Post Thanks / Like

starter issues

ok the car was running ok but on thursday it was hard to start, turning over ok getting fuel and spark just being french, but friday i went to try it and just got a click, so changed the battery and still same issue, its a fresh battery but the starter just clicks?

any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: starter issues

put the car in gear and rock it back and forth.

If the starter gear has jammed you will hear it click back into place, then try and start it again.

if this fails, double check starter wiring

Post Thanks / Like

I faffed around with this problem for ages, ended up having my starter re-furbed and all was good. Ensure that when you replace it, that the dowel is in place. come to think of it, ensure there is a dowel in situ, if that's missing, it might just be the problem.

Before you remove it, take the solenoid starter wire off and touch a 12v live onto the terminal and see if it still does the same. This will rule out the need for changing relays etc. It wouldn't harm to renew it and the feed to the starter at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    I faffed around with this problem for ages, ended up having my starter re-furbed and all was good. Ensure that when you replace it, that the dowel is in place. come to think of it, ensure there is a dowel in situ, if that's missing, it might just be the problem.

Before you remove it, take the solenoid starter wire off and touch a 12v live onto the terminal and see if it still does the same. This will rule out the need for changing relays etc. It wouldn't harm to renew it and the feed to the starter at the same time.
    sorry i should of saying i had the starter re done a week or two ago, and then realised i was missing the dowels!

i've tried to rock it but no joy i night try building up a bit of speed at it and whcak it in!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robx1r View Post
    sorry i should of saying i had the starter re done a week or two ago, and then realised i was missing the dowels!

i've tried to rock it but no joy i night try building up a bit of speed at it and whcak it in!
    I have no personal experience of this, but a missing dowel sounds to be a very bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it is i checked the flywheel thoroughly and just a little bit of ware on it

Post Thanks / Like

never mind, just went out to it, got it rollings and pegged it into second and freed it up,
    i just spent 60euro getting it redone.