Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suspension options

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Hogan View Post
    New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi appols i'm just getting to grips with how to post on this site etc ... is there a story with either ... as in something i dont want to know !!!!?/?/!!!!
    Not at all. The one you bought was owned by Sam'sO.ER5 on here so you can find out more about it from him.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks both, as i say i'll introduce myself prop soon and get some snaps up.

Basically i had 2 5s when i was a kid, the first time i drove one (after my 1.2 nova) i has hooked.

I had a williams after and then an M3. I also now have a Mini Gp. Nothing puts a smile on my face like the 5. I always said if one was availible new i'd pay Renault Sport 200 money for it. The closest thing to it came up and i put my money where my mouth was ... or actually my misses's money ... i still owe her all for it although we did recently get engaged which smoothed the process. The interior is mint and it even smells like a new 5 should

There's a few issues that need sorting and i'll be coming to the UK with it soon (i live in jersey). will post all soon as promised but good to see there's plenty of useful info on here, many thanks.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Hogan View Post
    First post!

Hi guys, new to the club today and just to say i am a defo if you're going ahead with the Koni purchase. There's a whole raft of other bits i need too so will keep an eye out on the forums ... will introduce myself proper soon but long an short is i got bent over for the mucho £s 5 turbo on Pistonheads a few months back from 4 Star Classics.

Cheers - Jon
    Welcome to the club Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The do do a cheaper Koni now. It seems to be coloured red though. And perhaps is not adjustable.

I would be inclined to fit harder springs. In fact, I did. They were great. It rolled quite a bit less on roundabouts and back doubles.

This thread should be in 'Group Buys' now?

Found the link to the cheaper ones; these are for Fiat: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2809430794...84.m1438.l2649

Not at the minute Thanks Ian, keep it where it is, and if enough interest then perhaps we'll just again with a new thread............

Post Thanks / Like

I will phone Koni again (either tmrw or Tuesday) but as per the ebay link that i've added, they do appear to be the adjustable version and not the cheaper ones.

With regard to a group-buy, it would appear that only handful of us are interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-Renau...item3f1b1610e6

These are the ones.................? - Did ask if he was offering a cheaper item, but said no!

I assume/hope these are the SSK10??

They won't sell singular items to individuals, they'll just get you to call a distributor. He said i can purchase them as its a 'bulk order' - which basically means its worth their while.

The kit itself, would be 2xFronts + 2xrears + 2x Springs, but they are 40mm drop!!!
    Just to confirm, the £320 price quoted is for the complete kit, and not what you've linked in the Ebay address above? (which is for a pair of fronts only).

If so, that's some crazy business sense going on!? £357 for a pair of fronts (no springs), or £320 for a complete front & rear kit, inc' (front) springs

Post Thanks / Like

Is that Ebay 'Motamec' actually Koni-UK, or someone just flogging their gear?

Post Thanks / Like

I assume just someone selling their gear,but ould always be a sister company!

The price is 100% for a kit

Just phoned them again: 100% adjustable 'yellows' - just the same as the eBay example!

And they defintely won't entertain 'Joe public' but willl accept a bulk order.

Its probably time to start a group-buy,so when I get the chance,will get the ball rolling(on phone right now!) and if we end up with just afew that want them,then I'll just try and get the deal done

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one

If you're still on the phone, what's the stock availability/delivery time for the kits?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And they defintely won't entertain 'Joe public' but willl accept a bulk order.
    +1

1) Big Steve - Raider

Post Thanks / Like

1) Big Steve - Raider
    2) Logg (if under £350)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a set for a ph1 or ph2?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Nice one

If you're still on the phone, what's the stock availability/delivery time for the kits?
    Stocks we're still available but didn't get into quantitys: Rtoc rule of 3 and all that!

Delivery wise,around 2-3wks from date of order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoooL View Post
    Is it a set for a ph1 or ph2?
    Unfortunately fronts no longer available! - but assume the rears would fit?

keep an eye out for the group buy,because quantity is king and if u did just want rears?! It would help us all out

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    They have made the koni red for years ian, its just a basic non adjustable replacement damper really. Agreed harder springs would be better.
    "STR.T Dampers; Launched at this years Autosport International Show in January" (2012?)

They look more orange. I expect they are the earlier red ones in a new look.

Post Thanks / Like

The price is 100% for a kit
    Is there a bit off if people don't want the springs? Or is there a choice of springs, and by that I mean open length and spring rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm easily confused so just to re cap

It's the koni yellow adjustable sport dampers and an unknow named brand springs for £320

Assuming phase 2 fitment as phase 1 fronts not available? or phase 1 as phase 2 not available? or even just assuming no fronts available and all the kit consists of is rear dampers and front springs

Also koni yellow sport dampers say maxium 35 mm ride height drop so this must be taken into concideration if your car is lowered on 40mm springs or you want to go lower. also do we know what the spring spec is?

Very tempted at the price, just need to know what I'd actually be getting

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a bit off if people don't want the springs? Or is there a choice of springs, and by that I mean open length and spring rate.
    Potentially yes to not including springs,but my only concern is the group-by (once I can spend the time to sort it) will become a wash with: can I just order 1x shock, I just want sprimgs etc etc etc...

As for choice of spring, I don't know,i will have to ask the question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    I'm easily confused so just to re cap

It's the koni yellow adjustable sport dampers and an unknow named brand springs for £320

Assuming phase 2 fitment as phase 1 fronts not available? or phase 1 as phase 2 not available? or even just assuming no fronts available and all the kit consists of is rear dampers and front springs

Also koni yellow sport dampers say maxium 35 mm ride height drop so this must be taken into concideration if your car is lowered on 40mm springs or you want to go lower. also do we know what the spring spec is?

Very tempted at the price, just need to know what I'd actually be getting

Couldn't agree more! I too want to make 100% sure I'm getting thr right product & the right information!

I will answers all queries with facts

The 'Kit' is:

A pair of Phase 2 'adjustable' Koni sport shocks
    A pair of Rear 'adjustable' Koni sport shocks
    A pair of 40mm springs (yes 'unknown/uncommon brand & actual spec to be confirmed)

Post Thanks / Like

I will get a group-buy thread sorted next week, at present I've been out and about and doing everything from my phone, which is a pain in the arse.

Also, if ther are further questions on spec etc,then nows the time

Post Thanks / Like

spoke to Koni.
    Was that Koni head office? Koni Motorsport, if they are still going, in Sunbury or wherever?

10 or more kits (Fronts+Rears+Springs) £320.40 including VAT & Deliver
    Is that all delivered to one person, or are they sending direct to the end users?

eBay price of just the front pair = £357.60 delivered.
    eBay seller says:
    Fits: Renault R5 R5 Super GT-Turbo (C405) phase II 07.87-90
    Notes: as from chassis no. F 02 7413 / K 025 7636

Part Nos: Fronts 8741/1167/Sport
    Rears 26/1299/Sport

No-one has mentioned SSK10 apart from Mart.

Fronts would be £126.65+Vat EACH!!!! - But the kit price, and the 10+ quantity makes them £75.00+Vat each
    Are they the Koni stated prices from fronts? Not the eBay seller?

Is there a suggestion then that, provided the minimum order of 10 sets is met, they'll supply pairs, ie a front pair without rear shocks or springs?

It says that the max permitted drop is 35mm. Koni are saying 40mm. But maybe 10 years ago they did say 40mm to me as well.

I got my springs from someone who know someone at Burton Performance, who ordered direct from a spring maker. I specified the open length and springs rate. Took a couple of goes to get the drop about right, but got about -25mm or so. That seemed to be the same as, or more than, some of the so called -40. I did it by actual measurement before and after from the chassis to the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Not Koni direct as such! - Company is called: Performance Parts Direct, the sole uk importer of Koni suspension.

The £price+VAT+Delivery - Is based on the goods being shipped from them, to the individuals address directly (the actual delivery charge is £10 per 'kit' or person!), that way, PPD are paid a lump some, and in effect the goods will be on a call-off basis 'this is all to be confirmed at point of payment' as understandbly there are issues to bare in mind, and more importantly - you pay your money and you want to know your getting what you paid for.

SSK10 - Is a kit, which includes 2xFronts Shocks & Springs - believe it or not, if purchasing this particular part no. the price shots up - i have it all written down, but not to hand at this precise minute - Basically they are the same shock, and the SSK10 is a redundant part no. manly down to Koni no longer making the springs

They are Koni (PPD) stated prices - Ignore the ebay seller, that was just an example of the item being offered!

Is there a suggestion then that, provided the minimum order of 10 sets is met, they'll supply pairs, ie a front pair without rear shocks or springs?

In a word: YES

It says that the max permitted drop is 35mm. Koni are saying 40mm. But maybe 10 years ago they did say 40mm to me as well.

They have stated 40mm is the limit yes?!

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Wallace; 01-11-2012 at 13:34.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

When alls said and done: quantity is king it would appear

They acknowledge the R5 is 20yrs old, and haven't sold many items, which is the sole reason they are retailed at such inflated prices, pressume!

With a quantity of 'around' 10 - we are/will be placing an order larger than any distributor has for probably over 10 to 15 years.

I have further confirmed again, that they are the Yellow Koni sport adjustable (that would have been supplied in the SSK10 kit), and are suited for the Renault 5 gt turbo: Phase 2 from July 1987 - 1990

Believe me, i'm trying to get all the facts, because THE LAST thing i want is for this to be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!

So keep the queries coming if you have them?

And just to add further fuel to the fire-is this something the club would/should consider purchasing also?
    Last edited by Wallace; 01-11-2012 at 13:38.

Post Thanks / Like

That all sounds pretty good. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort

is this something the club would/should consider purchasing also?
    This is what I was considering. Maybe to just make up the numbers and get the group buy price I'd buy a couple of sets for the shop.

Not sure I'm confident that we'd get our money back if I bought 5 or 10 sets for the shop. 10 would be over £3000 to tie up in stock for maybe a couple or few years. With only about 500 5GTT on the road in the UK, there must be a fair few sets of good used shocks already sloshing around from the mass of recently scrapped cars. We may have to try and sell them abroad. But being heavy, as opposed to the orange dials, I'd guess that shipping would be a factor to over seas buyers.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I think you (ie, the club shop) would sell 10 kits - Going from this thread alone, there's 4 people genuinely interested already, plus yourself, for whichever components you're after.

That would leave 5 kits to sell - 500 odd members, plenty of trackday people, even the French/Euro guys, all to entertain the idea with.

Springs query aside, if the quoted front/rear shocks effectively make up what was the old SSK10 kit, then £320 truly is a good price for them.

Maybe it's worth asking our Ebay chum if he could supply a given spring rate with them (or perhaps he has a various selection for us to choose from), or alternatively, that we simply purchase the front & rear shocks only from him, and source our own springs - Again, this is another item that the club shop could sell.

Post Thanks / Like

Tmrw is a busy day for me at work 'practical completion'

So most likely Monday I'll clarify the springs queries

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well done and top effort with work so far wallace.

pretty sure i've alreadyposted as such but just to say again i am defo up for a set of the konis so pls keep me posted. many thanks, will keep an eye on this thread cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I'm no more clued up on the springs-cant locate the manufacturers direct,and PPD can't give the actual spec

So I'm thinking the only way to proceed, Is to still offer the springs,but for guys wanting and needing specific spec springs then they don't order springs and source their own?

At this point,I'm ready money wise to get this group-buy happening, so when I'm next home at the wkend(and not doing things off my phone!),I'll get all the info down to encourage some more into the group-buy hopefully.and for the interested parties hopefully so kind of time line for this to be a done deal!

Once again, anymore questions or queries? _ all in agreement about the springs?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe start a new 'group buy' thread though, as all your work & effort (and the relevant information) has kinda been lost in this one.

Ian, are the club going to purchase any, or shall we just stick to plan A?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe start a new 'group buy' thread though, as all your work & effort (and the relevant information) has kinda been lost in this one.

Absolutely

Just keeping this going so the group-buy thread doesn't get spammed to pieces

Post Thanks / Like

Could somebody confirm that rear shocks are suitable/the same for both the Phase 1 and Phase 2 cars please?

Post Thanks / Like

Rear shocks are the same on ph1/2.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And extra van for a cheaper rear suspension upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that,just wnted to confirm I'd been given the correct info

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting the payment option confirmed, then we'll be ready to go

Post Thanks / Like

I realised one concern. There will be a warranty on the shocks that only PDD can give, not RTOC if we sell them many months down the line. I read on the internet that Koni are not a reliable as they were and may need that warranty.

So I don't know. First thing is to see how the group buy goes. Maybe that will be sufficient.

Unless PPD can confer upon the RTOC the ability to start the warranty from the date we sell them, rather than the date we buy them. And someone will need to keep them on behalf of the RTOC and ship them. I can see why PPD might be reluctant to trust the RTOC to not use the shocks, then pretend we didn't if they fail just after a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I realised one concern. There will be a warranty on the shocks that only PDD can give, not RTOC if we sell them many months down the line. I read on the internet that Koni are not a reliable as they were and may need that warranty.

So I don't know. First thing is to see how the group buy goes. Maybe that will be sufficient.

Unless PPD can confer upon the RTOC the ability to start the warranty from the date we sell them, rather than the date we buy them. And someone will need to keep them on behalf of the RTOC and ship them. I can see why PPD might be reluctant to trust the RTOC to not use the shocks, then pretend we didn't if they fail just after a year.

Valid point, I would have thought though that the warranty will start: once registered - as it does with any electronic equipment?

A point i will try to clarify

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I will definitely be up for a set with springs! That is a great price quality!! Nice 1 for looking into this been after a set for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Warranty would begin from date of sale TO END USER - dated reciept requied, that is all! (paypal transaction reciept will surfice)

PPD offer 2yrs warranty on Koni suspension

Post Thanks / Like

I will end this thread just by saying,a group-buy is 100% going tohappen,I've been staying away a lot recently and the info is all at home.....plus doing everything on a mobile phone is not the one.

As mentioned in another thread,I'm dedicating my time to my family as much as possible at the minute...Just bare with me and we'll get the ball rolling

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, given Wallace is a busy man, and without wishing to tread on his toes/steal his thunder, can the club not take over the group buy dealings? The warranty query (amongst others) has been answered, so the GB looks ready to roll.

No offence intended here Alex; just simply taking the pressure off you

Post Thanks / Like

I'm defo up for some of these

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take a full set I think. I've read most of the thread but just in case I missed something is this happening in the near future or are we just waiting on buyers to make up the numbers now? Or is the shop stepping in?

All I need to know is who do I pay and when, but count me in.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, given Wallace is a busy man
    "The club", ie, the Committee, is a bit short of people to do this kind of thing.

Lee did the exhaust manifolds and other stuff but he's retired. I think he was working from home and his Mrs runs a mail order business from home so were receiving and dispatching goods daily?

Wallace has all the info and has a vested interest as he wants some for himself.

At least we don't have to handle postage as Koni are posting direct.

The club will accrue payments and pay for the whole lot in one go.

The problem I think is with the springs.

Currently I don't have time to think about any of this. I don't run a Renault and may or may not be interested in having some for the Fiat but the cost and not knowing what springs I'd need, and the more or less nil values for used Fiat Cinquecento parts, even a brand new set of Konis I'd probably struggle to get £50 for, tempers my interest.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be useful to know the spring rating of those usually supplied with these Koni yellows, ie, lb / inch. And open length.

The one I eventually had were about 150lb/inch. And 8 1/2 inch open length but I'd have to check that. The problem was they were slightly lose with the front was jacked. I think Duncan Greer and TK had 300lb / inch. I don't know what was done to stop them falling out. Duncan had his Konis re-valved to have a softer bump setting due to the hard springs. And a maybe the range of adjustable bump raised a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's 10 people:

Wallace
    gttjames?
    Nottswoody
    Fishey?
    Jonny Hogan
    Big Steve - Raider
    Logg (if under £350)
    TNT Tricky Nicky