Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone on here fitted the 172 cup engine in a five and kept it na?whats needed

as in tittle has anyone fitted the f4r 172 clio engine in a five and kept it na? im trying to find out whats needed? i have the f4r lump which has been servied and cleaned up and a fresh cambelt. i have a r11 box which im in the process of cleaning up. and a gtx engine mount. and the f4r loom and ecu.

want to start small and build it upover time. what this to be a cheap easy ish build a bit of fun so my gtt can be looked after while i have fun in this build if it happens.
    may need alot of help.

what is exactly needed?

what clutch to run and what flyheel?

engine wireing?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone on here fitted the 172 cup engine in a five and kept it na?whats needed

i would think ashy did this conversion before he turbo'd it

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone on here fitted the 172 cup engine in a five and kept it na?whats needed

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    i would think ashy did this conversion before he turbo'd it
    Yeah Ashy done it some time back and had in n/a form for some time i also done it but wasnt keen in n/a form the 5 needs a turbo

Its an easy conversion demobilised phase 1 ecu cable throttle body, and some one to modify the exhaust manifold and custom downpipe.

My attempt some time back

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok could still do with some input from anyone on the forum please

im looking into flywheels etc at the momemt. im looking to run the 11 turbo gearbox on the f4 lump so i think i have to use a 200mm flywheel?as the 215mm flywheel from the 172 is to big for the box?

also i was hoping to use the phase 1 clio ecu but with the change of flywheel the esu will be useless? so will i have to go standalone?

any help on this would be great

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use the std 172 flywheel matey and clutch setup no need to change it, I used these in conjunction with a 5 gtt box without a problem, just remember to remove the front and rear stud on the gearbox otherwise you will be messing about for ages trying to get it to fit with the block.

Phase 1 172 ecu is cable matey and you will just need to get it fitted with an emulator to bypass the immobiliser setup, you will need the cable TB. It's a really easy conversion

In the conversion you use the 5 D/shaft's, 5 G/box. You also need to either drill the holes on the gtt metal front engine bracket or you get hold of a 5 GTx front engine mount (pretty hard to comeby now), GTX upper and lower alternator bracket's but if your getting a cup engine with non air con i think they have different alternator bracket so you might be able to use, you will also need a shorter ancillary belt. That will basically drop the engine straight into the 5, then it's just a case of exhaust manifold and downpipe fabrication, you will need a humped bonnet as the std bonnet will not close due to the taller f7 engine and the inlet plenium. And then it's a few basic wires to get it running, I would also recomend a better fuel pump over the std gtt item.
    Last edited by James5; 06-09-2012 at 08:38.