Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Koni Suspension

Got mine today too, quality! Cheers everyone!! Think I will have to get some new springs, only have 50mm ones and don't wanna f up my new Koni's by going too low?

Post Thanks / Like

still waiting for mine what are the best springs to get who,s using what.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys, yet to receive shocks but hopefully any day now, also yet to make a choice on springs ... i did find the folowing though on the GT Tuning web site ... has anyone else considered this ? Is it required ? Apparantly GT Tuning think so !

NEW GTT Camber Correctors (S106)
    Essential new product for all lowered GT Turbo's. GTT Camber Correctors allow the user adjustment of the front camber settings. This is necessary due to the excessive negative camber that automatically occurs when the front is lowered, i.e. the wheels 'splay out' at the bottom. The camber correctors (one for each side) are fully adjustable. allowing any competent tyre and wheel alignment centre to re-set the camber to 1º NEGATIVE (standard setting).

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone in the south east needs springs swapping/top mounts swapping and dont have the relavent tools etc, just give me a shout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Hogan View Post
    New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys, yet to receive shocks but hopefully any day now, also yet to make a choice on springs ... i did find the folowing though on the GT Tuning web site ... has anyone else considered this ? Is it required ? Apparantly GT Tuning think so !

NEW GTT Camber Correctors (S106)
    Essential new product for all lowered GT Turbo's. GTT Camber Correctors allow the user adjustment of the front camber settings. This is necessary due to the excessive negative camber that automatically occurs when the front is lowered, i.e. the wheels 'splay out' at the bottom. The camber correctors (one for each side) are fully adjustable. allowing any competent tyre and wheel alignment centre to re-set the camber to 1º NEGATIVE (standard setting).
    Jonnyhogan - Lynchstar

Juuuust in case you've missed it, please read my post 34

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Right then guys, PPD called me on Friday to say they had 11 kits in stock in the UK ready to ship!

Soooo as of today, Ians has VERY kindly arrange the payment and sent them the individuals shipping details

Obviously that doesn't complete everyone's orders, so i have taken it upon myself to just send them to the people who have either expressed that they need them quickly! Or in the order of payment!

Forgive me if this causes a problem or pisses you off - buuuut I can't mess around giving preference to each individual!

THESE ARE THE MEMBERS THAT WILL BE ON THE NEXT DELIVERY!!!
    (1) Lynchstar
    (2) gttjames
    (3) jonnyhogan

Once I hear from PPD, I will pm you guys and post on here to finish this and get you guys sorted! I'm sorry it's not been in one hit, but that's been out of my control!

Diisss one

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Hogan View Post
    GTT Camber Correctors
    These might be the ones where you need to file slots from the bolt holes in the new Koni's when they join to the stub axle carrier.

Another way is camber correcting bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Suspension Tuning Tips by Bob Tunnell
    Only read the last bit. These Konis don't have bump adjustment. They don't have a load of clicks. The rear is three settings I think, and the front might turn smoothly, I don't remember how many turns.

Koni do suggest starting off with soft all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Only read the last bit. These Konis don't have bump adjustment. They don't have a load of clicks. The rear is three settings I think, and the front might turn smoothly, I don't remember how many turns.

Koni do suggest starting off with soft all around.
    Cheers Ian if you could do the delete thing I just copied and pasted on my iPhone.. I'm putting these on today so any suggestions would be magic

Post Thanks / Like

Iv fitted the rear but they seem very soft and bouncy will have to look into the settings first as I haven't a clue.. Cupa tea first then crack on with the fronts

Post Thanks / Like

Iv fitted the rear but they seem very soft and bouncy will have to look into the settings first as I haven't a clue.. Cupa tea first then crack on with the fronts
    take some pictures mate

Post Thanks / Like

Right then they are on and iv been out.. Tried it with 50s and yep it's too low I think so first chance I get there going to 40s the 50s are just too uncomfortable.. The backs are Definatley too soft I think so i am going to adjust them soon as someone else works out how to doit because I can't lol..

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have arrived top job guys. Well done.

It's what the rtoc is all about

Post Thanks / Like

adjust them soon as someone else works out
    IIRC, you push and twist them (off the car). Is there a button to hold down at the same time. Weren't there some instructions?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IIRC, you push and twist them (off the car). Is there a button to hold down at the same time. Weren't there some instructions?
    The rear suspension you push in a button to them adjust to the 3 settings, the tops you click between each setting. Well on the older ones they did.

Post Thanks / Like

Just pictures really the fronts are simple the rears I couldn't do I pushed them all the way in but couldn't feel anything engage.. Iv watched the you tube clips but there all different set ups.. When dose any man follow instructions?

Post Thanks / Like

Iv probably missed something but I saw no buttons

Post Thanks / Like

Just pictures really the fronts are simple the rears I couldn't do I pushed them all the way in but couldn't feel anything engage.. Iv watched the you tube clips but there all different set ups.. When dose any man follow instructions?
    Think you have to spin it till the button actually pushing in properly and locks it in place for you then to go through the settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Think you have to spin it till the button actually pushing in properly and locks it in place for you then to go through the settings.
    I think I will need a vice to do this as its way to hard

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will need a vice to do this as its way to hard
    Whats too hard?

Post Thanks / Like

Should be easy. No tools needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Its very easy mate once you have the nack.

1 pull the plastic boot down

2 at the bottom of the rod theres a sliver cap push this up and under the plastic spacer you'll find the button

3 push button and twist the other end of the shock.

Hope that helps mate
    Last edited by Logg; 31-01-2013 at 17:33.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew someone would come to the rescue
    I didn't even see that at all so could this be done with one end still attached to the body? Bit of a gaff getting drivers side as the tanks there..

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

And has anyone got a little guide and pictures for adjusting the fronts??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    And has anyone got a little guide and pictures for adjusting the fronts??
    I think you need the shock built up for the fronts. but going by the little koni pictures its just a case of locking the shaft with a spanner and then putting a allen key through the hole in the top of the shaft and twisting

Post Thanks / Like

I knew someone would come to the rescue
    I didn't even see that at all so could this be done with one end still attached to the body? Bit of a gaff getting drivers side as the tanks there..
    I think you might be able to do it by unbolting just one of of the ends of the rear shock. So sort of on the car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    I think you need the shock built up for the fronts. but going by the little koni pictures its just a case of locking the shaft with a spanner and then putting a allen key through the hole in the top of the shaft and twisting
    the fronts were the easy part the 11mm nut on top is for holding while you tighten the shocks so you don't have to hold the shaft with mawlgrips.. Realised that after the event the stick something thin enough in the little holes clockwise for hard anti for soft..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    I think you might be able to do it by unbolting just one of of the ends of the rear shock. So sort of on the car
    I would think so well that what I'm going to do..

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys

Post Thanks / Like

It might be nice to have a write and and some photos for the articles section.

Showing these being fitted and how to adjust them. And some reports on the setting that you'll all used. The springs heights compared to OE if you can get that measurement. This is because the ride will be harder the nearer you are to the bump stops.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be nice to have a write and and some photos for the articles section.

Showing these being fitted and how to adjust them. And some reports on the setting that you'll all used. The springs heights compared to OE if you can get that measurement. This is because the ride will be harder the nearer you are to the bump stops.
    Yes defdinately!

Advice from on the best settings would be a boon also!

Post Thanks / Like

Just remembering something someone recently posted about the back of the car breaking away if the rear is hard compared to the front.

Mine use to do that if pushed hard enough. The rear was very hard from the Bilstein tarmac rally shocks, but yielded over big bumps at higher speeds, eg, 70mph.

For roundabouts and back doubles it was excellent, the back was 'planted'.

But on bends that the front was on the limit at about 40mph, the back would swing out after the bend which was not so good.

And for 40mph straight 'flat' lanes, the back could bounce on the tyre pneumatics and the rear skit side to side, which was rubbish. I realised recently, 6 years after the event, that I should have wound the rear trailing arms up quite a bit so there was still downward movement in the rear suspension once the shocks were on, as those very high pressure gas shocks had pushed the trailing arms down to the limit of the shocks outward extension. If I parked the car on uneven road one rear wheel would be in the air!

I presume this meant that with the higher loading from a faster sustained bend, the inner rear wheel would lift off the road, where a softer rear, or one with available downward wheel movement, would keep the inner wheel down enough to give some grip.

It's taken me all these years to realise that! I kind of woke up the other week with it all clear in my head.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Diisss one

That's cool mate absolutely fine by me, many thanks.

(note that PPD will be contacting me direct re my order as its a VAT free delivery to Jersey ... thanks for your help on this also)

J

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

These might be the ones where you need to file slots from the bolt holes in the new Koni's when they join to the stub axle carrier.

Another way is camber correcting bolts.

Hi ian sorry mate but are you saying either the GTT plates or camber correcting bolts are nescessary or not ? Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Neither necessary.

Lowering the car increases the negative camber for the front wheels.

This reduces the contact patch a bit on the straights. But may improve grip a bit for the outside front wheel on a corner. But may decrease grip for the inner wheel.

The camber correctors may improve the contact patch on the straight, but may make it worse for both front wheels on a corner.

Post Thanks / Like

So iv just been out in the 5 on my private road picking up parts and gave it some wellie round the bends.. I'm happy with the back on soft as it stuck v well of course I will try different setting when I have time.. But the fronts on soft are a little slippy over 70 so I think I'm going to try them a bit harder for cornering.. Anyone else got them on yet? Any other feedback?

Post Thanks / Like

Rear ride-height also plays a part - The damper setting won't make much difference if the rear is slammed to the deck; ie, v little shock movement.

I'd say for the majority of fitment, the mid-setting on the Koni rears will be sufficient enough, even for track use. It's not like the 3 settings are going to give you that much to play with anyway

Front setting is personal choice, trial & error for sure, combined with spring rates & height drop of course, but don't expect miracles to happen by simply winding the hardness in/out if the rest of the suspension setup is worn to buggery, and/or the geo' is miles off.

Wishbone/arb bushes, track-rod & ball-joints, steering rack itself, even engine mounts, all play a part as well.

Likewise, with tyres - You can have the full-on Mansell setup, but the dude with 888's will be lapping you in no time if you're running 'wanli ditchfinders'...

Post Thanks / Like

Everything's newish no more than a year including my tyres but they are only road tyres after all. I had full wheel alignment probably two months ago.. A lot of the above 70 slide was down to damp conditions aswell but I was pushing it abit as you do.. Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy with the konis I was just hoping someone else tried different set up to just the "soft" setting I tried first.. I looked today in prima racings magazine and they were over £500 boys we did well.. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Everything's newish no more than a year including my tyres but they are only road tyres after all. I had full wheel alignment probably two months ago.. A lot of the above 70 slide was down to damp conditions aswell but I was pushing it abit as you do.. Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy with the konis I was just hoping someone else tried different set up to just the "soft" setting I tried first.. I looked today in prima racings magazine and they were over £500 boys we did well.. Thanks again

tis a bloody good price

Think we all knew once we could get a full kit it was soooo worth it.

My car doesn't even need new suspension yet but couldn't resist

Just glad that I could help others out and as a result got mine cheap too (I did pay the same as everyone else just for the record)

Post Thanks / Like

Right then guys, PPD called me on Friday to say they had 11 kits in stock in the UK ready to ship!

Soooo as of today, Ians has VERY kindly arrange the payment and sent them the individuals shipping details

Obviously that doesn't complete everyone's orders, so i have taken it upon myself to just send them to the people who have either expressed that they need them quickly! Or in the order of payment!

Forgive me if this causes a problem or pisses you off - buuuut I can't mess around giving preference to each individual!

THESE ARE THE MEMBERS THAT WILL BE ON THE NEXT DELIVERY!!!
    (1) Lynchstar
    (2) gttjames
    (3) jonnyhogan

Once I hear from PPD, I will pm you guys and post on here to finish this and get you guys sorted! I'm sorry it's not been in one hit, but that's been out of my control!
    Update for you guys still waiting (I wont forget these are still outstanding!!!)

PPD have today 'confirmed' they are due the remainder of the kits 1st week in March!

I say 'confirmed' because the original order of fronts arrived 2 weeks early and the rears arrived 2 weeks late.

Delivery dates from their factory are obviously out of my control, but I won't let this drag on, if they continue to move dates back then I will of course start to kick up a fuss, and get things moving quicker

Post Thanks / Like

cheers Wallace!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    cheers Wallace!
    No worries mate - will keep u guys in the loop

Post Thanks / Like

QUICK UPDATE

PPD have taken delivery of the fronts, and the rears are due to them Friday.

Once again this could change, but at present hopefully by the end of next week everyone will have had their kits

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to fit my Koni's and wish I could say its all plane sailing but it ain't. 2 days I have been at it and fitted backs (6 hours for passenger side and 2 hours for drivers) and managed to get the front drivers side apart after 5 hours. Everything welded itself in rust. Will post pictures of my old shocks once I finish.

Question. Does anyone know where I can get the suspension gaiters for fronts and are they needed. Also after the little rubber bush that sits around the base of the smallest top hat. Spoken to Mike who sorted out most of the bits but doesn't have these two parts (need for both sides just in case). At the moment my front s in pieces until I can get these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Numptysnumnuts View Post
    Trying to fit my Koni's and wish I could say its all plane sailing but it ain't. 2 days I have been at it and fitted backs (6 hours for passenger side and 2 hours for drivers) and managed to get the front drivers side apart after 5 hours. Everything welded itself in rust. Will post pictures of my old shocks once I finish.

Question. Does anyone know where I can get the suspension gaiters for fronts and are they needed. Also after the little rubber bush that sits around the base of the smallest top hat. Spoken to Mike who sorted out most of the bits but doesn't have these two parts (need for both sides just in case). At the moment my front s in pieces until I can get these.
    Hi mate if mike aint got them bob will at cgb i had everything for mine

Post Thanks / Like

Will give him a go but not sure. Bought a few things from them in the past and whilst they are taken off used 5's they have always been damaged as in broken. Window motors are now paperweights both jammed and the wing mirror is an ashtray as the adjusting wires snapped. Try getting them changed was impossible.

Would these items be new?

Post Thanks / Like

To get those top nuts off I've tended to take the assembled struts to a garage / wheels centre / someone who would do it for a very small fee by using their air tools.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be handy except. Rear ones just spun on one side. The one that did come undone has the metallic sleeve from the old suspension strut welded to it through rust and the front strut had the nut jammed solid. Had to cut the rear nut with a dremmel and the the sleeve. As for the front strut that had to have the strut cut just to get the other bits off as it just spun the strut when trying to undo.

Post Thanks / Like

Impact wrench makes life easier - Had all 4 shocks swapped over within an hour on Saturday.

Try to source/fit the gaitors, as they do help protect the shock rods.