Post Thanks / Like

R5 Noob in berkshire

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys im Rob finally took the plunge after 14 years of waiting and got myself an R5 project. My normal job is avionics for aircraft so am quite handy with electronics and electrics but also able to weld and simple fabrication so if anyone needs a hand in the local area just give me a shout.

I live in burghfield just outside of reading and am currently in the process of welding up the sills and window then onto rebuilding

I picked up the R5 for a steal at 350 quid with a spare complete engine

have managed to get a KTEC bodykit but still undecided as to wether to use it or stay with the standard kit

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: R5 Noob in berkshire

Welcome to the club.

You got that at a bargain price, did see that on eBay a while ago. Not a fan of the kits, but its down to your own opinion. Start up a project report on the forum

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate i must admit im 50/50 on the kit tbh and yeh it came off ebay delivered to my door for an extra 40 quid and the underneath and floor pans are solid just a few hours work on each sill and alot around the window and she will be rust free

then onto the fun of rebuilding

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ashy on this site is selling inner sills if you need them, other thing is the rear bumper brackets which normalll rust away. You talking about the windscreen surround or the back side windows, both rot away as well if not cleaned and treated when they first start going.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazarse View Post

cheers mate i must admit im 50/50 on the kit tbh and yeh it came off ebay delivered to my door for an extra 40 quid and the underneath and floor pans are solid just a few hours work on each sill and alot around the window and she will be rust free

then onto the fun of rebuilding
    I know Burghfield quite well, I worked in Swallowfield for a long time. £350 is a steal fella.

What's the plans for it?

Post Thanks / Like

sills werent rusted on the inside just a little on the outer nothing abit of plate couldnt sort and the front window surround at the bottom had been previously just filled with body filler so dug it all out and have welded one half up just need to do the other half now . ill start compiling piccies and run a rebuild thread at somepoint just takes so long uploading photos to photobucket then resize post speacially as photobucket keeps freezing

rear bumper brackets ive already manufactured just going to adjust them when i come to fit the bumpers and line everything up

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wellcome rob to the fold, as said thats a good price!!!, good luck with the build up and keep us all updated....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I know Burghfield quite well, I worked in Swallowfield for a long time. £350 is a steal fella.

What's the plans for it?
    Thats just 2 mins down the road !

Going to do all the body work and welding then smooth the doors including the door handle and have door poppers with a button to open and boot popper hopefully all rigged to an alarm aswell so i can remotely open the doors etc

the colour scheme will depend on if i go for the body kit or not.

just going with the engine that is fitted and just get it up and running in its current engine setup i do have a couple of dyno printouts that came with the car that show 147bhp?? then once its on the road im going to completely strip and rebuild the spare then swap them over when the engine is fully refurbed and then tune it up to about 200 bhp hopefully

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats just 2 mins down the road !

Going to do all the body work and welding then smooth the doors including the door handle and have door poppers with a button to open and boot popper hopefully all rigged to an alarm aswell so i can remotely open the doors etc

the colour scheme will depend on if i go for the body kit or not.

just going with the engine that is fitted and just get it up and running in its current engine setup i do have a couple of dyno printouts that came with the car that show 147bhp?? then once its on the road im going to completely strip and rebuild the spare then swap them over when the engine is fully refurbed and then tune it up to about 200 bhp hopefully
    That's great u have a spare engine, so u can still drive it while u tinker. Be great to see your project pics fella. Best of luck with it.

U a royals fan?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm only over in earley, Matt is round the corner, Jamie's in reading, Alan's near j12 macdonalds as he hangs about there at night in his 5.. A short trip down the m4 and there some other quality members who meet up at the ace cafe once a month..

And there's Phil

Gotta take the ruff with the smooth I guess..

Like I said in the other thread, Jamie's breaking his 5 so there's a chance to raid those little bits that are hard to find online.. If you really need some gear tho, drop mike a ring as his parts stores are bursting with gear

Post Thanks / Like

If Matt is in Burghfield i think i stopped him the other day at the petrol station for a look round his car lol

cheers for the warm welcome and hopefully ill have her on the road asap but ill keep you all updated and ill put together a restoration thread when i get a spare 10 mins

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If Matt is in Burghfield i think i stopped him the other day at the petrol station for a look round his car lol

cheers for the warm welcome and hopefully ill have her on the road asap but ill keep you all updated and ill put together a restoration thread when i get a spare 10 mins
    Matt has a black gtt and is round he corner from me, there are two guys near you, wrighty with a black gtt and another guy, he's on here also.. Reading is doing well for members at the mo, once upon a time it thought it was just me.

Post Thanks / Like

The one i stopped was a standard black GTT at the local esso he had a footy or rugby tracksuit on?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The one i stopped was a standard black GTT at the local esso he had a footy or rugby tracksuit on?
    Dunno, all I know is wrighty does dent repair and body repair..

Post Thanks / Like

good person to know then lol his 5 did need a roof respray as the laquer had gone bad?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

good person to know then lol his 5 did need a roof respray as the laquer had gone bad?
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=213

That's wrighty, pics of his car in his profile..

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome mate, good luck with the project. I'm having a bit of a mare at the minute with my 5's electrics...hopefully I'll get it sorted soon as I want to go for a spin

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome looks like you got a bargain, which is allways nice. Get some good pics up and dont hesitate to ask for advice

Post Thanks / Like

'That's the real deal right there' welcome

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Good find and welcome to the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello mate wasnt me u saw as mines not on the road at the minute will be soon tho, i drive a subaru wagon about mostly. Im in tilehurst I have met a fella with a standard black one with a freshly rebuilt engine from burghfield or mortimer way, was tall with black hair. He at the time was selling it so might of kept it in the end? L

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome mate,I'm just down in calcot,yes near mc Donald's DAVE good to see numbers on the up in reading,
    You will never get to see daves car! It's kept in little cryostasis jars,stashed in the 4 corners of the globe and in year 3000 it will be discoverd and the world will see!
    Some say its the original 5

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome