Post Thanks / Like

no spark

Evening all i removed the alarm from my 5 and now i have no spark can anyone tell me when i have ignition on should i have power to the AEI and theres no fuel pump either can anyone help i took alarm out ages ago but i cant reamember where it went in dash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: no spark

I've got exactly the same problem with mine, only occurred since messing with the alarm system.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading threw haynes and you should only have power when cranking so i need to try again i dont want to have to take dash out again its so frustraiting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Just reading threw haynes and you should only have power when cranking so i need to try again i dont want to have to take dash out again its so frustraiting
    Broken king lead?

Post Thanks / Like

It seems good its only since i took alarm out but i have another king lead to try i cant hear fuel pump either but looking at the haynes its quite detailed i will give it another go in the morning its makeing me

Post Thanks / Like

It could be something to do with the live feed to the aei unit possibly the yellow wires was the alarm spliced in to another cable if so where was it in the engine bay or under the dash as this would also be why your fuel pump has packed up as well

Post Thanks / Like

It might be a case of tracing wires and looming for a break were you have remade wires. Try the basics first, it may be a coincident and non alarm related. Chances are though it is,

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31575
    Pretty sure i told you to take pics before removing lol
    Sounds like it was spliced into the tachiometric relay it aei feed

Post Thanks / Like

cheers lads yea wish i had took photos but i checked that it wound over and assumed that was it, but no i don't have any luck lol theres a plug on the AEI with a yellow a gray and a black i think yellow should be live when cranking, gray tacho? and black earth the yellow wire was running through the alarm box so i cut the alarm box line out and just joined it up standard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    It could be something to do with the live feed to the aei unit possibly the yellow wires was the alarm spliced in to another cable if so where was it in the engine bay or under the dash as this would also be why your fuel pump has packed up as well
    yea alarm was spliced into yellow wire on aei but i think no feed at aei means no fuel pump because it needs a single from timing sensor is that rite?

Post Thanks / Like

yea alarm was spliced into yellow wire on aei but i think no feed at aei means no fuel pump because it needs a single from timing sensor is that rite?
    Yellow is live with ignition on, black is ground, when you crank the tdc sensor tells the Aei you are cranking and then the Aei outputs on the other wire in that 3 pin plug (grey ?? thought it was pink? that might be clio valver?? ) anyways and that goes off to the fuel pump relay and tachometer. Fuel pump relay then output to pump and "rob's your father"

Edit - that other wire is white that's goes to the fuel relay im sure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick k View Post
    Yellow is live with ignition on, black is ground, when you crank the tdc sensor tells the Aei you are cranking and then the Aei outputs on the other wire in that 3 pin plug (grey ?? thought it was pink? that might be clio valver?? ) anyways and that goes off to the fuel pump relay and tachometer. Fuel pump relay then output to pump and "rob's your father"

Edit - that other wire is white that's goes the the fuel relay im sure?
    Thank you for that mate you have just saved me alot of time top bloke

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what the relaigh is for next to the aei please

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what the relaigh is for next to the aei please

That be the AEI relay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    That be the AEI relay
    Thanks mate i have got power to that relay with ignition on and when i crank nothing comes out of realay to aei i have tried 2 diffrent relays still the same any ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate i have got power to that relay with ignition on and when i crank nothing comes out of realay to aei i have tried 2 diffrent relays still the same any ideas
    Try this mate and tell me if you get a spark coming out the king lead when it's attached on the aei
    The yellow wire you are getting a live from when the ignition is on bridge that straight into the other yellow wire feeding the aei you can take the relay out to do this and you can see where you need to bridge it I think that will cure your problem don't ask me why but I had the same problem as you and this cured it let me know if it works then ill tell you what to do next if you don't understand cause I'm s**t at explaining things mate give me a bell 07814518971

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    Try this mate and tell me if you get a spark coming out the king lead when it's attached on the aei
    The yellow wire you are getting a live from when the ignition is on bridge that straight into the other yellow wire feeding the aei you can take the relay out to do this and you can see where you need to bridge it I think that will cure your problem don't ask me why but I had the same problem as you and this cured it let me know if it works then ill tell you what to do next if you don't understand cause I'm s**t at explaining things mate give me a bell 07814518971
    That works mate got spark and fuel pump now i tried new realays and that didnt work very strange realays even click so why is it doing that reckon

Post Thanks / Like

That works mate got spark and fuel pump now i tried new realays and that didnt work very strange realays even click so why is it doing that reckon
    Sorry mate is it working now ?

Post Thanks / Like

That relay does f&@k all mate in regards to Aei operation, it's for the over boost. The power goes thought it on the 5th pin and to the Aei, so it's not energised for the Aei to get 12 v ( note: that relay has to have 5 pins on it for the Aei to get 12v thought on the normally closed contacts. If you look at the relay its the middle pin that supplies 12v to the Aei.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats rite the middle pin goes to aei but the feed from the ignition goes threw pin 2 which also has a trigger wire loop which clicks realy and sends signal to aei can i get rid of realay as i dont have over boost sensor and go straight to aei

Post Thanks / Like

Thats rite the middle pin goes to aei but the feed from the ignition goes threw pin 2 which also has a trigger wire loop which clicks realy and sends signal to aei can i get rid of realay as i dont have over boost sensor and go straight to aei
    That's what I was going to say is next to do mate just ditch the relay and solder the connections up do it properly so at a later stage it does not come back to bite you on the arse happy days problem solved

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You've lost power the the coil side of the realy by the sounds of it.. Basically, the 12v supply you have (yellow) is on the switched side of the relay, that's why when you bridge it, it'll work.

So look at the relay and you should see a drawing similar to this

So No's 85 & 86 (86 would be an earth) are what energise the coil on the relay, and No30 is your common and 87 & 87a are you N/O or N/C switch line's (in this relays case 87a is N/C).

Now what you need to determine is what powers the coil of the relay (unfortunately I'm at work so haven't got a Haynes book in front of me).

Post Thanks / Like

Accordung to the haynes theres on one live and i have that the realyy clicks but the trigger isnt sending power to aei ? i think i am guna do what phil says and get rid of realay it works without it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Accordung to the haynes theres on one live and i have that the realyy clicks but the trigger isnt sending power to aei ? i think i am guna do what phil says and get rid of realay it works without it

Ok mate, I was just trying to give you an exampple of a relay so you understand how it should be working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Ok mate, I was just trying to give you an exampple of a relay so you understand how it should be working.
    Thank you for your help its just strange how it works when bridged and the realay clicks but its not diverting power down the feed to the aei?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the guys on this thread who helped me car is running again cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the guys on this thread who helped me car is running again cheers guys
    How I know this is when I removed my immobiliser this is when I had the fault I think it must be something to do with poor connections on the relay holder but don't loose sleep thinking about it just get it gone and it will be fine

Post Thanks / Like

All is good