Post Thanks / Like

Adjustable dash brightness

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys, currently my adjustable switch is causing me some problems. As soon as I rotate it to on it blows the left hand rear fuse. I.e the one that does the lh side rear light, boot number plate lights and the light on the dash that tells you ,you have the side lights on.

I took it apart and it was burning up when put on full. Although the dash back lights never came on.

I then pulled the cables and joined them together to bypass the switch and all seemed fine. Then five minutes later the fuse blew and blows every time there linked together.

There is a blue and brown wire going to one connection and a blue on leaving I assume. Or it's the other way round to control the brightness function.

Anyone else came across this problem before?

Thanks in advance

Plus is this a common switch fault which is easily fixed by a new switch?
    Last edited by ScottKinnear; 12-03-2013 at 20:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adjustable dash brightness

the switch wont be at fault, all it does is increase or decrease the resistance in the circuit, you have something shorting out somewhere popping the fuse, im not sure on all the components on that circuit your best bet is digging out the haynes wiring diagram.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate, ive been out with the haynes manual yesterday hence the post.I hoped someone had over come a similair problem but it looks like thats the only way to continue so ill bash on.

There is a switch on ebay for 6.50£ at the moment. good price anyone? or has someone got a spare one on here?

thanks again

Edit: when I mean spare, I mean I'll buy it off you )
    Last edited by ScottKinnear; 13-03-2013 at 09:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went on a mission when I left work to sort this light problem out. Out came the clocks and as much plastic dash as possible.

Now I found the bare light terminals for the heater controls hidden behind the the dash. Taped these up and plugged in the clocks. Amazingly theis seems to have cured the problem. I can only assume the live wire was touching something it shouldn't hence causing the fuse to blow.

As another plus I was able to use the light terminals to light up my turbo pressure gauge. Ill get a pic to follow.

I also attached an on/off switch to the instrument panel dimmer to function that properly.

Post Thanks / Like