Post Thanks / Like

Suspension/handling issues...

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all. Just had some second hand refurbished gaz coilovers fitted to my 5.to say that the ride is now ridiculously hard is an understatement! It's not really low either,but the guys in the garage had to fit 5mm spacers to the wheels to get the clearance. It really does handle well now but it's a bit much tbh. However,I've checked the tyre pressures (which I normally run at 28 psi.195/45r15 yokos) and the garage has inflated them to 38psi! I think this is too much and possibly the real reason for the insanely hard ride.any ideas on that?
    Also,i can hear a clunking sound from what sounds like the rear drivers side suspension(standard I think) when I hit bumps, does that mean my shocks are knackered?
    Any help appreciated peeps

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suspension/handling issues...

I wouldn't be running at 38psi, I normally look at around 32psi, Gaz coilovers are known to be a lot stiffer, do you know what pound rate you got on the springs? adjusted the suspension to make it softer?

As the car is a lot stiffer it can show up other problems, but on the rears are you hitting the metal work if the car is lower than normal now, if you remove the wheel is the metal behind it got a dent in it?

Post Thanks / Like

On softest settting mine are quite soft really. Soak bumps easy. 38 is way too high and will probably help once lower. What profile tyre do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    I wouldn't be running at 38psi, I normally look at around 32psi, Gaz coilovers are known to be a lot stiffer, do you know what pound rate you got on the springs? adjusted the suspension to make it softer?

As the car is a lot stiffer it can show up other problems, but on the rears are you hitting the metal work if the car is lower than normal now, if you remove the wheel is the metal behind it got a dent in it?
    Agreed,I'm going to get them down to 30 psi and see how that affects things.
    I've no idea what pound rate the springs are,but will ask the guy I got them from. I believe he is an ex member,chris miller?.
    As far as the back is concerned its was lowered when I bought the car 15 years ago and I've never changed a thing so I doubt the wheel is hitting ghe arch but will investigate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    On softest settting mine are quite soft really. Soak bumps easy. 38 is way too high and will probably help once lower. What profile tyre do you have?
    195/45r15. I'm a bit of a noob concerning coilovers,and having bought them second hand have no idea how to set them up. The guy in my local garage did it for me!

Post Thanks / Like

The rear shocks are very easy to adjust, just turn the little knob on the shock to change the damping.

Front coilovers have the adjuster on the top of the shock, you'll need the little knob that fits on then just turn it either way for soft to hard setting etc.

edit, pic added, the rear adjuster will look like this:

Last edited by Jeff Ninebar; 16-04-2013 at 11:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Miller from Witham? He would have had them at the hardest setting you can have I know that, doubt he would know the pound rate of the springs but he might do.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff. My car only has adjustables at the front,I believe the back to be standard. Thanks for the info though!

Bigfoot. Yes chris from Witham,and yeah I know what you mean I saw his car. On the floor!

Post Thanks / Like

Dont think on the floor quite describes how low that car was

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbeerspiers View Post
    Jeff. My car only has adjustables at the front,I believe the back to be standard. Thanks for the info though!

Bigfoot. Yes chris from Witham,and yeah I know what you mean I saw his car. On the floor!
    ah no probs, as I said though the front damper adjusters are on top of the shock, open the engine bay look at the top mounts, there will be a nut in the middle and poking out the top will be another small nut, that is the adjuster, Gaz do a knob that fits on it, but you can use a spanner.

Post Thanks / Like

Iv got same problem with my gaz coilovers.. think my dampenings shagged so need to send them off for refurb.. on softest setting its still really hard! il have to see what there like when they come back..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by w35ty View Post
    Iv got same problem with my gaz coilovers.. think my dampenings shagged so need to send them off for refurb.. on softest setting its still really hard! il have to see what there like when they come back..
    How much is it for refurb mate?

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the email they sent me:

Springs are £22.00 each & a service on the kit will cost £30.00 per front & £23.50 per rear but if any of the piston rods are damaged & need replacing then these are extra but we will contact you first. All + carriage & vat.

hope this helps?

Post Thanks / Like

It that just to service them, not re coat the zinc do you know?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to service them i think they never mentioned anything about re coating them going to send mine off monday so il post up when they come back said id get them back in a few days

Post Thanks / Like

Good man.

Post Thanks / Like

All sorted now. I've put the dampers as soft as they will go and just kept popping them up a click or two after every drive,got a happy medium now.even with 38 pound in the tyres!
    Just one thing,is it normal to have spacers fitted when using coilovers?

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel spacers? i cant lower mine enough without them. the tyre touches the coilspring.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what he guy in the garage said! I take it that's normal then. Bit ugly though

Post Thanks / Like

not ideal, just make sure your wheel bolts have enough threads and torque up properely. if it starts to pull the threads before torqueing correctly you need longer bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by w35ty View Post
    Just to service them i think they never mentioned anything about re coating them going to send mine off monday so il post up when they come back said id get them back in a few days
    You got these back yet mate?