Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

16" tyres

Now then chaps, following on from THIS thread i'm looking at tyre options for my 16" rims.

I need the widest tyre possible to give maximum grip but I'm not sure what I can get away with. The rims I have are 7" wide so looking at the manufacturers specs I can go 195's - 225's.

To gain width over my current 195/45/15's I was thinking of going 205/40/16 but does anyone else run this rim / tyre combo. I'm concerned that I might have issues with the tyre touching the adjustment nut on my GAZ coilovers.

Does anyone run 215/40/16's? or would that never work?

Theres a lot more options for the 215/40/16's....

Cheers Chaps

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 16" tyres

bump

Post Thanks / Like

195-45-16s is what I'm using as I didn't want them rubbing but now Iv Lowerd it 50mm it catches the front a touch on full lock.. I'd be surprised if you can do bigger bud

Post Thanks / Like

Mine are 195 40 16s and they sit close to my struts even with spacers and they are et30

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Mine are 195 40 16s and they sit close to my struts even with spacers and they are et30
    Yeah thats what worries me, as my 16's are 7" wide so going up a size from the 15's which are 6.5"... Even though my offset is ET37 so that should push it out slightly further than yours.

What size spacers are you running?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

my azevs are 7.5 j and are 15's, i wonder if the wider tyre will have a touch more room with a 15..

im sure the guy i bought them off said he ran a 205 with them before fitting the current 195's..

if you really wanna talk about girth, msg jimmy b (markeyb's bro) he had some width with his borbets which were 16's.. i think..

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Just put the rim on the car and wound the adjuster nut on the Gaz coilovers down to the rim to see if it touches. Luckily it clears by 3.5mm. I think I'm going to go with the 205's and see how they sit, worst case is may have to put thin spacers on to ensure a good gap. I just don't see the point in putting the 16's on and running 195's? Might awell stick with 15's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Yeah thats what worries me, as my 16's are 7" wide so going up a size from the 15's which are 6.5"... Even though my offset is ET37 so that should push it out slightly further than yours.

What size spacers are you running?

Et37 will sit 2mm closer than mine ashy. I think my arrows are 7.5 wide not 100% though. If so my overall rim if et35 7.5 would sit closer than an et37 7" to the shock.

Jimmy bs where 7.5 x 16" running an et20 with the same tyres as me.

My spacers i think are 4 or 5mm mate. if you hang on when i have a run down yours i can bring a 16" rim down with me

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention, when i first fitted the rims on the car they came with a 195 45 16 and the rubbed the back bumper to, big difference when i dropped a size.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, you said ET30 in your first post, ET37 should sit further out by 2mm than an ET35...

Thanks for the offer but I need to order the tyres ASAP as I will need them this weekend. I think I'll be safe going for 205/40/16's

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Ahh, you said ET30 in your first post, ET37 should sit further out by 2mm than an ET35...

Thanks for the offer but I need to order the tyres ASAP as I will need them this weekend. I think I'll be safe going for 205/40/16's

Cheers.
    I did, my bad. Im now scratching my head, one or the other 30 or 35, i have my dynamics now to . Et 37 will sit closer than an et30 or35.

I would have to check my wheels. I do remember when i had my willy wheels which i think are are et37, they would sit closer to the strut. It was strange. You will probably not remember but i had headaches getting the alloys to clear my brake calipers, the williams sat closer but had loads of space behind them for clearance compared to my arrows, even without the spacers. My team dynamics are better again, all to do with the wheel design.

What you up to this week mate, if possible i might have a run down one night if the weathers good?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

What you up to this week mate, if possible i might have a run down one night if the weathers good?
    I'm around this weekend marrow.

Post Thanks / Like

195/45/16 yokohama A048s... job done

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha!!! Pigs might fly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Ha ha!!! Pigs might fly!
    What me getting out or the weather ?