Post Thanks / Like

Advice on my next step.

So i ran at pod this weekend on the pooest road tyres ever... 14.9@ 95mph with 18psi of boost.

Carb spec

1.3 second stage
    2mm needle valve
    0.9 ac
    120 main

Tried upping the boost but it was emptying the bowl at 6.5k in 4th just before the line. I need new fuel pump and to run a big fat live and earth wire to the new pump so i can be sure its not dropping volts.

Aswell with the way my cam is timed, its too retarded for my T25 tomcat. Do i buy a T28 or just advance the cam??

Questions are -

1. Shall i get an uprated FPR
    2. What pumps are good (new) Got a phase 1 bosch at the min
    3. T25 or T28
    4. Which rev limiter to select (armtech??)
    5. Just scrap it

Hope you all had a good pod day gentlemen. I did

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on my next step.

Get a fse adjustable fpr on there with astandard 1.7mm needle valve, 6psi base pressure

T28 of some description will do the business.

Armtech or omex rev limiter will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice 1 Brigs. Think im gonna tuck it away for the winter and save up for some nice fancy bits

Post Thanks / Like

Best way mate ill be honest, develop it over the winter and enjoy it next year. Big pair of drag radials need to be added to the list

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your cam set to now then mate?

To be honest for your set up it should be capable of abit more than 14.9 for 18psi, i would sort the fuel system out to stop bowl emptying then give it another go.

Post Thanks / Like

once you've got a better fuel pump.....

you could always try the fuel bypass system to see if it works for you.

off ebay:

'10MM BANJO FOR 6MM HOSE M10x1 BOLT FUEL OIL'

'MBC Manual Boost Controller any Petrol Turbo Car'

put a 0.7mm jet before the MBC in the pipe. - although as you're running lower boost i'd probably fit a 0.5 or something like that. -wrap the thread in PTFE tape (so it covers the hole in the thread) set the MBC to open about 17psi boost pressure, via a pipe coming into the car. - this will mean it opens at 13psi boost pressure when fuel is goin thru it. (13psi + 4psi). then cover all the thread with hot melt glue, so it doesnt leak.

then T into the fuel line before it enters the carb, put the jet in the pipe and fit the MBC- i ran a long pipe into the car with a the pipe into bottle from the mbc to see what happened with the fuel, even with a 0.7mm jet it comes through fairly speedily on boost. you then fit the banjo in the carb float chamber and connect the mbc to it.

Post Thanks / Like

0.7 worked for you then mate

Post Thanks / Like

it needs alittle more testing....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Whats your cam set to now then mate?

To be honest for your set up it should be capable of abit more than 14.9 for 18psi, i would sort the fuel system out to stop bowl emptying then give it another go.

To be honest mark i dont know, the head and lump were in the shell when i got it. I just built the rest up. Only had it 6 month so still learning.

Sparkie that sounds absolute nuts. Im just looking for a nice low 13s run. With some slicks of course...

Post Thanks / Like

It makes peak power very high up the revs, somewhere near 7k if I remember correctly.

Either the cam has been retarded for a big blower or the timing is out a bit.

The lump is an old bb yellow spec build.

A new pump is definatly required, then some kind of beefed up fuel reg, either ajustable or rising rate, then Time the cam to either 110/112 degrees, I suspect it's an older 110 degree piper 285.

the turbo is a bushy spec tomcat T25 so it will push 22psi + that should see a notable increase in power and see you well into the 13's with slicks.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd get the fuel pump sorted (mk1 golf/audi tt, bosch number ending in 091a from memory) gsf do them for about £65, along with the bowl emptying bfore doing anything else then run it up again at scoff's event. but if he says the cam timing wants adjusting, then it will do, either that or fit a bigger blower. cam timing is free and with more fuel/boost i'm sure it'll go alot better top end.
    i'll take you for a spin in mine at some point, similar setup, turbo's a slightly larger t25 i think, but pulls hard with the limiter set just below 8k.