Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Security for the 5

Hi guys,

I've just put down a deposit for my new 5 GT Turbo. Happy days- I've waited ages to find the right one!

Anyways my question being is this-

Can anyone recommend a good car alarm? It already has an immobiliser, but I want one to go with the OEM look of the car.

The last thing I want is some toss pot breaking in to my baby.

Any other security ideas would be appreciated

Ta x

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Security for the 5

always have a secret switch!!get a removeable steering wheel and remove the door buttons

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea for the secret switch. It has an immobiliser already. But I want something to be a deterrent. I think a bloody loud alarm and a steering wheel lock could be a big enough deterrent.

I like a secret switch though. Definitely gonna do that. Cheers mate

Post Thanks / Like

Used one of these Diskloks for the last 10yrs cant fault it luckily never had an attempt with it fitted.Remeber an old test in a car mag years ago and it came top dont think they could remove the thing.They are Thatcham rated so must be good.Would imagine its the best deterent you could give to a chancer but like the saying goes if they want it bad enough they`ll have it.
    .http://www.festive-lights.com/disklo...y-disklok.html

Post Thanks / Like

I also rarely use the 5 so I have no flashing LED to flatten the battery and also the car has never had any security fitted so nice OE wiring with no bodging in the past,holes in the dash etc, plus it rarely gets left anywhere and is well locked away..The number of places fitting aftermarket alarms has dwindled in recent years and my last experince at having a Toad Ai606 system fitted to a Corrado G60 5yrs ago was a right mess by supposed qualified guys..Good call on the Gt Turbo though hope you enjoy the car..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Ill be investing in a disc lock now. The car is great, I can't wait to get it now.

Post Thanks / Like

an alarm wont stop someone from trying to brake in, by the time your alarm goes off your door is allready bent out.
    Im looking at either a steering wheel lock or a gearstick / handbrake lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan y View Post
    an alarm wont stop someone from trying to brake in, by the time your alarm goes off your door is allready bent out.
    Im looking at either a steering wheel lock or a gearstick / handbrake lock.
    I briefly looked into this before on flea bay.. What size is the steering wheel in inches?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I think a visual deterrent would be beneficial. Bright yellow steering lock across it should do the trick. Wonder how much they are?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

After yanking my interior including the door cards out to get re-trimmed, I decided it would be beneficial to get some proper security installed (some thieving pikey scum has tried to screwdriver the locks)

So next week the car is having a thatcham Cat 1 Toad Alarm installed with remote central looking. A friend is fitting it including the alarm for £200 notes. That includes solenoids for remote central locking. Well happy with that.

Anyways, I'm considering de-locking the car. Would anyone recommend this? Or is it better to get second hand locks?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Mines delocked bud if its not there they can't screwdriver it looks clean too but I still think the visual steering wheel cover is the way for me with security.. Lets face it if they want in they will just pop the window or bend the door like they did mine..

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Mines delocked bud if its not there they can't screwdriver it looks clean too but I still think the visual steering wheel cover is the way for me with security.. Lets face it if they want in they will just pop the window or bend the door like they did mine..
    De-Locking is a personal choice, I wouldnt do it just for extre security...its just as easy now to bend a door, pop a window... can even open the rear with out breaking them.... make it harder for them to steal would mean more chance car being more damaged.... a simple steering wheel lock/Gearstick and handbrake lock would work alot better... (plus a hidden switch to activate the fuel pump would work well

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the de lock does look mustard! Its just a lot of work. Plus if the remote central locking fails then u can't get in :/

I left my car in a busy car park for 45 mins and someone tried breaking in. It's always garaged apart from that day I went to Halfords. It was a Sunday at 11 in the morning. Just shows thieves even work on a Sunday!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    De-Locking is a personal choice, I wouldnt do it just for extre security...its just as easy now to bend a door, pop a window... can even open the rear with out breaking them.... make it harder for them to steal would mean more chance car being more damaged.... a simple steering wheel lock/Gearstick and handbrake lock would work alot better... (plus a hidden switch to activate the fuel pump would work well
    Liking the idea about the fuel pump! Good thinking there mate! Ill have a think about wiring a hidden rocker switch somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I agree, the de lock does look mustard! Its just a lot of work. Plus if the remote central locking fails then u can't get in :/

I left my car in a busy car park for 45 mins and someone tried breaking in. It's always garaged apart from that day I went to Halfords. It was a Sunday at 11 in the morning. Just shows thieves even work on a Sunday!
    Iv left the boot lock for that reason I'm currently looking on flea bay for a wheel lock the one I want is £100 but Xmas first as the mrs keeps telling me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv left the boot lock for that reason I'm currently looking on flea bay for a wheel lock the one I want is £100 but Xmas first as the mrs keeps telling me
    I looked on the net and found one for £40. I think with an alarm and a lock no one will try getting in her. Including the fuel pump cut off then it'll be safer than a pork pie at a bahmitsfa

Post Thanks / Like

I just rang gap security they will come to you and fit a cat 1 with proximity sensors and tilt sensors for 525 but you can do a deal with them its gota be the most important mod ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I just rang gap security they will come to you and fit a cat 1 with proximity sensors and tilt sensors for 525 but you can do a deal with them its gota be the most important mod ?
    A friend is doing it for £200 mate. Including the whole kit and caboodle. He normally charges £450, but like I said he's a good mate. Weighing the favours in

Post Thanks / Like

A friend is doing it for £200 mate. Including the whole kit and caboodle. He normally charges £450, but like I said he's a good mate. Weighing the favours in
    Does he wana be my freind aswell lol. That is a good deal tho its important tho because all your hard work can be taken away by some scummer

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does he wana be my freind aswell lol. That is a good deal tho its important tho because all your hard work can be taken away by some scummer
    Haha, I'm going to ask him if he'd be willing to advertise discounts on rtoc. I'm seein him Monday, so ill ask the question. He covers the Home Counties and is a top banana!

A professional safe cracker won't be able to get in my car come next Friday

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I'm going to ask him if he'd be willing to advertise discounts on rtoc. I'm seein him Monday, so ill ask the question. He covers the Home Counties and is a top banana!

A professional safe cracker won't be able to get in my car come next Friday
    It's not a safecracker you need to worry about bud it's the little sh1ts walking round with there hands down there pants and jeans round there arses.. B3stards

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate them so much and if you kicked there head in you would get done

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hate them so much and if you kicked there head in you would get done
    Part and parcel of life mate. I've had so many cars keyed or dented through jealous pricks I've lost count.

Some lad I knew years ago had a mint pug 205 gti and it was beautiful, he's had it resprayed twice cos some **** keyed every panel.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had all sorts of crap so I invested in CCTV a cover with lock and a bulldog lol and it helps that there's no engine in my car at the mo lol

Post Thanks / Like

i wish theft was the case round my area.. theyd rather key your pride and joy and leave it for you to be devestated in the morning.. horrible feeling

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

when i owned my 5 i never had it broken in.my doors was de locked also but i was happier the doors were like that because my little metro was smashed up via the lock and made a small mess i was well pi55ed off
    Imo if you have nothing in the car to start with then i would guess there is no reason to break into it as nothing is visiable to take,so why bother.my 5 had nothing in it item wise, even my car i have now has nothing in it.car these days are better built i guess so harder to break into,and to steal the actual car as the car keys are mostley lazer cut type.(or i may be wrong)
    o.e alarm sholud be good enough and then the steering lock(the one that covers the steering wheel)

Post Thanks / Like

its mostely not the car getting stolen but the mess the lil c u next tuesdays leave behind .ie bent doors. on an atempeted theft,, a deterent is the way i think . if that be be a led flashing light or a steering wheel lock

Post Thanks / Like

I quite like the idea of proximity sensors so if you get to close it warns you

Post Thanks / Like

Got one of those, the battery lasts about a nano second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    Got one of those, the battery lasts about a nano second.
    Yea I have a Clifford alarm with proximity sensors on my mini, where it doesnt get used very much the battery is flat within a couple of weeks if I don't take it off!

Post Thanks / Like

i live in sleepy suffolk, but still have a toad AI606 with proximity sensors, removable steering wheel and secret switch

better to be safe than sorry!

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

cat 1 with proximity sensors and tilt sensors
    When I last looked, a Cat one is invalidated by those devices. The Cat one 'formula' is specified without them.

To have better security you have to ignore Cat one and get these bits instead!

I had most of that and they still broke in repeatedly until I left the parcel shelf out so they could see the boot was empty too.

Post Thanks / Like

oh i told the bloke at gap insurence what i wanted (a cat 1 alarm) and he said i could add theese things to it. i suppose all an alarm with proximity sensors can do is deter, it cant stop anyone breaking in. its a shame we have to worry about scumbags but thats life, where was your car when it kept getting broken into ian

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On the road outside my home in Ilford.

There was no radio of any kind in the normal slot, that was an open hole.

The people that do it are too stupid to notice or care.

It wasn't alarmed at the time as it had broken and I thought no-one one would be interested in a battered 15 year old car any more. It was three circuit immobilised with the LED brightly showing near the key barrel.

After the last break in I fitted a new alarm. I also fitted a big flashing 9 LED array to the fascia so they could see there was a big flashing LED array. Doesn't mean it's alarmed of course but it might make them hesitate.

I had the big yellow Disklok on the steering wheel.

I had to stop with the proximity sensor as it went off too often, every time a car went by at speed or a lorry slowly. But a person could approach slowly right up to the car and it not go off!

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt think of that with proximity sensor on what happens when anythin goes by alot of the time its kids just after a cd player that they sell for 20 quid it makes me sick