with sealant, it most likely mean there some thing hiding/cover up underneath and here a fine example of that!

At the rear small area, this will be easy to fix.

And here I knew I was in for a treat as was rather large lump of it that I'm still digging out! This section will be a bit tricky to fix, but no major drama. Picture does make it look worse than it is, but good solid when giving it a good stabbing and not rusted on other side when pealing it back which would explain why didn't noticed it when I was doing the sill as all good from the other side etc.

Apart from that, the rest is golden.

Post Thanks / Like

Update, kinda.

Well after nagging/borrowing a welder etc I decided it was time to update my tool collection some more and bagged myself a decent welder. Was in Brighton town centre when passed M/Mart so got the Mrs to pull over so I could pop in for a look, twenty minutes later walk out with one, Mrs was well happy. I was genuinely only just looking as been trying to get a decent second hand jobbie, but managed to blag myself a decent price. Had to be done.

Watch this space for some more fabricated one offs, can't wait!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check you out spend a little more and rent out a big bottle. Those little ones are shocking and expensive in the long run, I did and haven't regretted it.

Post Thanks / Like

Check you out spend a little more and rent out a big bottle. Those little ones are shocking and expensive in the long run, I did and haven't regretted it.
    Already on it. This one came with the kit plus some crappy mask. The guy tryed convincing me to buy the 131 that you got, but kept thinking about what you said. It was between this one and the 160tm which is pretty much the same, but got the best deal on this so snapped it up.

Just ordered a pimping joker printed mask off eBay to.

I can see a list of things I wanna weld with it growing already.

Post Thanks / Like

151te a very good welder! I've had one for about 10 years ish, never let me down and produces good results

Post Thanks / Like

Grind, grind, grind...

That's now three wheel arches down and one to go, CANT WAIT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robw View Post
    151te a very good welder! I've had one for about 10 years ish, never let me down and produces good results
    Cheers mate, got good review everywhere I've look'd.

Got my gangster welding mask today to, came with welding gloves, hat and carry bag.

Il edit this post for better pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by Goobie; 01-05-2014 at 20:19. Reason: Better pictures.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Top work mate. Coming along nice!!! Get it on the road already!!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I love reading this. It's great!

And keep chucking those photos on. Never too much