Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Dynamics F4R Turbo Conversion

Was browsing the ED website last night and liked the look of their turbo conversion, can be purchased as a full kit or items separately. Does anyone know who they are actually are, for some reason I keep thinking Jon from Torsion Tuning or BB Tuning have something to do with it. Just debating whether to buy the parts over the next say 4 months, sourcing them at reasonable prices or bite the bullet and get the kit.

I imagine the turbo and ECU are the expensive components so at 2.7k for the kit what do people think. I really like the RB and think this is the next realistic step for it

The other option is to pick up a cheap 172 and put the money into the kit straight away.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Dynamics F4R Turbo Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Was browsing the ED website last night and liked the look of their turbo conversion, can be purchased as a full kit or items separately. Does anyone know who they are actually are, for some reason I keep thinking Jon from Torsion Tuning or BB Tuning have something to do with it. Just debating whether to buy the parts over the next say 4 months, sourcing them at reasonable prices or bite the bullet and get the kit.

I imagine the turbo and ECU are the expensive components so at 2.7k for the kit what do people think. I really like the RB and think this is the next realistic step for it

The other option is to pick up a cheap 172 and put the money into the kit straight away.
    That's the old bb tuning lads think scoff has had a lot to do with there latest turbo conversions.
    Last edited by Logg; 21-09-2012 at 10:46.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks tidy, and if Scoffs had input in it then I think that's only a good thing. I watched the dyno clip and 100% sure its on his RR facility

Post Thanks / Like

Also ED did all the machining and stuff for turboted's F7P

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's andy & andy from BB, keeping things simpler I think these days with less overheads

The turbo kit is tidy, everything fits neatly and works as it should. Not a lot of lag either from the large T25. I did the engine management for it and had the fun of running around in their 172 demonstrator for a couple of days, it's just the right amount of power for road and track I'd say. Some drama in 1st gear, bit of squirm in 2nd then pulls well even through 5th. There's a high boost kit in the pipeline too somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, thanks for the info Scoff I read on their website they do a high boost kit, I can't remember how much more in cost. I think its a 280bhp kit, hmm, I might have to make a phone call to chat about it

Post Thanks / Like

You got a link to this kit Ricardo?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Turbo/cid103/Turbo.asp

Different things for the 172 turbo conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    You got a link to this kit Ricardo?
    http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Turbo...nKit230BHP.asp

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ive been in contact with these guys... what sort of power is it possible to get out of these set up`s.....realllisticly..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    ive been in contact with these guys... what sort of power is it possible to get out of these set up`s.....realllisticly..
    I imagine it depends on the turbo, if you're going high power like high 200s hitting 300+ then you're talking forged rods and pistons. There's a chap on Cliosport with mid 300s, he's tried 3 different spec turbos all with different bhp figures.

There's another turbo converted Clio knocking about that has a 172 bottom end, 197 head, Focus ST turbo and FMIC, was around the 256bhp mark but believe its been mapped for more boost since the conversion.

I'd be happy with the qouted 230bhp from the low boost kit.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine it depends on the turbo, if you're going high power like high 200s hitting 300+ then you're talking forged rods and pistons. There's a chap on Cliosport with mid 300s, he's tried 3 different spec turbos all with different bhp figures.

There's another turbo converted Clio knocking about that has a 172 bottom end, 197 head, Focus ST turbo and FMIC, was around the 256bhp mark but believe its been mapped for more boost since the conversion.

I'd be happy with the qouted 230bhp from the low boost kit.
    cheers for the info ric... sounds good for the dosh like to be honest...hmmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Also gearbox issues come into play the more power too, and clutch. Again, on the 230 the 2 items are deemed ok standard wise. I think the F4R responds to turbo power quite well

All info mentioned is what i've read on turbo project threads over the last few months. I actually went to view the 172/197 head turbo Clio as it was for sale just before buying the RB 182, i'm not really sure why i didnt buy it. My head was saying yes! Power! Boost! My heart said it was a 1 off conversion and didnt want to get into something out of my depth.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Rich I am sure you can source the parts cheaper 2nd hand in some cases to keep the price down. 550 quid for an intercooler and air intake seems a bit excessive for me. I am sure you could get an ebay jobbie for say 200 quid and with a bit of work make it fit.

I think the same with the manifold and downpipe. If you can wait long enough I am sure with the right forums/contacts you will be able to source these cheaper and 2nd hand

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with swapping and changing bits away from the kit is that you need it custom mapped, so the cost goes back up. If you aim to keep it similar then it'll probably be right enough but I don't know if ED will want to sell you the engine management flash and module without the kit. Best to check with them first

Post Thanks / Like

Rich its an awesome conversion. If I wasnt getting a Megane, I would have chose this route

Post Thanks / Like

Rich, believe me Ive thought about going down that route of purchasing separate parts over the months to build up a complete kit. There are parts on kits from both Engine Dynamics and K Tec that could be bought cheaper (maybe the FMIC setup and maybe the turbocharger)

The home brew in me says to do that, make a project of it and fit all the pieces together to end up with a turbo Clio..... BUT, I'm not sure I'd be any better off ordering parts such as different angled pipes for the FMIC routes, trial and error, buy twice... When it's already been worked out. Everything has been worked out, it's IIRC cheaper than K Tec. Whats working for me is that Scoff has worked on it, by the sounds of it I wouldn't need to be heading up there on numerous occasions to have it mapped, that's a money saver in itself with the cost of mapping and petrol to and from Scoffs place.

Post Thanks / Like

Just over 3k to buy and have the ED turbo kit fitted.... Hmm, maybe time to do a classified for sale ad

Post Thanks / Like

What about a Megane 225 engine conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

For less i have a 250bhp F7r atm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post

To be honest I've not really thought about that option

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I've not really thought about that option
    with all the ideas I was throwing around last night and the one before that, I'm surprised you get any sleep Ric, "I'll think about that" are famous last words.... "yeah, but we could use this for that" is just as bad.....
    I started making 'that list', then I thought of other things and got lost!!!

Post Thanks / Like

what about a megane....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    what about a megane....

Post Thanks / Like

That would be my way of doing it. Swap everything over, remap, ~250-270hp. JD.

Even better if you can mate the R26 lsd/'box to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably buying a 225 and fitting the quaife (£595) is cheaper than an r26r box?

Post Thanks / Like

Give or take - They seem to be going for a similar price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RE...item25752f8e28

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    with all the ideas I was throwing around last night and the one before that, I'm surprised you get any sleep Ric, "I'll think about that" are famous last words.... "yeah, but we could use this for that" is just as bad.....
    I started making 'that list', then I thought of other things and got lost!!!

I think you know what I'm like now, in all seriousness what do you think about the 225? How much would the lump be to start with!? To me though it's the parts that will add up, do you buy it as a job lot, find a written off 225?

Matt I hope you don't mind the phone calls.... You know I trust the Code Red policies

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

From what ive heard the megane box wont fit without work? & the jb/jc box wont bolt up to the megane block? Easily go over 3k that conversion imo as you will need management to suit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    From what ive heard the megane box wont fit without work? & the jb/jc box wont bolt up to the megane block? Easily go over 3k that conversion imo as you will need management to suit.
    Did Matt C do this conversion in the 5? I'll have a look in the projects threads as im sure he's done this. I'm thinking out of the 2 conversions the ED option seems like less hassle.

Although thinking out loud wouldn't the 225 engine and box fit in the Clio bay, I dare say new mounts to be made?

Post Thanks / Like

Was also looking into the AEM fuel and ignition controller, this is what ED use as a piggyback ecu. Was wondering if this could be used alongside the original ecu on the 182 with the 225 lump in place, not discounting having to wire it into the loom. This is where it gets beyond me

Post Thanks / Like

Did Matt C do this conversion in the 5? I'll have a look in the projects threads as im sure he's done this. I'm thinking out of the 2 conversions the ED option seems like less hassle.

Although thinking out loud wouldn't the 225 engine and box fit in the Clio bay, I dare say new mounts to be made?
    There are a few 225 conversions gone into the ph1 172 on Cliosport have a look at those.

Although my offer still stands on the PX of mine for the RB rather than you a spoil a minter!!.......

Post Thanks / Like

Won't fit into a Clio?

Use the 225/230 ecu, and patch the wiring loom.

Post Thanks / Like

Needs a bit of chopping to fit the box into a clio apparently and no doubt you will need custom shafts. You could redrill the megane block to fit the jc though. Getting the stock ecu to work will most likely be a headache (immobiliser/wiring/fbw throttle etc), also think you need to modify the stock megane exhaust manifold.

Still a decent conversion though, just wont be cheap. Ive been sniffing about for a 2.0t conversion for ages and there doesn't seem to be a cheap option. When the prices come down on 197 clio's id like to do a 225 conversion in one of them. There's one done local to me goes very well.
    Last edited by Brigsy; 27-09-2012 at 12:40.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why it comes back to the ED kit, BUT, I think it could be done cheaper. The part to me that seems to be the most expensive in the kit is the turbo, IIRC asking over a grand for a new unit. Based on a T25-T3 could one be sourced? Could say a T28 rollerbearing from an S15 work. Sometimes its who you know which opens doors to sourcing decent priced parts

Post Thanks / Like

Stop pussy footing around and go and do the ED conversion...

You'll end up selling it anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Stop pussy footing around and go and do the ED conversion...

You'll end up selling it anyway
    Give me that 5 shell and I'll stick it in that

Post Thanks / Like

You'd probably get more use out of it than me after I get my Megane

Post Thanks / Like

Needs a bit of chopping to fit the box into a clio apparently and no doubt you will need custom shafts. You could redrill the megane block to fit the jc though. Getting the stock ecu to work will most likely be a headache (immobiliser/wiring/fbw throttle etc), also think you need to modify the stock megane exhaust manifold
    Pah, the PMT Northern division is giving in too easy there

Immobiliser could be an issue (although I'm fairly sure there's a doohickey that would sort that). FBW throttle setup is already present on 182's, so that's not an issue. Re-wiring/patching looms is fun

Ricky, you could always C1J the Clio for an easier life

Post Thanks / Like

When the prices come down on 197 clio's id like to do a 225 conversion in one of them. There's one done local to me goes very well.
    That's what I've been thinking lately - Evo out, Liquid Yellow R27 in, with a 225 lump

Post Thanks / Like

Its a good conversion, power to match the handling. Renault should have turbo'd them from factory.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned mart you know me rewiring looms is never fun

Post Thanks / Like

Up to 300 bhp I don't see a problem with a JC5 box, obviously above this the ND0 is a better option. I wouldn't dismiss the the VAG conversion Scoffs developed, everyone who's had it done seems very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ric, you can have my R5 shell....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Engine Dynamics F4R Turbo Conversion

This is why it comes back to the ED kit, BUT, I think it could be done cheaper. The part to me that seems to be the most expensive in the kit is the turbo, IIRC asking over a grand for a new unit. Based on a T25-T3 could one be sourced? Could say a T28 rollerbearing from an S15 work. Sometimes its who you know which opens doors to sourcing decent priced parts
    the last 172 low boost conversion we did using second hand parts
    of ebay only cost £650 all in
    and i do mean all in
    229 bhp on a nissan t25/28 9psi
    ive just got a new 04 plate rb 182 which im using as a run about
    im going to turbo this in the next few weeks aswell
    low boost on a budget
    aiming to spend as little as poss

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GARY GRWTURBO View Post
    the last 172 low boost conversion we did using second hand parts
    of ebay only cost £650 all in
    and i do mean all in
    229 bhp on a nissan t25/28 9psi
    ive just got a new 04 plate rb 182 which im using as a run about
    im going to turbo this in the next few weeks aswell
    low boost on a budget
    aiming to spend as little as poss
    What make parts did you use, intercooler, manifold, downpipe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Ricky, you could always C1J the Clio for an easier life
    180 square, actually, i did think of this today in a clio

Post Thanks / Like

Relatively easier (and defo cheaper) to tune a C1J to 230hp...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Relatively easier (and defo cheaper) to tune a C1J to 230hp...
    I bet its not far off if everything C1J wise was bought new, fully rebuilt engine, new turbo, coolant pipes, rad, FMIC, turbo elbow, downpipe. Would also be better to run the ignition in EFI.............. Why am i thinking this, i couldnt do it to the RB, maybe a phs 1 but not the 182

Post Thanks / Like

from what i have read the ktec f4r turbo manifold is off another renault? it can be brought from renault for arund £80.

Spec isnt a secret, its a 197 head to decompress it on the standard 172 bottom end. Turbo is a MWMSport variant of a focus RS one, ST intercooler (you can tell Mike's still obsessed with fords, lol) Mtech V4 ECU, off the shelf renault turbo manifold.

Manifold is a reanult one that Ktec sell at about 3 times the price that renault sell them for, so yes its the same as theirs but not bought from them obviously.

http://passionford.com/forum/general...bhp-graph.html