Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5 gt owners club sticker

As title, does anyone have one of the old style club stickers that was an outline of a 5?

Thanks

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 gt owners club sticker

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    As title, does anyone have one of the old style club stickers that was an outline of a 5?

Thanks

Ross
    I like these!!

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this is something the club could look at getting replicated??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    I wonder if this is something the club could look at getting replicated??
    +1!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Good timing!! I did find one of these in my garage last night.

It is slightly damaged though. But I'd love one back in my car

Post Thanks / Like

I found these on my old computer if there any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave these with me, the logos make it alot easier to sort out but shouldn't be a problem. Can i have the dimensions of the original please. They can be added to the shop when I have them

Post Thanks / Like

+ 2

Post Thanks / Like

It's cool having the old stickers but I'm not sure it's a good idea replicating and using them. If it became a popular thing to do, that would raise a number of issues regarding the RTOC and its membership.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see the harm trev, plenty of the old club members are still on here....

Its evolution, nothing wrong with remembering where you come from and respecting that...

I had a few cars with the old logo on, not something i overly care about tbh, but its still nice to know that somebody back then respected the 5....

Post Thanks / Like

Its a bit of club nostalgia, where is the harm 90% of existing members would probably just put it beside the regular RTOC sticker anyway.
    Last edited by Jonny5; 05-10-2012 at 12:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah maybe. But there are some assumptions in there gents.

These stickers are nostalgic only for those that know about the old club and that's not many.

To those who're uninitiated about Renault turbos or this club (and that is most people out there), but who're curious or interested to find out more; seeing the old sticker on the GTTs of RTOC members cars is of no help, in fact it's counter-productive.

I suppose it's not important but then you'd think the RTOC and its members would be doing everything they can to ensure all new interest finds its way to this website/club.

I think if you already have an old club sticker then cool, the idea to replicate and distribute them is not a great one IMO and I'd have thought the club would discourage it. We're an inclusive club now, not an exclusive one.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 05-10-2012 at 13:00.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not a best of both worlds then, use the outline of the old sticker but the details of RTOC instead

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Why not a best of both worlds then, use the outline of the old sticker but the details of RTOC instead
    That's what I had planned to do, afterall it is rtoc these days. But then should it not be offered with the outline of other renaults too. Making the current rtoc logo the one to stick with? Once again there are so many variations and the hassle for the sake of a sticker that could be drawn up by the individual and taken to a local sticker shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Cracking idea though if the donkey work could be done. Old style design (one for each of the main member group cars), with RTOC lettering.

R5 (mk1 and 2 are close enough in shape not to split them out)
    R11
    R9
    R21
    Megane
    Clio conversions
    R19 conversions
    T1000

Tbh, I doubt there would be much call beyond the 5 variant but that's not the point.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting, what happened to R5GT Owners Club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renault 5 GT Turbo View Post
    Sounds interesting, what happened to R5GT Owners Club?
    Turned into rtoc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Turned into rtoc

ive got one in my window, but its allways been rtoc when ive been a member.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

So why the strong concerns about reproducing an old club logo, sounds harmless enough. It's not as if we are talking about a major brand reissuing a previous version of its logo.

Must be some controversy involved or something I'm missing? Domains are still available so could be repointed to RTOC.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of old logo design with new name in there, deffinately a refreshing look on the name plus shows the routes of the club too

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So I tested it and added R5GT Owners Club to a Google search and the top item, on my PC, was RTOC.org.

We do still own gtturbo.org but I think I had it pointed somewhere else, a spare server or something.

We own twingo-turbo.org too.

I think Trevor makes good points about taking care to not confuse the RTOC 'brand' and to not blur in the minds of readers, show goers and potential new members that there is another new club for the 5GTT. They won't know it's a 20 year old one.

Post Thanks / Like

Some may argue that the club should become the R5GT Owners Club again

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Have I opened a can of worms here?

My bad, but for nostalgia I'd still want one regardless. It's what I fitted to my first car way back in '99 and its what I intend to chuck on the rear screen of the phase 1 project.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

People can do what they want, and that includes replicating the old club stickers for themselves.

For the club to endorse it or agree to stock/sell the stickers though would be unwise for the reasons stated.

The discussion over whether to rebrand RTOC in the way described above would be a better topic.

Mart, top stirring

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest, and this isn't a dig, but the club hasn't exactly done much to entice the new breed of Renault Turbo motors/owners, has it?

Back to the old skool, and revert the club name back to R5GTOC, imho.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had the old logo ... even on my plates
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Let's be honest, and this isn't a dig, but the club hasn't exactly done much to entice the new breed of Renault Turbo motors/owners, has it?

Looks like its your job to let the Clio, megane, laguna, 9, 11, 19, 21 etc owners know you don't want them here?
    It seems that if the 'old skool' members put more effort into making the club like 'the good ole days' rather than just moaning or stirring we may get somewhere?
    I don't see many older members stepping up and doing their bit to revive the club.

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the point of going back to GTT only? What detriment is there in having the other models/members as part of the club?

I agree that more could have been done to bring in new blood from the wider Renault family but that's not the reason to narrow the scope, in fact it's the reason to reach out more, to all Renault sports models I'd imagine.

If that doesn't happen, the club will eventually end up as the GTTOC again anyway. In that circumstance I would still be here, though I'm not sure it would be the best outcome for the club.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only the RTOC could have an argument about a sticker! if there's enough interest and its doable get them made. If not don't. It won't do any harm.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

*sneaks in quietly*

As per the first post I'd still like one if there's one available please...

*sneaks out quietly but with a cheeky chuckle*

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    Looks like its your job to let the Clio, megane, laguna, 9, 11, 19, 21 etc owners know you don't want them here?
    It seems that if the 'old skool' members put more effort into making the club like 'the good ole days' rather than just moaning or stirring we may get somewhere?
    I don't see many older members stepping up and doing their bit to revive the club.
    I'm fairly sure in one of my previous posts I commented that it wasn't a dig, and that it was my own humble opinion, so climb down off that high horse for starters.

And point out where I said owners of the motors you mention weren't welcome? Just because the club is named in such a way, doesn't stop anyone from being a member. In fact, even when the club was called R5GTOC, we still had members with those cars.

The club hasn't really done anything to promote itself to the new breed of RT motors - Again, to point out, that isn't a dig, but an unfortunate fact. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, as I happen to like the exclusivity that RTOC has with regards to the likes of the 5, 9, 11, 21, etc.

I also recall a few previous AGM's where this subject (about attracting the new breed) was discussed, and some great ideas put forward, but for whatever reason they've never seen the light of day - Perhaps it was deemed that the majority prefer to keep the club 'old skool'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    If it was not so bloody difficult to get selected by the commitie to help.. ive offerd countless times and never been accepted. rod/back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    It's cool having the old stickers but I'm not sure it's a good idea replicating and using them. If it became a popular thing to do, that would raise a number of issues regarding the RTOC and its membership.
    At worst by the rights to that club if its not about, make the internet link.

Basicly if people search for that it links them to RTOC...

Simples

Post Thanks / Like

Again as per title I`d like one if they are still available/can be reproduced had one on my 1st 5 when I was a member back in 2001 dont even like the new one`s still in their envelope..

Post Thanks / Like

These sort of threads seem to pop up all the time now, if the club is in such a bad way lets see member numbers for the last five years and see if there is such a problem, in all honesty i've seen a few new members come and go within a few days because they have asked a simple question and have been bashed for it. Also I know its good to remember where you have come from but can we drop this old school bs, that alone does no favours for new members, unless you are part of the furniture you are no one.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i know its not a dig, i just cant see how changing the name would affect the club, other than the non 5 owners feeling a little left out, or those non members with say a laguna turbo thinking its just a 5 based club. granted that is the majority of members tho. its just another thread going off topic for the sake of a sticker.
    bringing in new members may have been on the adjenda, but is not keeping the older ones more the issue? why are people leaving, well besides the ones that have moved onto other things in the car scene? i know alot of us can have banter and feel we can speak our mind without others being too offended, maybe to newer members it makes them feel they cant comment. although numerous reposts can become boring just because people cant be bothered to look.
    with a club as large as this i think it would be hard to please everyone, with everything always being a big debate and opinions varying across the board. i dont think i've ever seen athread where everyone agrees!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I still have an old sticker on my original tailgate glass. they don't transfer well otherwise I'd have put it in the the poly window.

Post Thanks / Like

Mart, it seems like you're saying, 'let's go backwards rather than forwards because it will have hardly any detrimental affect'.

There's no logical reasoning in that.

The club has definitely moved forwards since it became RTOC and reaching out to other RT models has happened and it has had some positive results, if not as much as we'd have hoped. That's no argument for regressing. What it is an argument for is not endorsing the replication and distribution of old club stickers. The club needs all the help it can get in trying to stay relevant and active.

Haz's point about non-5 owners feeling left out is valid but more importantly the club will certainly draw in less new owners of other fast Renaults if it reverts to being the GTTOC.

As for those members looking to get old stickers on their cars. Maybe it should be limited to those that were here when the club was still GTTOC. Because how can it be nostalgic for anyone else

Post Thanks / Like

I also still have the old sticker on the rear glass.

Maybe we could modernise it a bit by fitting in to it www.rtoc.org as the original GTTOC sticker has no web address. There was no www back then!

And perhaps rather than market it in the shop, we could have it as a word of mouth thing for old timers in the know hankering for past hedonistic 5GTT good times and craving this token as a reminder.

My vision for the future of this club was that we create cover pages for different cars that appeared to be different websites and had their own boards, but shared the members database and other features, able to view other sections boards, but giving them a sense of individuality as well as that of being part of a bigger and better organised group.

I've since seen this somewhere else, the FiatForum works kind of that way. And months back I was in touch with the designer of that site regarding doing work for this one. But as has been normal, people I relied on who started the job, shelved it and never went back to it.

Part of the problem this club has had with regard to attracting new models, ie, the Megane turbo, is that people here did not rush out and buy them, then start a tuning and maintainance section, etc. All that fell to (better paid?) people elsewhere who started their own sites who have now out sized this one which has turned into a classic car site.

Post Thanks / Like

Mart, it seems like you're saying, 'let's go backwards rather than forwards because it will have hardly any detrimental affect'.

There's no logical reasoning in that.

The club has definitely moved forwards since it became RTOC and reaching out to other RT models has happened and it has had some positive results, if not as much as we'd have hoped. That's no argument for regressing. What it is an argument for is not endorsing the replication and distribution of old club stickers. The club needs all the help it can get in trying to stay relevant and active.

Haz's point about non-5 owners feeling left out is valid but more importantly the club will certainly draw in less new owners of other fast Renaults if it reverts to being the GTTOC.

As for those members looking to get old stickers on their cars. Maybe it should be limited to those that were here when the club was still GTTOC. Because how can it be nostalgic for anyone else
    I wish I hadn't said anything now

If anything, it was a tongue in cheek comment based on the number of members the club has that own GTT's, compared to any other form of a Renault Turbo, hence would it be such an issue to revert the name back to how it was?

As said, we still had members back then with 9/11/21 etc models, so what's the problem now? As also said (and it's not a dig ) the club hasn't really done anything pro-active to entice the new breed of RT motors to rtoc, so why try leading a horse to water when the horse isn't even present/elsewhere in the first place?

If rtoc is all about the future of RT motors, that's great, but let's do something about getting those new owners on board (which, as I mentioned before, has been discussed at previous AGM's & also on here...to no avail). Renault is about to launch the Clio with a new f.i engine - Are we ready to take them on-board, so to speak? What, as a club, can we offer them that's specific to their motor?

Saying that, where do you think those new owners will go: Here, ClioSport, or a brand new forum that someone will create for them? (akin to ClioTrophy.co.uk for example).

Do we need to start thinking about where the club's future is going, or leave well alone - If we're happy with how things are, then I don't see the problem with reverting back to R5GTOC, thus making it a bit more of an 'exclusive' club for that marque of car, but that's my own personal opinion, be it right or wrong.

If we're looking to latch onto the new breed of RT motors, great, but let's do something about it then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Part of the problem this club has had with regard to attracting new models, ie, the Megane turbo, is that people here did not rush out and buy them, then start a tuning and maintainance section, etc. All that fell to (better paid?) people elsewhere who started their own sites who have now out sized this one which has turned into a classic car site.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently I was told that large USA corporations are buying up car clubs as fast as they can for the sole purpose of inserting their own advertising.

So it seems reasonable to expect they would also start club sites of their own for new models of car such as the Clio Mart mentioned.

We possibly don't have the people here to out do them buy getting there first.

Even if people have the ideas, perhaps like Mart with this new Clio, they won't do the work to make a new site (part of this site?) happen and garner interest from new owners of those cars and bring there here.

Over at the Fiat Cinquecento club, they did do that. Many of them had the money for the new Fiat 500's and other similar cars. They changed the club name a bit and started taking their new cars to meetings.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we want to get more owners on board we need to drop the £25 to join fee and have a flat rate for everyone - just my opinion!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If we want to get more owners on board we need to drop the £25 to join fee and have a flat rate for everyone - just my opinion!

Couldn't agree more, even do a E membership only... Ie no membership pack but available from the shop for £2 etc....

Post Thanks / Like

We could stop the £5 discount in the shop for first time buyers and that would offset a £5 drop in the £25 joining fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Mart and others were previously arguing for a higher membership fee so the club only had wealthier members. They would have modern cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I hadn't said anything now
    Well I did say stop stirring

If anything, it was a tongue in cheek comment based on the number of members the club has that own GTT's, compared to any other form of a Renault Turbo, hence would it be such an issue to revert the name back to how it was?
    That's already been answered with sound reason.

As said, we still had members back then with 9/11/21 etc models, so what's the problem now? As also said (and it's not a dig ) the club hasn't really done anything pro-active to entice the new breed of RT motors to rtoc, so why try leading a horse to water when the horse isn't even present/elsewhere in the first place?
    The club did reach out to other RT models at that time and as a result IMO brought in new members with other models. The few we had before that came from word of mouth or were existing members who had GTTs but migrated to other cars.

If rtoc is all about the future of RT motors, that's great, but let's do something about getting those new owners on board (which, as I mentioned before, has been discussed at previous AGM's & also on here...to no avail). Renault is about to launch the Clio with a new f.i engine - Are we ready to take them on-board, so to speak? What, as a club, can we offer them that's specific to their motor?

Saying that, where do you think those new owners will go: Here, ClioSport, or a brand new forum that someone will create for them? (akin to ClioTrophy.co.uk for example).
    Agreed. We either need to go all out to get these people ahead of other forums, re-brand to some sort of 80's 90's Renault Turbo club to make us distinct but not GTT specific, and/or accept that the club membership will narrow over time. If it's the latter, then I agree, the main body of members is GTT-focused and it's inevitable that we'll end up back where we were 10 years ago, just with less members.

Do we need to start thinking about where the club's future is going, or leave well alone - If we're happy with how things are, then I don't see the problem with reverting back to R5GTOC, thus making it a bit more of an 'exclusive' club for that marque of car, but that's my own personal opinion, be it right or wrong.
    I can't agree with this. If we're happy with how things are now then what good is there in reverting and p*ssing off a proportion of our paying members?!

If we're looking to latch onto the new breed of RT motors, great, but let's do something about it then.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Mart and others were previously arguing for a higher membership fee so the club only had wealthier members. They would have modern cars.
    No, it was to bring more money into the club, and also made it on par with what other clubs were asking for membership.

Post Thanks / Like

The club did reach out to other RT models at that time and as a result IMO brought in new members with other models. The few we had before that came from word of mouth or were existing members who had GTTs but migrated to other cars.
    Trev, come off it mate, did we really do anything out of the ordinary back then to sniff out new members? If that's the case, and as a good example, name me half a dozen members who have/had Megane Turbo's that are/were an rtoc member.

I can't agree with this. If we're happy with how things are now then what good is there in reverting and p*ssing off a proportion of our paying members?!
    I don't get why you & 250nut think it would p1ss them off? If they know what the club is already about, and are happy to be part of it regardless, do you think they're petty enough to jump ship should the club name be more marque-specific? Genuine question.

Likewise, what's the point in calling a club something when it isn't? If we had an equal number of members with an equal number of different RT motors, then fair enough, but we don't - The majority of this club are GTT owners.

I'm not trying to get the club to change its name, far from it, but it makes for good discussion & does ask the question about what we should be doing for the club's future with regards to any new/future RT motors.