Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My R5 has just been written off- i need advice for insurance

Not good day, my r5 that i've owned for past 5 years has just been written off by some utter T*&T...

Apart from feeling absolutely gutted and having a knackered neck, back and leg i need some help for my insurance....

I've never had a crash and needed to claim before so im not too sure how claims work etc.
    Putting the medical bits aside.
    What is the general process once an insurance company has been informed of the accident?

i was parked up with a car infront of me at the lights, when this idiot of a driver smashed into the back left of the car,

i am fully comp with protected NCB- the doesn't have an agreed valuation has been well looked after.

#What is the general process for getting a fair value on the car? i have a stack of receipts, do i need to provide adverts?
    In what circumstance will i be given the option to buy the car back?

If anyone sees any R5 phase 2 adverts can they post on this thread so i can use...

The bonnet no longer closes- and apart from the rad being moved i cant see any damage to the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My R5 has just been written off- i need advice for insurance

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Technically you don't have to go through insurance companies, simply repair your car and hand the bill over to the other bloke ( get a few estimates and go with the middle one), he is legally responsible and has to pay. ( he can claim the cost back from his insurance company but by law he is responsible)

I would never let an insurance compan repair my car, providing you can prove a rough cost of repair compared to replacing your car a court will have no problem with siding with you

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted for you

Did your seat collapse or is it just the photo?

Insurance is a nightmare, get ready for sleepless nights and stress, althoughyiu have a clear cut case imo. Your insurance company will get a claims management company to ring you and they'll sort everything for you, first thing they'll do is send a couple of damage assessor round to generate a quote of repair costs, once It's done you'll be told if it is a write off, which I suspect it will be and then you can argue your case and discuss buying back

Good luck, hope you get a reasonable outcome

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, she hit the car so hard the front two bolt holding the chair were ripped from the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I to cannot see any insurance company wanting to repair that

Perhaps the best way to look at it is with no agreed value, they will only give you the book price minuis your excess, clearly from the pictures there should be no issues when it comes to who's at fault, you need to try and get as much info as possable together to try and prove the cars worth.

Never accept the first offer

Definatly worth buying the car back for parts, worth quite a lot in bits and will help when or indeed if it comes to getting another one . That coupled with any personal injury claims should see you come out of it financially better off at least. It's just all the ballache of it all, sign this that send this off blah blah blah!!! Can get frustrating at times.

Post Thanks / Like

similar thing happened to my other half when we were hit from behind in her KA, its a crappy old 1998 rusty ka, and insurance company said whats it worth, she told them it was sentimental as it was her first car, they offered her £1100 or £1000 and the car... we still have the car and used the £1000 to repair it and drop an 1800 zetec in... win win!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see this hope you get it sorted. Her insurance is obliged to put you in the position you were in (that's what it's there for) make sure you fight it and if they don't play ball get as much as you can from accident claim n get a mint r5 :-)

Post Thanks / Like

put in a massive personal injury claim.... and buy my ginger

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

gutted for you buddy. hope the five can be saved best of luck with this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    put in a massive personal injury claim.... and buy my ginger

Post Thanks / Like

When my Missus had same thing happen we ended up way better off.

Car written off which was paid out 1700 quid for a sport ka her dad bought for 500 quid. They gave her car back replaced rear beam sold it for 1300 quid at auction then claimed for personal injury. Was a bad smack girl on mobile phone ploughed in to us at 40 mph while we were stationary going to turn. I still get back ache now and I didn't believe in whiplash :/

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another picture of the crunch,

Thanks for the kind words, lets see what the insurance company have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Holt View Post
    Another picture of the crunch,

Thanks for the kind words, lets see what the insurance company have to say.
    has it kinked the roof at all?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

not that i can see, just the passenger rear quarter, bonnet, both bumpers, pushed the front in, rear is knackered. paint worked fecked all over.

real pain in the ass as it just had a new clutch, engine hasn't long had a complete refresh and i spent alot of Wednesday evening giving the outside a clay and polish.

Post Thanks / Like

not that i can see, just the passenger rear quarter, bonnet, both bumpers, pushed the front in, rear is knackered. paint worked fecked all over.

real pain in the ass as it just had a new clutch, engine hasn't long had a complete refresh and i spent alot of Wednesday evening giving the outside a clay and polish.
    i do feel for ya fella, touch wood, i've been lucky enough to avoid anyone destroying my pride and joy, although spending 11months a year in bits probably helps.

push their insurance company hard, it wasn't your fault you shouldn't loose out. hope your already driving your 'hot hatch' courtesy car as it should be like for like

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Invisible posts strike again.

If somebody crashed into my car I would be taking to court, ignore insurance value of your car... Book price means nothing, no 5 sells for £500 the book claims....

You only need insurance to be road legal, don't have to claim through it. Sue the arae of the person who crashed into you... It's upto hon to recover the cost from his insurance company.

Ofcourse you could claim for cost of finding a replacement shell and use your car for donor parts....

Or just accept an offer from his insurance company, only claim for injury if you have an injury(btw be carefully about posting in Facebook/Internet as insurance companies have been known to check these and Use it against you)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im going down the insurance route as i don't have the time looking into/ deal with it myself. plus it is all well under way now. legal teams are covering the rest, im not the sort of person who goes to hospital for every bump but my neck back and leg are aching like a ba*&ard so they can sort that out too. pain killers are a wonderful thing, although think i maygo gp in next few days to up it slightly.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

its all well and good sueing each other but that doesnt really help. yea you,ve been hit but what if it was the otherway round and you hit them. you,ve just gotta work out whats best. at the end of the day you,ve gotta get some pennys back to sort yourself out another car (five) and theres no way it was worth 500 quid! get the insurance company to check current sale prices of fives. im sure theres plenty of owners on here with agreed values etc so you could prove what there worth and get a decent sum of money back. and if you want to after, claim on your injurys after then do so.i dont see the point in claiming off each other for the highest amount as it affects everyone in the long run. just get a decent amount for your five ,dont take any silly offers from the insurance company. im sure if anyone on here can help they will

hope it all works out mate.

Post Thanks / Like

real pain in the ass as it just had a new clutch, engine hasn't long had a complete refresh

depends on what you want to do but joegtir is selling a complete raider shell in good condition (not looked at pictures or seen the car) you could have a deal between you that he holds on to it until insurance pay out, buy your car back and rebuild the raider with the good parts from yours?

alot of work but could be the best solution as you know all your running gear is sound, you may end up with a lemon buying a complete car

Post Thanks / Like

That bend has always been abit dodgy. The trees and bushes need to be cut down so noobs can see around the corner I've nearly hit a few people going round there myself

Id make a Personnel Injury claim if your in pain.. if you havnt got an agreed valuation, you will not get much from the insurance company.. I think they only valued mine as £200 when they tryed to write it off a few years ago

Post Thanks / Like

I would have an idea of the cost of works BEFORE going to your insurance company! My 5 was driven into and we went through the insurance companies............................. What a joke, I costed the works to be £1300, with gen parts and help from Mike (aka Phase 1 16v Turbo) and they costed it at £600! We argued it and they paid me the cash so i could do it my self

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this m8 there is nothing worse than someone wrecking your pride and joy. When my clio got crashed into by a drunk driver in a van who ran away (my car was parked up with noone in it) i managed to get quite a good price by rejecting every offer they give me.
    As i was in no rush for another car and was using the curtesy car i thought i'd try my luck. I paid £4500 my dci 100 clio and had it nearly 2 years and got £4400 for it haha but they offered me i think it was £2300 at first.
    Any aftermarket bits work in your favour too if you declared them, as i had a set of Team Dynamics on with decent toyos which 3 of them where wrecked by the crash, i provided a few quotes just to replace the wheels and tyres and they offered me what i wanted although i only paid £200 for them.

Probably not much use ^^ but i thought i'd share just incase

Good look with it. Insurance companies are the worst

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

make sure you keep reciepts for everything mate, car parking at hospital etc as they all add up. claims are never straight forward and your insurance will go up for the next five years even tho its not your fault. good luck

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

right, a garage a trust has looked it over... it may not be a complete loss. i'm gettng some prices together so we can get something back to the insurers. i really dont want the car to be written off. Watch this space

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel for you, I'm going through the same thing at the moment and it's just hassle. There's no way I'd deal with the claim myself, I just don't have time, same as you. I have legal protection through Elephant and their legal company have dealt with everything so far really well.

Mine is unfortunately a total loss as the woman sent my driveshaft through my gearbox, splitting it in half. (They're classifying it at the moment). On the plus side I was asleep in bed when it happened and it's a clear cut claim, I'm definitely not to blame and she fell alseep at the wheel (dickhead).

Let me know how you get on, I can give you a cyber-shoulder to cry on lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ARSE is how i will start this reply, so 1st rough estimate to fix car £3245 for paint and Labour to pull out/ beat back into place oh + for 700 odd pound in parts (bumpers etc)

i don't think this will end well for the 5

Post Thanks / Like

ARSE is how i will start this reply, so 1st rough estimate to fix car £3245 for paint and Labour to pull out/ beat back into place oh + for 700 odd pound in parts (bumpers etc)

i don't think this will end well for the 5

ouch

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont believe that is a genuine quote, in my book thats an "i dont want this job" quote, no way it would cost that to fix, try some other body shops and source used parts / panels yourself to keep cost down

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's me sourcing the parts, I have another body shop in mind. Let's see what happens today.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, im sure you'll beat that price tho.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

A Cat C write off apparently, got to love insurance companies. First offer they come back is 1,500 less then what it will cost to repair the car!!

fun and games...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

right i am probably going to break the car, engine has just had a new heavy clutch and cam with a high capacity fue pump. has afr and will come with a t2/ t25 360 bearing turbo,
    Full engine rebuild last year with new shell, liners, pistons,
    carb as been tweaked to will fuel correctly,

Although front has been pushed in slightly the engine starts fine apart from a squeak from the fan.

twin capacity intercooler, larger rad, oil cooler,
    oi; filter sparks changed every year-

front / rear bumper, boot, front grill are fecked

will sell as whole or in bits on flea bay not fussed

custom door liners etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

You might be better putting this in the classifieds section and leaving this thread for updates on the whole sorry mess

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Video of the engine warmed up and running, excuse the tinny sound the phone isn't the best at recording video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGB9XkMSRv0

Post Thanks / Like

Another nice 5 gone.. Tis a shame bud..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

And so the stripping of the hard work begins

Some video of the engine running and warmed up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyBv...ature=youtu.be

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay everything up for grabs, turbo T2/ T25 360 bearing, double cap intercooler, oil temp/ afr bits for sale.
    Refurbed block with 285 cam gearbox uprated heavy clutch etc can contact me for what you want. In no rush.

Post Thanks / Like

How much for the d/c intercooler mate?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much for turbo?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pm me with offers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheels, seats, steering wheel sold. everything else up for grabs.

So i am now looking at the next car, anyone on here own or driven a focus RS mk2 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels, seats, steering wheel sold. everything else up for grabs.

So i am now looking at the next car, anyone on here own or driven a focus RS mk2 ?

They are a fantastic car to drive. A friend has one which has been tuned by Rob the owner at SCC performance to the 425 bhp package and for a front wheel drive car it handles the road so well. The driving position for me was very good along with the recaro seats its very comfy. Boost comes in low down and pulls all the way through the gears. Steering gives you alot of feedback aswell and does not feel sloppy. I thought it would have understeered badly when thrown into roundabouts but it glided through with no problems. With the brakes again under pressure and heavy loads there was no brake fade but he has finally upgraded to the K-Sport 8 pots. I found it very hard to fault really except for interior plastics which I thought they could have taken a bit more time with but its a perfect all rounder in my eyes which can be used as a 4 seater everyday car due to the space inside the car and boot.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5 rich View Post
    They are a fantastic car to drive. A friend has one which has been tuned by Rob the owner at SCC performance to the 425 bhp package and for a front wheel drive car it handles the road so well. The driving position for me was very good along with the recaro seats its very comfy. Boost comes in low down and pulls all the way through the gears. Steering gives you alot of feedback aswell and does not feel sloppy. I thought it would have understeered badly when thrown into roundabouts but it glided through with no problems. With the brakes again under pressure and heavy loads there was no brake fade but he has finally upgraded to the K-Sport 8 pots. I found it very hard to fault really except for interior plastics which I thought they could have taken a bit more time with but its a perfect all rounder in my eyes which can be used as a 4 seater everyday car due to the space inside the car and boot.
    I am very tempted, I don't want a bmw, what would a good alternative be to test drive?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your car. If your breaking im interested in a few interior bits if you can post.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pm me what you need,

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I'm Notting now if any one wants any parts from the car now is the time to ask and I can bring them back.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine out

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Half cut by 5 pm