Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Project Old5kool

So, its getting ever closer. They have spent a couple of days and the exterior has now been flatted back ready for the final colour to be applied. Would have been done this week but the old fuel flap cover has been sent off so it can be scanned to ensure they get an exact match. Work so far looks good, spot the repairs !.

Now comes a slight dilemma with the top coat. They can wet sand it and get a 100% show finish however, and a few people have said this, it will look wrong compared to how it left the factory. So I think I'm going to go somewhere in the middle with a mild wet sand and polish.

Also a few more parts but mainly been concentrating on my other hobbies of late. Decided to just replace the rear bulb holder rather than clean up the old ones. One less thing to potentially cause aggro when it comes to assembly, well that's the theory. And a couple more filters to keep me going.

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting there mate, nice work. Few oil filters for a rainy day is worth keeping.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint hasn't turned up, apparently the supplier ran out of pearl so its being delivered Monday. Car should be in paint by the middle of next week. Colour sample below, ignore the black dots that's just dirt.

Likes James5 liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more progress,

Car is in the booth with the final bits being done before paint.

The new sills have been stone chipped just to give another layer of protection. Obviously wont be seen once the skirts are fitted.

I dug out the uber expensive Renault sill clip rivets. Get them from the club shop, much cheaper

New sound deadening has been fitted in the boot ready to be painted body colour along with the rest of the interior.

When I left they were still waiting for the stone chip to dry so started prepping one of the doors for paint following the new door skin being fitted previously.

Likes G801CVT liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more bits and bobs whilst I'm waiting for the shell to be returned, fingers crossed this weekend . The handbrake cables were about £9 each with the discount code Euro car parts had last week so will give those a go. I got the brake line set a while back, when eBay had that 20% code for a few hours. To be honest by the time I had bought a decent flaring tool, pipe and unions these were probably about the same price. In the 10+ years I was actually driving my car I never had any head gasket problems at all but it doesn't hurt to have a spare set as once the engine is rebuilt it's going to be running a few more psi than before. Thanks to the club shop for sourcing the gasket sets at a good price . Finally the new old stock intercooler was a result. I will probably run a GT Tuning double capacity cooler which I bought years ago and never fitted but if I do decide to do a full OE engine bay that's one more less part I need.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to have a sit down earlier. Stopped by my mates bodyshop on the way home from work and found this happening.

Some more pics. Paint was still wet at this stage and awaiting another coat of lacquer.

Close up of the pearl using a daylight torch.

Shouldn't be too much longer now before I get it back
    Likes Leigh5T liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally! Some colour Looks great

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trev

Post Thanks / Like

Looks stunning mate, cant wait to see some more pics

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not being able to get a new servo I though that I would overhaul my old one.

I couldn't find the servo in the Dialogys section ? otherwise would have updated the part numbers, price and availability.

Will do a 'how to' guide when I get round to doing this in case anyone else wants to do it also.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark, good spot. I can't find this anywhere either.

It does appear on the catcar site that Matt found a few months ago:

http://www.catcar.info/renault/?lang...dycF9pZD09MzdD

This is under: 37 Pedal assembly / Brake servo which we don't seem to have in our Dialogys.

Maybe you could check/list your part numbers in this thread so we have something temporary?

Dale, is this something you can fix in the Dialogys section mate?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sorting Dialogys Dale

Thanks for updating that page with the parts availability and detail Mark

I have fixed the picture and I've updated Dale's post with the information from Mark's post and then deleted Mark's post

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...Servo&p=404556

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... still not finished but it's back in the booth at least. New sound deadening fitted to the front footwells as the original was removed when the jacking points were done. Inside should be sprayed this week so I should at least have the shell back very soon now. Just finishing the seam sealer on the sides of the boot so it looks 100% oe and repairs are not noticiable. They had lost one of the metal plugs in the floor but a trip to gt turbo spares a few weeks back got that sorted. Thanks again Mike .

And of course some more new parts.... really am running out of things I need now so things like the HT leads were so cheap I've just got them in case I need them for my next build if it ever happens. Fog lights are the Denji one's, again spares as just my luck I will crack a lens on my other set.

Last edited by markg; 09-07-2016 at 21:26.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went down the body shop earlier to find the inside being prepared for paint. Arguably a bit anal painting the inside but why shouldn't the bits you don't see not be as good as the bits you do...

So I hung around to have a bit of a nose.

#

From the rear footwell backwards it has been fully finished in pearl white whilst the front seats onwards is just a generic off-white as you wont see it and we didn't want to run the risk of running low on the white base and pearl coat just in case it's ever needed for future repairs. Close up of the pearl white on the boot sound deadening which was replaced.

And finally I picked up another exhaust, well back box. Previously I had a 4" Scorpion fitted but I'm too old now for drain pipes hanging out the back of the car. So I got a slightly more subtle 3" Scorpion/Prima box when it became available. In all fairness I always liked the sound of the Scorpion so this may well go on, we shall see..

Likes James5, tubbyG liked this post
    Last edited by markg; 23-07-2016 at 16:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Love this thread mark. Keep the updates coming!
    Likes James5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've come to an arrangement with the body shop and should now be getting the shell back on the 17th . I then have a few days off work so hopefully can start throwing bits back on it at long last..

I've noticed ebay has been quite lately. Resulting in another spare water pump, for 99p ! and a spare accelerator cable kit for £1.50. As I've said before I like to have spares to hand, let's be honest things arent getting easier parts wise, or cheaper !. I want to have bits to keep me going for the next 10 years + and I'm toying with the idea of another 5 when this one is done as well. With that in mind a spare repeater lens for the wing. I heard somewhere the genuine Renault/Valeo one's are now NLA ?. Also a spare front indicator lens. These seem to fade over time so I've got a couple of genuine sets now so I can replace when the time comes. The exhaust, well that's just another option to see what I like best.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

and so it begins.... the low loader is booked for 9am tomorrow so the shell will be coming back

Was a bit worried yesterday as they couldn't find the new fuel flap I supplied. When I went back this morning it had turned up so just needs painting now

I went down to my storage unit earlier and picked up a first load of bits. Mainly the new door and window sills as I want to put them on to avoid any chips to the edges.

and finally I managed to get a matching pair of wing mirrors at last !. For some reason I've struggled to get a nearside mirror to match the others I already had.

Likes Matt Cole, Mr Raider liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's finally back, would be the one day it's raining !. There are a couple of bits I'm not happy with so will be getting those sorted but at least the rebuild can now begin.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark, this is looking really good, looking forward to seeing your progress pictures

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First few parts fitted. The rubber sills have been left long for the moment as they were stored in a fairly cold place so don't want to cut them and then find they shrink or expand.

Must have nicked the gutter trim ends from the Campus I had as I remember this car always had one missing.

To be honest I've just started putting on random bits that wont be in the way further down the line. Perc fan bracket fitted. Red alloy bolts will only be used in non stress applications to add a bit of colour, but also you will be surprised how much lighter they are.

and I couldn't resist trying a bit of bling !

Likes tubbyG liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A little bit more done this evening, again mainly random bits. If people are getting bored of all the pictures just let me know.

Why do Renault insist on using labels that wont come off cleanly. Must have taken 10 minutes to get this off and all the glue. Check out the order date, I bought that over 8 years ago.

and roughly bolted in place ready to connect up.

Also loosely fitted the the bonnet latch after cutting down some new stainless bolts rather than using old ones.

My car never had the boot grills fitted but I got some years ago so thought I would put them on. Not sure I will bother connecting up the light, we will see.

and a glimpse of what else is going on in the boot.

I also fitted the inner screen seal, again just to protect the paint really.

I didnt get pictures but also ran a new aerial cable for the radio. No idea why the bodyshop removed the old one. So whilst I was at it I fitted the aerial. Finally for today I also fitted the new rubber seal around the n/s door.

Hopefully I will get back on it for a while tomorrow. I want to get the sound deadening fitted on the bulk head so I can start running the cables,wiring and heater box. Would also like to get the head lining refitted to give the roof a bit more strength.
    Likes tubbyG liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Mark, this is looking really good, looking forward to seeing your progress pictures
    Thanks James

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is looking awesome. I remember when I started putting mine back together in 2008/2009 it was really a good feeling, definitely the best part of the project.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the pics coming!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No real progress today, spent most of the day looking for bits. Hopefully I will be putting more bits on tomorrow including some of these that I dug out earlier.

I do like a bit of chrome . The new FPR should hopefully give piece of mind for years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many pics? You're kidding right! We love pics

Get that boot light wired up!

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see this 5 .finally painted, it looks stunning!!!

Im stunned at how well you have done getting so many new parts, top effort.. looking forward to seeing it come together

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Great to see this 5 .finally painted, it looks stunning!!!

Im stunned at how well you have done getting so many new parts, top effort.. looking forward to seeing it come together
    Cheers Buddy

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Typical really I get it back and then don't have time to do much.

Had about 20 minutes tonight so only got a couple of small bits done.

Full nut and bolt restore ?, oh yes even all the torx screws are getting replaced.

Door striker loosely fit ready for adjustment

The new aerial and base I fitted the other day but forget to get a picture of.

Sound deadening loosely fitted for now. Am I right in thinking the bulkhead piece goes in before I start fitting any wiring, pedals, heater box etc ?.

Depending what turns up tomorrow I should be either fitting the headlining or treating the sills with cavity wax.

Thanks for reading

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Too many pics? You're kidding right! We love pics

Get that boot light wired up!
    OK, you win will wire up the boot light. Need to go see Mike at some stage so will get a switch from him and have a nose how it's wired in.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Just wow, stunning attention to detail, top job!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pushed for time again tonight but did manage to get some cavity wax into the sills. Put about 1/3 of a can of this stuff into each sill. The old man swears by Dinitrol, I guess Waxol is more popular but I read some not so favourable reviews of that especially in spray form.

Couldnt resist fitting a bit more bling.

I will try and get some jobs done over the weekend but I have Tuesday off work so hope to get a fair bit done.
    Likes James5, Trevhib liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully I will have a full day on the car tomorrow but I have got a few more bits done.

The finish on the new battery tray wasn't great. Obviously you dont see it but I wanted to give it a bit more protection from the dreaded rust so gave it a few coats of paint.

Fitted in place with all new nuts and bolts. I also put some cavity wax under the battery tray for a bit more protection. Also a new starter cable and bonnet released cable roughly in place.

Some more random bits fitted. I wanted to get the VIN plate back on so I didn't loose it !.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some random pictures from today's effort. Part numbers in photos as it may help others

Interesting that the part number for the spare wheel catch bolts are now for a security torx bolt.

Still need to dig out the shims and get those pasivated so just loosely fitted for now.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was also looking through my pictures earlier that I took as I was dismantling the car. Thought this was an interesting comparison,

Before

and after

Likes Jeff Ninebar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love this project

Post Thanks / Like

This could be the car that gets me attending shows again.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind comments guys, glad your enjoying this thread

Just when you think you have everything you need more goodies turn up on ebay. Still at least the struts will be 100% new now.

I didnt manage to get much done today due to dad duties and the rain this afternoon. Still I did get a couple more bits fitted so that two less jobs to do !.

The original plan for today was to get the roof lining fitted. I really need to do that outside due to the smell of the adhesive so the rain put pay to that. Going to do it first thing in the morning assuming its dry. So instead I dug out some of the roof bits. Will fit these straight away to help keep the lining up whilst the adhesive dries.

Whilst things are off the car I gave any used interior bits a good clean. I found baby wipes followed by matt dash wipes worked pretty well. It's surprising what a difference the small bits make. Picked this new interior light cover up years ago from ebay.. I never realised the lens should be clear

Likes James5, Miller liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the roof lining back in. To be honest I wasn't looking forward to doing it as it's so old and fragile but it went OK. Once the sunroof is back in as well I will give it a scrub up. I did try doing it off the car previously but it it seemed like I was going to do more damage than good.

For anyone interested this is the stuff I used to glue it back with. Seems to have worked well, I say seems so I'm covered when I find it's fallen off tomorrow morning

Post Thanks / Like

I've used that stuff for my headlining on another car, lasted the summer so far with no problems.

Must be nice getting all the worse of it out the way and now onto fitting clean/new parts with everything fresh.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    I've used that stuff for my headlining on another car, lasted the summer so far with no problems.

Must be nice getting all the worse of it out the way and now onto fitting clean/new parts with everything fresh.

That's good to know, it hasn't fallen down yet so looks promising.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this next job was going to be a bit fiddly but actually wasn't as bad as I thought. Like most I expect the wiring gaiter/sleeve between the body and tailgate was worn and splitting.

So years ago I bought a pair of new ones but thought I may end having to cut and rejoin the wires to feed them through. Then I got chatting to one of the technicians at work who lent me the tool set below. It still wasn't the easiest of jobs, my patience is pretty low in fairness, but once I had worked out how to remove the spades from the connector it was ok. I think it was tool D I used in the end. I mucked about being all gentle but it turns out a bit of force was needed. There is a small clip on the spade the hooks over a step in the connector and you just need to release it.

This turned up the other day. Manufacturer date of 1988 so it's been sitting on someones shelf for the last 28 years. Typically I hadn't seen a new fan for ages then a few days later I found another, albeit twice the price of this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, cool

The heater fan part number matches up with what we have in the dialogys section. Looks it might still be available new (although more likely our listing needs updating). £58.12!

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...eater-Radiator

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

love this amazing work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keef layton View Post
    love this amazing work
    I bet your thinking how much all of this will cost Keef?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    I bet your thinking how much all of this will cost Keef?
    You wouldn't even want to begin adding up how much this all cost. It makes no economic sense in the slightest my only redeeming point is I've been collecting the parts for years so it's not like I had to spend it all in 1 hit.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more random new parts. Hope to get some more jobs done tomorrow as been busy the last few weekends.

Post Thanks / Like

Renault even have their own OE black electrical tape

What's that little reservoir thing on the box with the horn?