Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

starter motor

i'm having a problem with my starter motor...
    after leaving my 5 project for a few months without turning it over i went to start it and just got a clunk with no turning from the starter.
    (batt is charged, engine turns by hand etc..)
    i removed the starter to test it, with power to the spade connection it only pushed the started gear out a little and didn't send power to the motor, the starter motor turned fine with direct power...
    i opened up the solinoid to find it had rusted inside (i guess water has been falling onto it from the vented bonnet whilst parked) i cleaned this all up with wd40/wire wool. i then tested it with power again to the spade (smaller cable) it then shot out the starter gear and turned but slowly.. i asumed it was now good and turning slowly due to only being powered from the spade connection and not the thick white wire? any way after re-fitting the starter it just clunked and failed the turn over the engine again i then ran a direct wire to the spade connection but same result.

am i missing something here? is the starter goosed or would taking it back out and greasing up the solinoid help?

any advice much appreciated!

cheers, rikki

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: starter motor

is the main power lead to the starter ok?
    i've had a few that work ok on the bench but not enough power to spin the engine over, guess the main internals want a clean up too. could test to see if there's a current drop on the battery while cranking.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers haz,

the thick lead to the starter looks in good nick but i have not tested it... i'm on my own doing these checks which is a pain!
    to check this could i hook a jump lead from the batt + to the main motor feed on the starter? an i would be lookin for a drop on the batt +/- whilst cranking for a week batt?
    is it worth greasing the solinoid up if i take it out again?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This happen to me and it was the solenoid which was stuck , scoff took mine to pieces and rebuilt it. Nd it worked