Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Front mount intercooler

Hi guys, what size front mount should I get? I know people buy generic ones, but I am not sure what size I should get - fancy one about the size of the Forge FMIC, quite happy to cut cross member.
    Want and will be keeping stock bumper, don't mind losing fogs.

Thanks in anticipation.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Front mount intercooler

dont cut the cross member

unless you intend on fitting or fabricating some type of plate to re attach afterwards ,as you will weaken the strength of the chasis no end

as regards front mount, what boost you intending to run, what hp, and what size turbo? huge core areas,and boost runs will take more to fill, ie an almost standard t2 turbo wont do the system justice, the gt breadbin is a good comprimise on anything up to 18- psi on a t2 standardish unit, if youve got bigger and intend on running more boost/power then aim for as gooder core design as your money/budget can afford, as it will pay for itself in respect to performance per psi,

dont run one myself,but loads of members do, and im sure most will put some imput towards whats hot and whats not

Post Thanks / Like

Just a guide, a member on here is running 18 psi on track on a T25/t28 wi th a bread bin type of cooler. I've gone for a 2wd Cossie cooler and seen no more than 36 on the RR at 200bhp.

Post Thanks / Like

Well me and blunty are running 2wd cossie fmics. Ford boys say theyre good for 300 and they fit underneath the crossmember with no chopping up. You can keep the oe bumper in tact without altering that either mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    dont cut the cross member

unless you intend on fitting or fabricating some type of plate to re attach afterwards ,as you will weaken the strength of the chasis no end

as regards front mount, what boost you intending to run, what hp, and what size turbo? huge core areas,and boost runs will take more to fill, ie an almost standard t2 turbo wont do the system justice, the gt breadbin is a good comprimise on anything up to 18- psi on a t2 standardish unit, if youve got bigger and intend on running more boost/power then aim for as gooder core design as your money/budget can afford, as it will pay for itself in respect to performance per psi,

dont run one myself,but loads of members do, and im sure most will put some imput towards whats hot and whats not
    You do run a charge cooler though don't you?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 4x4 cossie cooler for sale. They are good for 450 ish hp. Pm me if interested

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

of course, only the best will do

and before it all starts getting silly,with the pro and cons again. oily got 28c on the rollers with 285bhp so dont start, by the way booked in for rr on 31 /5 /of this year(yes you read it right, this year!!)

if you fancy popping in for a looksy (its on the friday)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Just a guide, a member on here is running 18 psi on track on a T25/t28 wi th a bread bin type of cooler. I've gone for a 2wd Cossie cooler and seen no more than 36 on the RR at 200bhp.

ps your turbine wheel and housing is too small, like something else thats very close to you and before you say , "how would you know" im on about no legs round the corner

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 550mmx225x63mm ebay intercooler ACT's are 15 degrees above ambient temps at 24 psi.

The cross member did need triming to fit but did just fit behind a oe bumper and was a very tight fit.
    Last edited by Logg; 10-04-2013 at 23:24.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    I use a 550mmx225x63mm ebay intercooler ACT's are 15 degrees above ambient temps at 24 psi.

The cross member did need triming to fit but did just fit behind a oe bumper and was a very tight fit.

Fantastic guys thanks, when I said "cut" the cross member I actually meant "trim" as per what you need to do to fit the forge item. Im running a T28 on tubular manifold and downpipe. Got an AFR, running 12-13s on boost, quite rich I reckon and fancy taking whitey down to Bogg Brothers at East Lutton for a tune up, once I have a FMIC fitted. Not had a chance to check boost levels, since I have only driven it from painters to my school.

Im quite happy to make my pipe runs myself, I have a budget of £1000 for FMIC, interior, refurbing wheels and maybe a little tune up time, so where I can save money, I would like to.

Got my interior cards packed up waiting to be shipped to Phoenix for flocking, fancy a pair of those cgb bucket seats.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

12-13 isnt quite rich. 13 is lean.

Wants to be 12.1 ish really max

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I though the higher the number the leaner it becomes, 22 is the calibration in the air.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

when I said trim I ment cut but not all the way. Picture stolen from steve of the cut/trim that's needed.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...&pictureid=207

As for AFR's I would aim for 11.5-12.0 on boost as that's nice and safe. Running close to 13 is asking for trouble if your lucky its headgasket popping territory if your unlucky cracked liner or hole in piston.

Post Thanks / Like

I am goin to fit my forge intercooler soon the reason i like the off the shelf items are they look neat. But some people on here have made there own up and look brilliant have a search on here type in titles only front mount intercooler and theres a lad called raj with a white 5 and its got orange pipe work looks amazeing

Post Thanks / Like

Yea just checked again its under "front mount intercooler pics" some for you to have a look at mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    when I said trim I ment cut but not all the way. Picture stolen from steve of the cut/trim that's needed.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...&pictureid=207

As for AFR's I would aim for 11.5-12.0 on boost as that's nice and safe. Running close to 13 is asking for trouble if your lucky its headgasket popping territory if your unlucky cracked liner or hole in piston.
    I will double check, when I boost!

Would like the forge kit, but a little pricey, will be painting the cooler piano black, to match the wheels.

Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dark colours like black absorb radiant heat, which means the cooler will have to work harder , which inturn will give you higher inlet temps which in turn will lose you power, silver is the way foward on that one or a light colour if you must paint it