Post Thanks / Like

standard or played with??

i have been having a few thoughts which are very tempting.

i have a black 5 which has had a few bits done and its in ok nick but this little thing in my head is saying return it to the way Renault intended. i bought it cos i wanted one that was looked after and a few bits played with, but the more i look at it and the more of these resto threads i read the anal collecting of mint standard parts appeals. (must be my age)

car in question:

thoughts and opinions would be appreciated

adam

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: standard or played with??

Once upon a time you could replace with good OE for next to nothing or free. Now it'll cost epic amounts of money for parts or parts in really good condition. I'd clean/change up any little things you don't like, but start on that road to oe and watch the money run through your fingers..

It really depends what's needed, make a plan and be careful, some peoples idea of good is my idea of junk..

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Dave said, start going OE and watch the money rapidly drain out of your bank balance, saying that its not expensive if you take your time in this. A lot of parts can be picked up at bargain prices but you need to buy buld lots or get lucky finding the items, my Raider was made on a serious tight budget and got very lucky with some hard to find items but they are out there if you want to spend the time doing so and well worth the end result

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies, i was curious what people who had actually done o.e restos thought.

it would need mainly suspension/wheels as its on GAS coilovers and engine is the bit furthest from standard, but it has quite a few bits to sell. the interior is fully standard (apart form the flocked door cards) and its all unmarked (apart from the clutch pedal hole in the carpet)

Post Thanks / Like

It does "look" pretty standard apart from the engine bay and sometimes I think we need to keep the modified ones as they are as they are as much a part of the 5GTT scene/history as those that have not been touched. As for taking OE see above, there is more to do than you probably realise. For instance you would need a whole new body kit as it no longer has the dimpled finish. Maybe daft but where do you draw the line by going OE.

Post Thanks / Like

Mines o oe than yours but not close enough for me to even think about going totally oe.And also putting it back to totally oe would IMO make for a worse car,so what's the point.
    Last edited by casper; 27-12-2012 at 15:20. Reason: f

Post Thanks / Like

does the phase 2 body kit have a dimpled finish?

its info like this that will help make my mind up as i would not remove the body kit as the paint and body are good.

i was thinking of it becoming more collectable in years to come.

thanks again

adam

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can't really see it in the photo's of mine (bodykit has a sheen rather than a shine) but in the flesh it's very obvious.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep it standard externally but keep the engine modded.

Post Thanks / Like

thats lovely!!

and with that then my plan/idea has fallen apart

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing to stop you start to get together parts to go that way, if nothing else they will be worth a fortune in a couple of years.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I'd keep it standard externally but keep the engine modded.
    That's exactly my plan but then again I do like shiny bits

If your going fully OE don't expect to do it quickly especially if you want new parts. Parts are now becoming much harder to source, you only need to look at the amount of parts available on places like ebay or the classifieds on here compared to a couple of years ago. Ebay will become your second job but then again you do get lucky from time to time. Don't forget, and I am sure a lot do, do not just look at ebay.co.uk. I find France, Italy, Spain and other European ebay sites can turn up some little gems every now and then although the language barrier can be fun. For example I picked up a Nos oil gauge from Italy the other week and a Nos red carpet a while back. Neither was cheap I can tell you but once you start it can all get a bit ocd. Of course Mike (GT Turbo Spares) is also an invaluable source of parts. Personally I would slap a set of speedlines on, get the side stickers and enjoy driving it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a set of speedlines with good tyres (uniroyals) if u are looking for some. They could do with a refurb but are in good nick.

My mrs bought me a set of turbines for my birthday so I have no need for them.

If you're interested PM me mate

Post Thanks / Like

that is some very valid points thanks.

i will look into a few bits.

the car does have side stickers its just the pic you cant see them.

the problem with speedlines is they are small for how the car is at the mo, the side exit is low and the big brakes wont fit.

Post Thanks / Like

O.E + ftw
    Mine is largely o.e with details like side-decals, original stereo etc but running a modded engine with samcos/alloy bits, uprated suspension and 3" exhaust too
    I run o.e speedlines and im lowered 50mm looks good imo.
    Have the best of both worlds mate
    Imo o.e should be kept for the cars that are 1/2 owner from new, low miles and original condition.

Post Thanks / Like

it has crossed my mind that the speedlines would look nicer than what i have.

i suppose the rolling diameter would not be to much different (and i do want to bring the back up a touch on mine)

Jonny i agree yours looks lovely and something i would be happy to use for inspiration.

thanks lads nice to have new ideas ready for the new year

Post Thanks / Like

Its all about the o.e exterior mate, unless your planning on showing the car as totally standard just keep it as is. If it were mine i would fit a decent set of tyres i.e. r888 on refurbed standard rims and enjoy it as is

Post Thanks / Like

i think this idea is winning me over.

off to the classifieds or the bay to hunt for wheels

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What Brigsy said

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it depends on what you want from your car realy and how you like it looking?my 5 was totaly std but i brought it that way,and then kept it that way.this the only way you will be able to put/keep it like the factory look i think.
    with the way it looks then all you need is the wheels and stickers,that alone is not cheap to start on,then you have your brakes to sort also if you have bigger brakes.
    as for the engine bay.......jezzz where do you start ££££ back to oe then your have a big job there id just leave it,even me,i tryed to get oe parts and it was either going to pay silly money or there just not avaible anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn the boost up to 25psi and do some track days in it

I'm far from mr o.e but of it was my five I would leave it as it is, and if in a few months time your still pondering then sell up and buy something more o.e.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just wana say i think it looks nice mate looks to have been well looked after. just make it fresher than what it is now and enjoy . ie, dents bit of paint work etc looks nice as is different from the rest

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5_scotty View Post
    just wana say i think it looks nice mate looks to have been well looked after. just make it fresher than what it is now and enjoy . ie, dents bit of paint work etc looks nice as is different from the rest
    thanks mate it has been cared for in the past and hopefully i am maintaining the love.

dents!!!!! dont swear at me (touch wood she does not have a single one ...at the moment)

rubbish pics but so you dont think i am full of bu.....t

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Turn the boost up to 25psi and do some track days in it

I'm far from mr o.e but of it was my five I would leave it as it is, and if in a few months time your still pondering then sell up and buy something more o.e.
    If I wanted to go OE, I'd wait for one of these well looked after ones with minimal owners, tip top paint, and chuck my money at the person selling.. that's only gonna happen after I look everywhere for rot.. I don't mind welding, but it has to be somewhere that won't force me into the paint shop..

But don't expect it to be happy sailing, my black one came 100% OE from a 60+ year old guy with FRSH.. Heat shield was catching fire, all the hoses were old and knackered, alternator let go, as did the battery, I then found rot on the sills, the rear window rubbers gone, boot rubbers, wiring loom shagged, carb all corroded.. It goes on..

People make out OE cars are amazballs, but it's mostly still 20 year old sh1t that needs replaced.. Mine didn't let me down but I still had to go round it replacing, and before you know it you know it you have aftermarket parts going on as there fuk loads cheaper in many cases..

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also depends on if your using the car.... if its sat in a garage its abit easier to make mint.... if your using it everyday, keeping it maintained can be expensive and time consuming enough.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not read all of this but personally I am goin to make mine as standard as possible outside the only non standard bit is lowering 30mm and the inside will be completely standard hopefully and just the engine bay will be different, all I need is steering wheel door and quarter cards then I'm starting on my bodywork which requires a boot as mine has no wiper and a scuttle as mine is dead

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought recently the K reg white GTT and am slowly taking it back to complete as much as I can OE. I have finished ripping out all mods and am almost ready to send it to the body shop for a full bare metal respray, not cheap but gonna be nice once done.

OE all the way!

My other H plate Glacier is staying modified!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bood View Post
    thanks mate it has been cared for in the past and hopefully i am maintaining the love.

dents!!!!! dont swear at me (touch wood she does not have a single one ...at the moment)

rubbish pics but so you dont think i am full of bu.....t

yea them pictures really show how **** and dented the five is lol hahaha looks nice mate.never been a fan of black but this looks good hard to keep black lookin mint so your doing well . look after it

Post Thanks / Like

mine is a 25 mile a day work hack that does the weekly shop and takes me and my daughter camping

i think oe wheels and that will do.

thanks for the opinions and comments, its interesting hearing how different minds look at things.

this is the first black car i have owned, it needs and flat and polish but my hands are constantly in a bucket of water keeping the thing clean

hopefully get to a few shows this year and meet a few of you which would be good