Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo porblems, turbo company are telling me you should not adjust actuator?

This whole situation is like mud.

Why would they agree to a discounted rebuild based on the unit's low mileage if they truly believed that the turbo had been damaged due to the actuator issues they cite?? Over-speeding can kill a turbo in very few miles. It doesn't make sense to say one thing on account of the other.

However, the unit is out of warranty. That's the real problem for you here James IMO.

To stand a chance in court you'll need to keep and produce the correspondence that proves what they sold you in the first instance was not fit for purpose and try to get some evidence/clarity from another turbo company regarding this over-speeding issue.

I'm not sure how the court will view your tinkering though. They might decide as you're not a qualified mechanic, that you shouldn't have adjusted the actuator yourself and should have instead contacted the turbo company when you realised the unit wasn't set to the 20psi from the factory that you'd requested. It's been a year, you're out of warranty and you've altered the unit yourself...hmmm

I happen to think you're in the right here however and the over-speeding stuff is hooey but it's not clear cut. I'll be really interested to know the technical truth behind this actuator/over-speed lark.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turbo porblems, turbo company are telling me you should not adjust actuator?

I think trevs rite the fact that you have adjusted anything has made you liable for turbos failiure i would get turbo back from them send it to adams place ring them first obviously and see what they say i dont think i would spend another penny with this companey even if they say they will do it cheaper its just principle i think you will have to just take this on the chin mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    This whole situation is like mud.

Why would they agree to a discounted rebuild based on the unit's low mileage if they truly believed that the turbo had been damaged due to the actuator issues they cite?? Over-speeding can kill a turbo in very few miles. It doesn't make sense to say one thing on account of the other.

However, the unit is out of warranty. That's the real problem for you here James IMO.

To stand a chance in court you'll need to keep and produce the correspondence that proves what they sold you in the first instance was not fit for purpose and try to get some evidence/clarity from another turbo company regarding this over-speeding issue.

I'm not sure how the court will view your tinkering though. They might decide as you're not a qualified mechanic, that you shouldn't have adjusted the actuator yourself and should have instead contacted the turbo company when you realised the unit wasn't set to the 20psi from the factory that you'd requested. It's been a year, you're out of warranty and you've altered the unit yourself...hmmm

I happen to think you're in the right here however and the over-speeding stuff is hooey but it's not clear cut. I'll be really interested to know the technical truth behind this actuator/over-speed lark.
    i am a qualified mechanic, national diploma at college - and qualified volvo tech - i have all the equipment at work like pressure pump etc which i used to adjust actuator so that bits fine and i am qualfied enough to know all of that. BUT like you say i dont work at a turbo company so others will be more clued up about turbos - i to would like to know the whole truth behind 'actuator/over-speed lark' - that would clear a few things up, if anyones friendly with adamL maybe get his input (again im not asking him to diss another company as nothing has been name, would just like the real truth on actuator adjustment)

As from all info i can gather is there wrong, loads of guides online to adjusting actuator, guide on here saying to adjust it, iv run my standard t2 on standard actuator adjusted to 15psi and its fine.

I know the unit is out of warranty - but thats not the point here, its looking like it failed because it couldnt hold the boost it was intended for so yes its out of warranty but the product if it has failed because of cheap internalls or whatever then it wasnt fit for purpose. And yer i am prepaired to ask for it back and just have to pay elswhere to rebuild it - but it could be worth a shot - big bit of info i need is the actuator adjustment larky??

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

James a friend of mine used to work for turbo technics, workshop manager or something, I will ask him what he thinks of the suituation an I will ask if it's ok for me to give you his contact details to speak directly to him, I will let you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, obviously I made an assumption you weren't a mechanic James, what are the odds, lol. This helps your case IMO and you could use that to your advantage

Those guides on adjustment and some sort of statement from another turbo aficionado/company would also help a lot.

So let's assume for a moment that the over-speed stuff they've come up with is twaddle. Then given everything else we already know, in court I think it would come down to the magistrate deciding that either the turbo company are liable due to the unit not being fit for purpose at the point of original sale, or you're out of luck since the turbo is out of warranty when you first made the complaint. You'd hope they'd side with you on it, especially if their technical excuses are pish.

I suppose the court might order some sort of compromise and since the turbo company have already offered something to try and jointly resolve the issue, they might view that favourably.

Get the technical low-down before anything else and let us know as I'm intrigued.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the fact my blower seems to be working,both myself and James had similar issues.When I ordered mine James they actually talked me out of a full t25 and recommended this said t2/t25.Had issues like you with actuator except I saw really high boost levels with the actuator that could only hold 14lb.Still now 3 actuators later I still have more preload than they recommend to achieve 18psi.Like we spoke about when they offered to take the unit back and refund I should have taken them up on the offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    James a friend of mine used to work for turbo technics, workshop manager or something, I will ask him what he thinks of the suituation an I will ask if it's ok for me to give you his contact details to speak directly to him, I will let you know
    thanks penfold that would be great for abit of advice, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Apart from the fact my blower seems to be working,both myself and James had similar issues.When I ordered mine James they actually talked me out of a full t25 and recommended this said t2/t25.Had issues like you with actuator except I saw really high boost levels with the actuator that could only hold 14lb.Still now 3 actuators later I still have more preload than they recommend to achieve 18psi.Like we spoke about when they offered to take the unit back and refund I should have taken them up on the offer.
    exactly, well if yours goes make sure you wind actuator back down before sending for warranty claim lol

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, obviously I made an assumption you weren't a mechanic James, what are the odds, lol. This helps your case IMO and you could use that to your advantage

Those guides on adjustment and some sort of statement from another turbo aficionado/company would also help a lot.

So let's assume for a moment that the over-speed stuff they've come up with is twaddle. Then given everything else we already know, in court I think it would come down to the magistrate deciding that either the turbo company are liable due to the unit not being fit for purpose at the point of original sale, or you're out of luck since the turbo is out of warranty when you first made the complaint. You'd hope they'd side with you on it, especially if their technical excuses are pish.

I suppose the court might order some sort of compromise and since the turbo company have already offered something to try and jointly resolve the issue, they might view that favourably.

Get the technical low-down before anything else and let us know as I'm intrigued.
    - totally agree with all that trev - need some info re actuator adjustment and go from there. IF there talking crap then I will just have to get abit more pushy and see where it gets me. As more info comes or anything develops I will update this thread for anyone interested.

Cheers everyone for input so far

Post Thanks / Like

Right well a little update, not where I want but this isn't going to be easy. Had a good chat with 2 members off the forum, wont name names - but there both very well respected for there knowledge and both have been there and done it and still are. They both backed me up with the following -

-actuator can be adjusted to alter boost pressure
    -I did it correctly by using a pump and visually watching the arm move and therefore open the wastegate
    -If the actuator was adjusted to max and the spring bound/twisted/jammed it COULD stop the rod moving - but this is not the case as the actuator threads where never maxed out, and it was tested with the use of a pump and all moved. And I would of seen it overboosting like mad on my gauge, but this never happened.
    -They also should of met my needs of 20psi by supplying a actuator capable of this

So it had been over a week since recieiving the last email, took it to a phone call yesterday. Bit of chat etc about the previous emails, I asked him to confirm his reason for it failing, he said because of simple wrong actuator adjustment and overspeed of turbo.
    I explained to him all of the above - which he dismissed and said 'yes the actuator rod was opening - but because it had been adjusted on the threads, the rod wasn't opening fully so it oversped the turbo'

my reply to this was if it was opening it was opening and therefore dumping the boost pressure - as my gauge showed. He again didn't agree and said it would dump the boost but not as it should and it would overboost and I wouldn't see it on my boost gauge.

The total conversation went on for around 20mins, we both agree'd we where going round in circles and wernt getting anywhere. So we decided he was going to send turbo back.

I did abit of searching on trading standards and found a couple of things that relate -

When you buy goods from a trader or when goods are supplied as part of a service, you enter into a contract which is controlled by many laws including the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). These laws give you certain (sometimes referred to as statutory) rights under this contract. Goods should be:
    • of satisfactory quality - goods should be free from defects, fit for the purpose for which they were supplied (in this case 20psi unit), safe and durable (2500 miles is not durable for a turbo). Appearance and finish is also taken into account
    • as described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them
    • fit for any purpose that is made known to the seller - goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of purchase (of which I requested a 20psi unit). For example if you buy a sleeping bag it must work as a sleeping bag. If you make it clear before you buy that you need it for -40 degree conditions and the trader states it will be suitable then it should be suitable
    You are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair if goods do not conform to the contract, in other words are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described, but which remedy should you claim?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    Right well a little update, not where I want but this isn't going to be easy. Had a good chat with 2 members off the forum, wont name names - but there both very well respected for there knowledge and both have been there and done it and still are. They both backed me up with the following -

-actuator can be adjusted to alter boost pressure
    -I did it correctly by using a pump and visually watching the arm move and therefore open the wastegate
    -If the actuator was adjusted to max and the spring bound/twisted/jammed it COULD stop the rod moving - but this is not the case as the actuator threads where never maxed out, and it was tested with the use of a pump and all moved. And I would of seen it overboosting like mad on my gauge, but this never happened.
    -They also should of met my needs of 20psi by supplying a actuator capable of this

So it had been over a week since recieiving the last email, took it to a phone call yesterday. Bit of chat etc about the previous emails, I asked him to confirm his reason for it failing, he said because of simple wrong actuator adjustment and overspeed of turbo.
    I explained to him all of the above - which he dismissed and said 'yes the actuator rod was opening - but because it had been adjusted on the threads, the rod wasn't opening fully so it oversped the turbo'

my reply to this was if it was opening it was opening and therefore dumping the boost pressure - as my gauge showed. He again didn't agree and said it would dump the boost but not as it should and it would overboost and I wouldn't see it on my boost gauge.

The total conversation went on for around 20mins, we both agree'd we where going round in circles and wernt getting anywhere. So we decided he was going to send turbo back.

I did abit of searching on trading standards and found a couple of things that relate -

When you buy goods from a trader or when goods are supplied as part of a service, you enter into a contract which is controlled by many laws including the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended). These laws give you certain (sometimes referred to as statutory) rights under this contract. Goods should be:
    • of satisfactory quality - goods should be free from defects, fit for the purpose for which they were supplied (in this case 20psi unit), safe and durable (2500 miles is not durable for a turbo). Appearance and finish is also taken into account
    • as described - goods should correspond with any description applied to them
    • fit for any purpose that is made known to the seller - goods must be fit for their general purpose and any particular purpose that a consumer makes known to the trader at the time of purchase (of which I requested a 20psi unit). For example if you buy a sleeping bag it must work as a sleeping bag. If you make it clear before you buy that you need it for -40 degree conditions and the trader states it will be suitable then it should be suitable
    You are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair if goods do not conform to the contract, in other words are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described, but which remedy should you claim?
    I can't understand why you think you can ask for a replacement FOC after using the unit for so long, which worked fine up till you messed with it, even if you ran it at a lower pressure than you wanted, it's out of any warranty (not that they are worth the paper they are printed on) & anything could have happened to it during that time really.
    It's not like it was new & you banged it right to 20 psi & it popped or you found it wouldn't go to the boost pressure you wanted from day 1...

Or am I missing something ?

I feel for you but you are hoping I think...

Post Thanks / Like

So we're saying that their scenario is technically possible but that it hasn't happened in this case based on the evidence available? It doesn't get any easier this does it

For me, what you were sold wasn't fit for purpose. The fact you didn't get around to adjusting it and discovering the problem (meaning that it had lain there undiscovered since day 1), until after the warranty had expired, is not your fault!

The one assumption my argument makes is that the adjustment was indeed done correctly and that adjusting actuators is an industry-accepted method for altering boost pressure (which we believe it is). If that's the case, they owe you a new unit IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also add that EU law states that a two year warrenty is required not the standard one year

here are details

Post Thanks / Like

So we're saying that their scenario is technically possible but that it hasn't happened in this case based on the evidence available? It doesn't get any easier this does it

For me, what you were sold wasn't fit for purpose. The fact you didn't get around to adjusting it and discovering the problem (meaning that it had lain there undiscovered since day 1), until after the warranty had expired, is not your fault!

The one assumption my argument makes is that the adjustment was indeed done correctly and that adjusting actuators is an industry-accepted method for altering boost pressure (which we believe it is). If that's the case, they owe you a new unit IMO.
    Bang on Andy - that's exactly how I see it aswell. I kind of caught him out on the phone as I had all the emails on paper in my hand, we both established the actuator spring wasn't jammed and was opening, but even though it was opening he said it oversped and I wouldn't see this on my boost gauge.... right ok mate....

cheers for link andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I can't understand why you think you can ask for a replacement FOC after using the unit for so long, which worked fine up till you messed with it, even if you ran it at a lower pressure than you wanted, it's out of any warranty (not that they are worth the paper they are printed on) & anything could have happened to it during that time really.
    It's not like it was new & you banged it right to 20 psi & it popped or you found it wouldn't go to the boost pressure you wanted from day 1...

Or am I missing something ?

I feel for you but you are hoping I think...
    I think you might be missing something steve, when I first joined the 5 scene it was all new to me, turbo's etc - im still not big on turbo specs etc, but IMO from what iv learnt I don't think a standard t2 with just a t25 front housing only should run at 20psi, considering its just a standard t2 journal bearing with a big front. I wouldn't recommend this to someone wanting 20spi.

The fact is steve I asked for 20psi - and I got 2500miles out of it at 12/13psi and then it **** itself when going over that - do you think £500 was well spent considering I have looked after and fitted the turbo correctly? I asked this question to Olli at the place and he said 'no 2500miles isn't acceptable but it oversped due to actuator adjustment so that's your fault'

IF everyone would of turned round and said I messed up I shouldn't of adjusted actuator, I should of used a bleed valve, then ok £500 lesson learnt, il suck it up. BUT its not like that is it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to explain previously. If the wastegate wasn't opening far enough then it could overspeed the turbo. It does this by not allowing enough exhaust gas to exit the wastegate thus the excess gases need to go through the turbine which then overspeeds the turbo..... This would be seen by the boost pressure creeping upwards as the rpm increased. Even if the turbo was going faster than the initial set 14psi so long as it never went over 20psi then there is no overspeed issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    I've tried to explain previously. If the wastegate wasn't opening far enough then it could overspeed the turbo. It does this by not allowing enough exhaust gas to exit the wastegate thus the excess gases need to go through the turbine which then overspeeds the turbo..... This would be seen by the boost pressure creeping upwards as the rpm increased. Even if the turbo was going faster than the initial set 14psi so long as it never went over 20psi then there is no overspeed issue.
    Sorry for what might be a silly question, I see what your saying, but would I see this over speed issues on a boost gauge when driving? As there saying I wouldnt
    Last edited by gttjames; 19-01-2013 at 19:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. What does a turbo do when it goes faster

Post Thanks / Like

Think like this too. 14 psi at 2000rpm is not the same as 14psi at 7000rpm.
    The engine is using roughly 7 times the air volume at 7000 rpm than 1000rpm(very roughly speeking the flow isnt linear otherwise we'd all have ace power graphs) so to keep the engine at 14 psi at 7000rpm the turbo has to flow alot more air, this is when its spinning fastest.
    Last edited by Tony Walker; 19-01-2013 at 19:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. What does a turbo do when it goes faster

Think like this too. 14 psi at 2000rpm is not the same as 14psi at 7000rpm.
    Well never saw any overboosting on gauge as would of stopped straight away, as I adjusted the actuator and then took for a spin boost increased, this showed on pump I set up with and boost gauge in car. So turbo never went over 20psi, therefore turbo failed as wasn't fit for purpose?

what does the 2nd part mean tony in relation to all this. Haha and I only take it to 6k - to much of a wimp

Post Thanks / Like

sorry just explained on laptop couldnt be bothered typing on my phone lol.

Post Thanks / Like

and that adjusting actuators is an industry-accepted method for altering boost pressure (which we believe it is). If that's the case, they owe you a new unit IMO.
    Technically, that's incorrect mate.

The 'industry standard' would be to fit a higher poundage rated spring.

Yes, the tuning world 'standard' is to adjust actuator pre-load/rod length to increase boost pressure (excluding any fitment of bleed valves/ebc's of course), but it is a 'bodge' way of doing it, and I'm afraid the manufacturer is right in this instance...certainly from a warranty point of view.

The correct way would've been to supply a 20psi rated spring/actuator, or use an ebc to increase boost, if a lower rated spring was present.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mart. I knew there'd be something in what I said that wasn't quite right.

Now you say it, it seems obvious that the absolutely correct way to set boost pressure is by installing the correct spring (and appropriate rod length) in/on the actuator such that it holds 20psi from the factory.

So, James said to the supplier:

"told you i wanted to run 20psi and this is the turbo unit you recommended." The unit they supplied was not set according to the requirements (and seemingly incapable of meeting them without an additional piece of equipment).

Should James be held accountable for not getting in touch when originally discovering it wasn't set to the level he requested? As the customer he will have assumed that the unit was 'capable' (since that's what he'd asked for), and that it merely needed adjustment as and when appropriate. Maybe it was a happy coincidence as he wasn't ready to run 20psi so was ok with the turbo as it was, for the time being. The fact that attempted adjustment came after the warranty ran out, is an unhappy coincidence. In any case, the turbo company can't make the assumption that James will know which method of adjustment is the most appropriate in their professional opinion.

I don't know, it's difficult to call. I think the onus here still lies with the turbo company since it is not James' responsibility to understand the technical mistakes that the supplier made. If they didn't give him a unit running 20psi and did not supply adjustment advice (remembering that their method of choice for James is bleeding bodge, excuse the pun), then they should carry the can.

EDIT - of course this is assuming James has evidence of what was specified/agreed.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 19-01-2013 at 20:37.

Post Thanks / Like

No, because he should've contacted the company the day he tried to run more than 14psi (or whatever the spring poundage was), and complained then that it wasn't producing the boost he initially requested.

Instead he adjusted the actuator rod/pre-load, so by default the warranty was therefore invalid. Simple as.

Not trying to sound harsh, as I know full well the shpiel that turbo companies come out with to get out of warranty claims, but on this occasion there isn't a leg to stand on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    No, because he should've contacted the company the day he tried to run more than 14psi (or whatever the spring poundage was), and complained then that it wasn't producing the boost he initially requested.

Instead he adjusted the actuator rod/pre-load, so by default the warranty was therefore invalid. Simple as.

Not trying to sound harsh, as I know full well the shpiel that turbo companies come out with to get out of warranty claims, but on this occasion there isn't a leg to stand on.
    i do agree with that, i dont agree with there reason for failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't mentioned about the failure/over-speed

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't mentioned about the failure/over-speed

Yeah i kno, your correct the fact that he's adjusted it at all and not just told them its not making 20psi please sort it is the downfall here and probably the point at which they'll fob him off, i just want to phone them and tell them how stupid they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump in but I complained straight away,now 3 actuators later and after overboosting they still haven't supplied me with what I asked for,there now saying I have a boost leak,at this rate my turbo could be out of warranty but have hardly any miles on it.They told me that 10mm preload to achieve boost is ok,which is a contradiction in what they have said previously.

Post Thanks / Like

so it did overboost? at which point was this?
    Did they supply the 3 actuators?
    Did none of those actuators achieve more than 14psi?

Post Thanks / Like

so it did overboost? at which point was this?
    Did they supply the 3 actuators?
    Did none of those actuators achieve more than 14psi?
    Sorry Tony,me and James have same turbo from same company with similar issues.In my case told them what I wanted ie 20psi with no bleed off.First actuator was fixed,second adjustable but only held 14psi,this is when I saw crazy overboost.Third actuator holds 18psi with about 10mm preload,there saying I have boost leak cos this actuator dosent open till 16/17psi and with 10mm preload they get 21 psi.Complete poop.

Post Thanks / Like

But it would appear he did get in touch with the company when he first tried to run 20psi. It just happened to be a year after purchase. And how is he supposed to 'try' to run that pressure without adjusting something if it doesn't do it out of the box?

This isn't a warranty issue, it's a sale of goods act issue IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the point - The turbo didn't hit the boost level, so he should've contacted the company to enquire why, without touching/adjusting anything on the turbo, not adjust the actuator willy nilly to see if it would then produce the goods.

Hence I'm guessing they're playing the usual 'tampering with this device will invalidate any warranty' card as their get-out clause.

As for 12 months down the line, good luck to anyone who tries to claim a warranty repair/replacement turbo after that duration...

Post Thanks / Like

As I said earlier in the thread, whilst the adjustment causes problems in this situation, I don't believe it is enough on its own to absolve the supplier of all responsibility (for the reasons stated). That's just my opinion

Getting refunds from turbo companies is difficult, warranty or no warranty. I'm not saying what will happen, I'm saying what I believe should happen.

Further, I'm sure the experts of this club have in the past advocated the adjustment of the actuator rod length, as both preferable to bleeding and as an acceptable method in any case. What has changed?

Post Thanks / Like

Further, I'm sure the experts of this club have in the past advocated the adjustment of the actuator rod length, as both preferable to bleeding and as an acceptable method in any case. What has changed?[/QUOTE]

Firstly - I wouldn't deem anybody on here as 'competent' or as 'expert', I do agree however that the lengthening or shortening of the actuator arm for many years has been a way that many people have adjusted boost pressure (successfully may I add - you may want to mention this to the company you're dealing with) So nothing has changed, we've been doing it for many years.

Hope you get this sorted, looking at your post I'd say stick at it and keep plodding away.

Post Thanks / Like

Further, I'm sure the experts of this club have in the past advocated the adjustment of the actuator rod length, as both preferable to bleeding and as an acceptable method in any case. What has changed?
    Nothing, but as I said there's a difference between industry standard & tuning world standard:

Industry standard would be to fit a higher rated spring. Tuning world standard is to adjust rod length.

Post Thanks / Like

Well a lot of good points being bought up, Still all looks a very 'grey area'

Like trev was explain, as a customer I told them my requirements of 20psi, they should of supplied a turbo capable of running this pressure and supplied the actuator capable of this aswell.

I did when on the phone to them explain I had a t2 which has pretty much the same actuator on it, and that's adjusted to run 13/14psi are and has been run like that for a long time and is still working fine.

But again guys its got to be said - hes saying it oversped and from what I read your replies I would of seen this on boost gauge, I didn't see any overboosting

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i kno, your correct the fact that he's adjusted it at all and not just told them its not making 20psi please sort it is the downfall here and probably the point at which they'll fob him off, i just want to phone them and tell them how stupid they are.
    feel free to pm me for there number

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Trevhib;309761]

So, James said to the supplier:

"told you i wanted to run 20psi and this is the turbo unit you recommended." The unit they supplied was not set according to the requirements (and seemingly incapable of meeting them without an additional piece of equipment).

Should James be held accountable for not getting in touch when originally discovering it wasn't set to the level he requested? As the customer he will have assumed that the unit was 'capable' (since that's what he'd asked for), and that it merely needed adjustment as and when appropriate. Maybe it was a happy coincidence as he wasn't ready to run 20psi so was ok with the turbo as it was, for the time being. The fact that attempted adjustment came after the warranty ran out, is an unhappy coincidence. In any case, the turbo company can't make the assumption that James will know which method of adjustment is the most appropriate in their professional opinion.

quote]

like you say trev, they should of provided a unit without needing any altering or more parts to run the demanded boost level. And being a turbo company who 'know it all' surely they would of said,

'heres your turbo, to run 20psi we recommend a bleed valve' - not....
    'thanks for your payment, good luck' effectively

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing, but as I said there's a difference between industry standard & tuning world standard:

Industry standard would be to fit a higher rated spring. Tuning world standard is to adjust rod length.
    Agreed.

So we have an industry supplier not applying the industry standard, with an expectation that the customer will understand which tuning standard they would have applied. And then we have the customer, who shouldn't be expected to know either of these things (and didn't).

Yes in an ideal world James should have contacted the company when he first fitted the turbo and realised it wasn't set at 20psi but not doing so was an unknowing response to a problem he didn't realise he had. For these reasons I don't think James should have to take full responsibility and the supplier none.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 20-01-2013 at 12:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the point - The turbo didn't hit the boost level, so he should've contacted the company to enquire why, without touching/adjusting anything on the turbo, not adjust the actuator willy nilly to see if it would then produce the goods.

Hence I'm guessing they're playing the usual 'tampering with this device will invalidate any warranty' card as their get-out clause.

As for 12 months down the line, good luck to anyone who tries to claim a warranty repair/replacement turbo after that duration...
    Which was the point I was trying to make

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mart

--- to be fair though I was and allways have been under impression actuator adjustment is fine. And I have a pm from steve aswell as he got me in touch with this turbo place - I pm'd him and he replied saying they should of supplied a strong enough actuator so should be fine. And... when adjusting actuator I checked with pressure pump, I noticed even if I went to max it would still only hold 14psi and open, so wound it back down before road testing so it wasn't fully adjusted.

Post Thanks / Like

so like trev is saying industry standard would be to fit correct actuator - why was I supplied with a standard actuator when the 20psi demand was made.

Also why is there so much adjustment on the rod when they 'should only have 2-3mm of preload'

Post Thanks / Like

I got turbo back in the end - heres some pics iv took testing it on the bench for anone interested

actuator position - and pressure at when it starts to open

actuator set to 12/13psi had no problems when like this

then the position I went to 3/4 treads from end of adjustment (still open, therefore must vent the boost?) picture isn't the best hence the screwdriver showing it is open more than picture shows

Post Thanks / Like

What was the outcome of this James? Im interested to find out if they wormed there way out or not or whether you managed to get a refund?

Post Thanks / Like

I gave cr turbos a touch of criticism in this thread so thought it only fair to praise them as well.Excellent work in the end.Put me a larger trim turbine wheel in( low inertia)transformed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    I gave cr turbos a touch of criticism in this thread so thought it only fair to praise them as well.Excellent work in the end.Put me a larger trim turbine wheel in( low inertia)transformed it.
    Nice to hear at least one of you got a positive out come

Post Thanks / Like

Got to say, I've been talking to Craig over there, and just like last time absolutely great knowledge and very helpful. Last time I had any work done the delivered exactly what was needed, quickly. It has been on Fluffy for 2 years now,done about 8k and has been faultless, with no smoke or play. This turbo is the only turbo I have had on my car that has behaved well.

Post Thanks / Like

benji - basically i got the turbo back (it had not been stripped down or anything) and sent to someone off this forum for a 2nd opinion who agreed to look at it, he stripped it down and said basically it was oil contamination, he found swarf in it - i was not running a inline filter so suspect despite regular oil changes it ruined the turbo. Trusted member on hear so i accepted that.

Could of been solved alot earlier if cr turbo's would of stripped it and found oil contamination then maybe we wouldnt of had such a long thread - i just wasnt accepting them saying adjusting the actuator caused it to fail, and how they sent me a '20psi turbo' a few years ago, then when i contacted them said they wouldnt of said that.

But glad there is some good comments etc just maybe could of dealt with my situation a bit better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    benji - basically i got the turbo back (it had not been stripped down or anything) and sent to someone off this forum for a 2nd opinion who agreed to look at it, he stripped it down and said basically it was oil contamination, he found swarf in it - i was not running a inline filter so suspect despite regular oil changes it ruined the turbo. Trusted member on hear so i accepted that.

Could of been solved alot earlier if cr turbo's would of stripped it and found oil contamination then maybe we wouldnt of had such a long thread - i just wasnt accepting them saying adjusting the actuator caused it to fail, and how they sent me a '20psi turbo' a few years ago, then when i contacted them said they wouldnt of said that.

But glad there is some good comments etc just maybe could of dealt with my situation a bit better
    Ah that's disappointing to hear mate, I guess not the news you wanted to hear? Have you since had it rebuilt? You're right not brilliant of the company to not have a least stripped it down to fully investigate it.