Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good ship rtoc

Committee members arguing.
    Committee members leaving.
    Negativity surrounding events at Blyton/ND.
    ND 2013 concerns.
    Little interest for today's Pod day.

It's been a relatively happy vibe on the good ship rtoc for the past several years, but seems a bit 'edgy' at the mo.

Any particular reason why?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good ship rtoc

Must be a magnet stuck to the compass or stevie wonder is the captain ships off course atm

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what's happened recently? Bad grog? Scurvy?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No MOJO BABY

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Constant moaning by members? Members not turning up at events? Lack of smaller events? No appreciation of the effort that goes into the running of the club? Financial climate? To name but a few!

Post Thanks / Like

Theres still love around just a bit gay to post that and easier to moan i geuss

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love you all big hugs and kisses all round

Post Thanks / Like

You can all have my northern sausage as I love the RTOC

But Alex - you've hit the nail on the head. You can't, nor would you want to force people to to to events. If the wrong events are not attracting the members then it must be that the event is not necessarily wrong, but it doesn't matter what the event is - the current RTOC members would not attend to anything at all. Big Steve and the committee have done an amazing service to the club and should be commended for it, but if members don't or can't do events, then it's time to make an intelligent look at it and say, well ok we will offer this event or that event but there will be (in some cases) limited numbers. As for whining, I've been on here long enough to see my fair share of ungrateful children come and go and tbh, you're always going to get that, so don't waste your time worrying about it, you can never keep everyone happy.

Big hugs to all

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post

But Alex - you've hit the nail on the head. You can't, nor would you want to force people to to to events. If the wrong events are not attracting the members then it must be that the event is not necessarily wrong, but it doesn't matter what the event is - the current RTOC members would not attend to anything at all. Big Steve and the committee have done an amazing service to the club and should be commended for it, but if members don't or can't do events, then it's time to make an intelligent look at it and say, well ok we will offer this event or that event but there will be (in some cases) limited numbers. As for whining, I've been on here long enough to see my fair share of ungrateful children come and go and tbh, you're always going to get that, so don't waste your time worrying about it, you can never keep everyone happy.

Big hugs to all

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is where is the happy medium i dont like santa pod type events but would attend if its was a National day and wouldnt moan about it,i like trackdays but others on here don,t fair enough the commitee are never going to keep a club full of rtoc members happy unless you give Hugh Hefner a ring and ask him if his pad free next year for a car based event of sorts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post

Big hugs to all
    Yep. My spin on it is there isn't enough smaller events going on these days. ND is great and I think we should keep doing it, but at the end of the day it's expensive for people. Add that and Pod day and its too much for a lot of people.

I agree, whinging and moaning has and always will happen in RTOC but it's become persistant recently for some reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Constant moaning by members? Members not turning up at events? Lack of smaller events? No appreciation of the effort that goes into the running of the club? Financial climate? To name but a few!
    it is the same all over the place! here in ireland one the most prominant car forums (dar i say the biggest) the same is happening, peoples opinions are changing with the times money is scarce and everyone weather they admit it or not is worried about money

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe too many committee personal opinions instead of traditional views of the club?
    Maybe the status of committee members has gone to some heads?
    Maybe majority of committee prefers track days so appears biased although does get better turn outs?
    Maybe not many members can compete at pod now the goal posts keep getting moved and 12's are no longer deemed quick.
    Maybe not many members want to take their mint oe, low mileage, 1 owner cars on trackdays?

Maybe we're just gettin old and grumpy?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe

Post Thanks / Like

This vibe happend years ago, it will pass. All will be ok... Positive mental attitudes will prevale.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe too much is happening on the committee boards behind closed doors. Obviously some stuff should but why not have it open to watch what is being talked about for the benefit of the club so people can see, have it set as read only unless you're a committee member?

I 'm nearly on here every day but I missed that the pod day was today, thought it was next week. My fault as I look at last 24hrs, comment if anything takes my interest then check back later. Wouldn't have attended as I'd rather do a track day and couldn't afford both, not that I could afford that either at the knock down price offered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    Maybe too much is happening on the committee boards behind closed doors. Obviously some stuff should but why not have it open to watch what is being talked about for the benefit of the club so people can see, have it set as read only unless you're a committee member?
    Couldn't agree more

We all have the same common interest after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from pod and really enjoyed the whole day Christ those Hondas just get better and better but how I feel about all this is I have always enjoyed pod more than track days But I will always try to attend the track days as I just love anything to do with 5's and I love the friendly social/banter we all seem to have but the Rtoc scene just looked completely out of place today and I think without upsetting anyone is it was put on the wrong day it was great watching some super quick cars but the vibe was missing as normally we would run/watch on a Friday and pretty much Have the whole of Santa pod to ourselves then it would be back to the campsite for a great drink a laugh and a BBQ with our own music then watch or race again on the saturday again dont want to upset anyone but I do feel others who enjoy pod may agree

Cheers Phil

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post

Maybe we're just gettin old and grumpy?

we're not getting any younger and the average age of members must be higher these days..

Post Thanks / Like

So is the crux of the problem simply that there's a lack of events? I personally don't buy into that, as upto a couple of years back we only had one club-organised event (ND), yet the vibe was still a happy one on here.

I've been around this club since the mid 90's, and yes, there has been a few bad spells since, but there was usually a reason for that; eg, the President at the time, people getting bored with ND at Pod, members moaning their yearly membership fee wasn't exactly great vfm, etc etc.

However, as said, I don't understand why it's all edgy at the mo? Dawn has just stepped down, and that's a major loss to the Committee/club whichever way you cut it. Steve's p1ssed off, Shopboy left on, what appeared to be, bad terms, and I believe Clee is only tieing the Club shop over until someone else takes it on full time.

That's all within the space of a couple of months or so.

At this rate we'll have no-one left on the Committee come Xmas time...

Post Thanks / Like

i joined the club in january this year and the amount of help and advice i have had off different members has been great. i went to santa pod today and had a good time and its also the first event i have been to. my car isnt finished yet but thought i would go along to watch the racing and hopefully meet some of the members. i did meet a couple but being a new member i could only speak to someone if they were stood right next to their car because i dont know who is who. maybe if there was an agreed place that everyone parked under (a rtoc banner for example) when they werent queing for the strip lol then it would make intergrating new members easier and give the club more of a united feel. i am not criticising the club just making a suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed chris its not exactly the easiest club to be part of from the point of view of being a new member at your first club event
    I spoke to a few members at ND but only because i made the effort, i dare say apart from the few i actually went with, no-one would have spoken to me or my dad all day if i hadn't.
    Just out of interest how many of the actual committee attended ND?

Post Thanks / Like

One of my regrets was not getting round more people at ND, the evening before i managed to speak to alot but the majority of the next day i was on track :S

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Committee boards are really boring... believe me...

We dont have secrets, just easier to talk to one another without getting shot down on the boards or having a thread messed up... or divereting from the main subject (which stil happens anyway)

Post Thanks / Like

i'd personally say it's down to a few factors:

as has been touched on earlier, most of us are getting on- as are our cars.

the number of 5's has rapidly decreased in the last 10years- we are now a smallish club, rather than a medium sized club.

the cost of fuel has really put a dampener on just travelling across most of the country to meet up with a few mates for an evening. - it does go on, but it certainly used to be alot more widespread.

if people think that an event isnt going to be well attended, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, as people can't be bothered to travel to stand on their own somewhere.

events seem to need a 'draw' - back in the day at the Pod it was GT Tunings car, then it was Ktec's car, then glen tuffnell, then DD autosports, then Mike Spencer. every time people knew they were going they would turn up. - now its Scoff or Glenn pulling the crowds, be it at a rolling road day or drag strip. - i can guarantee scoff's RR day will be very well attended.
    as has been mentioned before, the goalposts have been moved along way from what the average gtt owner can afford, so power tussles dont seem to occur now. - which was another reason for people to go to 'competitive' events.

i'm sure i could come up with other reasons off the top of my head, but i'll clear off back into the 'website editor' corner.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Mart - You always seem to be spearheading these type of threads, do you have any constructive suggestions to inject the much needed va va vroom back into the club?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    Just out of interest how many of the actual committee attended ND?
    Steve
    Dawn
    Ashy
    Blunty
    Alex
    Miller

so 6 out of 10.

Post Thanks / Like

like someone said above i joined last year and without rtoc i would not have got my 5 to the stage it is now i have never attended any shows or meets due to my car still being on axle stands but i will. the way i see it you carnt alway please everyone and thats just a fact of life. i think the club is great and i am gald i found it. ive been a member on a few car forums and this one is the most friendly. sometimes people dont realise how much effort other people put in so they can have a good time looking from the outside in is always different to the visa versa. and just imagine what it would be like without a comitee. but like sparkie said fuel is a big factor in peoples lives nowardays and as a whole so is money and every penny counts.
    theres my few pennys worth anyway but say keep up the good work guys and girls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Steve
    Dawn
    Ashy
    Blunty
    Alex
    Miller

so 6 out of 10.
    Im sure Blunty didnt attend!
    So thats only half the driving force of our club present at the biggest club event of the year!

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

Regards events, I think the majority, myself included, usually will only attend if their 5 is working/road legal. If its not then the day isn't the same and the cost could get the car one step closer. Once you have the car to a decent spec it tends to get the same results at pod and rollers events so after a while it can feel a little pointless as you have to spend more between events to improve making rollers more of a social event and more cost effective between tune ups. Once at the stage where your happy with the tuning attention then usually goes on the looks, bodywork etc which can then put people off giving it everything on track days.
    Maybe the club should just offer one nd and leave others to organise smaller events thus not getting the blame

Post Thanks / Like

Why is everyone arguing? Who really gives a ****, the politics are stupid. Alot of points are valid. I enjoyed myself this weekend. It could of been better. If the committee don't like 'moaners' then call it a day. That is one job where you have to be fair, almost certainly thick skinned. Never goin to please everybody. So if we all join together matromony and stop firing daggers at one another maybe we will get somewhere. Cause this is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed national day and pod. Any day out with your pals is fun. The forum is well run and funds are up. Happy days. Just need some fresh blood to replace the committee who have stepped down.

Post Thanks / Like

There just doesn't seem to be any local events like there used to be. When I was an area rep I would organise 5-6 meets a year and pm every local member to try and drum up interest. It don't seem to happen now

Like mentioned before its expensive to have a ride out to a meet and only 2 people turn up. I still meet up with friends who are rtoc members on a weekly basis which is all good but most cars in our area are having upgrades and are rarely on the road at the same time so that affects meets too even thou I would still take what ever car I had at the time

Everyone who has been here for a long time has changes in there life and time can be an issue like myself got a busy job and a little one due so I only go to meets that are worth while now. Rtoc will continue and has some fantastic members but it's going to be on a smaller scale so like mentioned before we need smaller local events with one big ND maybe we could change area reps more often and they should be chosen on a yearly basis maybe to try and keep ideas fresh, include the local member with a voting system. Keep everyone interested

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    Im sure Blunty didnt attend!
    So thats only half the driving force of our club present at the biggest club event of the year!

And your point being ?

Post Thanks / Like

Mart - You always seem to be spearheading these type of threads, do you have any constructive suggestions to inject the much needed va va vroom back into the club?
    Mate, none of this is having a pop at the Committee or anything like that. If you read my 2 posts in this thread, I'm asking just a simple question - Morale seems a bit down, and certainly within the Committee (ref' the number of people who's stepped down in the past couple of months), and given we don't see what goes on behind Committee closed doors, I think it's a valid question to ask.

I'm sure none of us want to get to the stage where we have no Committee members, and/or club events that have all pretty much dried up due to Committee people feeling generally peed off & having the 'can't be arsed' attitude.

As an aside, how's the rtoc coffers looking? Did we break even/make a profit from ND? No-one has commented on that yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT Josh View Post
    Why is everyone arguing? Who really gives a ****, the politics are stupid. Alot of points are valid. I enjoyed myself this weekend. It could of been better. If the committee don't like 'moaners' then call it a day. That is one job where you have to be fair, almost certainly thick skinned. Never goin to please everybody. So if we all join together matromony and stop firing daggers at one another maybe we will get somewhere. Cause this is ridiculous.
    No ones arguing dude, just giving their opinion which I think is positive the problem with committee people leaving their roles is......... They'll be no one to replace them which would mean next to no events and no one to keep the website running, ultimately no club!

So, more smaller local meets needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Why is everyone arguing? Who really gives a ****
    I don't see any arguing in this thread?

So you won't give a **** if we end up with next to no Committee, no ND, no events per se?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    And your point being ?
    That if members are of the general opinion that the committee are pissed off and cba then everyone else will most likely have, or end up with the same attitude too and not bother attending future events.
    Im not having a go and i appreciate how much work is done behind closed doors.
    I enjoy this club and the people, information and expertise avaliable are second to none, but im the same as everyone, i dont want to lose that

Post Thanks / Like

Like sparkie said

Money plays a big part into things
    Fuel
    Running costs
    Parts are not cheap any more
    Everybody is resorting them to persevere them.
    The cars are getting fewer and fewer by the day and so will the members.

We will all stick together in the end.

Everybody has an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Not saying I don't care if we lose the club. Wrong end of the stick. There is underlying issues. I for one think people who are keen should join the committee like Nottswoody he's a good lad. Think the national day should be 1 day and someone should organise a rwyb pod day for those interested. Cause people were turning up and paying @ pod yesterday. I thought we had some exclusivity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
    Like sparkie said

Money plays a big part into things
    Fuel
    Running costs
    Parts are not cheap any more
    Everybody is resorting them to persevere them.
    The cars are getting fewer and fewer by the day and so will the members.

We will all stick together in the end.

Everybody has an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the nail has been hit on the head already. Driving the length of the country with fuel prices the way they are isn't easy especially with the rising age of owners. It's harder to do once you have kids and responsibilities and also harder to keep the cars on the road all the time.

The only way if people aren't willing to travel often is to have more local meets. Phil has done an awesome job organising the monthly meet down here. I am guilty as I haven't attended as its a week night and a little far but maybe take a leaf out of his book? Or if we at least try and get 1 kind of event in each area each year be it a RR, track day or something and dress it up a bit. The RTOC southern annual RR day might attract a bit more than a mesage on the boards saying anyone up for a RR day down x. Is this something the club can help area reps with more?

Overall I have not done much with events but I will say every person from RTOC I have met has been very helpfull and friendly. My car would be even worse than it is now without RTOC and my membership fee I have paid for the last 6 or 7 years has been worth every penny and more.

Anyone up for a RR day down south?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not saying I don't care if we lose the club. Wrong end of the stick. There is underlying issues. I for one think people who are keen should join the committee like Nottswoody he's a good lad. Think the national day should be 1 day and someone should organise a rwyb pod day for those interested. Cause people were turning up and paying @ pod yesterday. I thought we had some exclusivity?
    From what I heard there was a muck up with the tickets, there was only supposed to be 100 people who had track tickets, but they forgot they had sold us 40 tickets, so they sold 100 and we sold on or sold to members the 40 tickers or there abouts. so there was 140 in total on track. As for attending, people who have got the 5s off the road of repairing them could still turn up and support the club. I attend the meets for the people and atmosphere not if I can drive my 5 there or not, even though its nice having the 5 there its not that essential.

Well all in all the day was a good day for those who turned up, did glenn manage to get into the 10s in the end? and weather held off, had left by the time it had started raining.

Post Thanks / Like

There is underlying issues
    Exactly why I started this thread asking what are the issues?

I don't see the link between the price of fuel, cars becoming more rare, expensive parts, etc causing people to leave the Committee/morale to be low?

Post Thanks / Like

I think somewhere along the way it was decided morale is low because people aren't attending events? So that makes the question why are people not attending? Sure there are more reasons for low morale but that is 1 possibility

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Mate, none of this is having a pop at the Committee or anything like that. If you read my 2 posts in this thread, I'm asking just a simple question - Morale seems a bit down, and certainly within the Committee (ref' the number of people who's stepped down in the past couple of months), and given we don't see what goes on behind Committee closed doors, I think it's a valid question to ask.
    It is mate, but you know all to well where this thread will end up after posting "A simple question" on the open forum. Some things never change and threads like this, no matter how genuine the reasons are for posting, always end up making the situation worse.

A number of CM's have stood down, thats correct.

Miller - was a missive driving force behind the Committee for a number of years but he has other priorities now and can't give the time required.
    STU used to push "All" events and attend them sort out tickets etc etc and has been a big miss since standing down.
    Dawn - although it wasn't her role gave up huge amounts of time to work behind the scenes and get the finer detail of organising events sorted. She also helped to pull the CM's together and keep us on the right path when we lost our way.
    Clee - Ran the shop single handed and thats not a task to be underestimated.
    Lomo - was making good progress with the Area Reps.
    Blunty - Was making good progress picking up from where STU left off.

Steve - Sorts out ND, and did a very good job and then gets a a load of unnecessary grief, over the show and shine event, making him think twice about bothering the next time.

So with those CM's standing down or moving to a non-active roll we are going through a difficult period but it doesn't have to mean the end of the RTOC.

Life goes on, RTOC will roll on regardless, perhaps some new blood will step forward and offer help not criticism?

At the end of the day, we are all 10+ years older than we were in the good old days, that means mortgages + wives + more responsible positions at work + children = Less time for the RTOC.

I wish I was still 20 years old I'd be up to my elbows in it but I'm not and I can't.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the main point .I don't understand this us and them thing about CMs .
    We are just a bunch that try to put more in than we get out and that's it .......
    If a few of the professional whiners spent more of their obvious energy helping rather than pointing out where we're always going wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Life goes on, RTOC will roll on regardless, perhaps some new blood will step forward and offer help not criticism?

At the end of the day, we are all 10+ years older than we were in the good old days, that means mortgages + wives + more responsible positions at work + children = Less time for the RTOC.

I wish I was still 20 years old I'd be up to my elbows in it but I'm not and I can't.

If new blood is required, maybe a thread should be started asking if anyone's interested, which roles are available/required, etc?

If you don't ask (or if members aren't aware), you don't get

No doubt that it is a thankless task, but one that's certainly (or at least should be) appreciated by all members.

Post Thanks / Like

and threads like this, no matter how genuine the reasons are for posting, always end up making the situation worse
    That defo wasn't & isn't the point of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a grand total of 1 for the shop role .