Post Thanks / Like

Discs and pads

Hi guys

Since I can't drive it Iv got a couple of hrs spare has anyone got the link to fitting new discs and pads to the rear? They already have bearings in.. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Discs and pads

Undo two bolts at back of calipers to remove carrier. Unclip rattle springs. Remove retaining clip and slide out right angled bar which holds pads in. Then remove pads. Remove cap over nut in centre of disc, undo nut, remove disc. Fitting is reversal of that. Would be easier undoing the nut before removing pads as will stop disc from spinning. Haynes manual is always easy instructions with pics as well

Post Thanks / Like

Think this is a job todo today Iv had them for weeks now.. Mrs and baba off out for the day suns out no rain today please.. How long you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Remember with rear calipers the piston has to be wound back not just pushed back. Should be clockwise while applying pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers bud I have the bible next to me and can always refer on here.. Only done them once before about 6 years ago on another 5 I'm sure it will come back to me

Post Thanks / Like

So quite easy really just need to have them bled I can't be arsed with all that

Scabby old

http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

Nice and new

That's it for today football calls...

Post Thanks / Like

So my rear bearings gone I only had it on for about 600miles.. Strange it was already fitted onthe disc when I bought them.. Perhaps I didn't grease them enough off in the garage to put my old discs back on as it's knocking bad.. The strange thing is I can't tighten them anymore and the wheel moves a couple of mm.. Could they have cal lapsed?

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could have a problem with the shaft from suspension arm which the disc slots on to. This will have the same effect if its worn out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Or you could have a problem with the shaft from suspension arm which the disc slots on to. This will have the same effect if its worn out
    Oh dear is that a big job? As I wanted to go to scoffs if it's on that is.. Will whip it off and have a look see what's up

Post Thanks / Like

That I dont know as I put brand new discs on my rear and have the same issue with it moving had same with fronts as well. Not replaced the rears as they only move a tiny amount but the will gradually get worse. As for the job, I am thinking its easier to replace rear axle then trying to remove the suspension arm off and replace. Dont think you can just remove the shaft which the discs sit on but somebody might say otherwise

Post Thanks / Like

That I dont know as I put brand new discs on my rear and have the same issue with it moving had same with fronts as well. Not replaced the rears as they only move a tiny amount but the will gradually get worse. As for the job, I am thinking its easier to replace rear axle then trying to remove the suspension arm off and replace. Dont think you can just remove the shaft which the discs sit on but somebody might say otherwise
    Blinking ek I hope it's not that then will get off my backside in a minute.. Been up since 4am as the lil one is teething it's since I slammed on the brakes last week.. But I guess these are old ladies now

Post Thanks / Like

I have had issues with bearings in the not to distant past, had the bearings pressed in less than 1k later ****ed! This continued to happen with the cheap pattern bearings, spent the extra cash on some genuine Renault ones and 5 years later they are still going strong.

Had a similar issue with with cheap bearings on my 2004 fiesta also.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    I have had issues with bearings in the not to distant past, had the bearings pressed in less than 1k later ****ed! This continued to happen with the cheap pattern bearings, spent the extra cash on some genuine Renault ones and 5 years later they are still going strong.

Had a similar issue with with cheap bearings on my 2004 fiesta also.........
    Well I hope that's it think I only paid £50 for the grooved discs with bearings off a member they were new but I don't know if they are a good quality brand..

Post Thanks / Like

Might have damaged the bearing when pressing them in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Might have damaged the bearing when pressing them in?
    They were already in Brigsy it's since I slammed on the brakes last week im about to whip it off so will report back I hope it's just a case of putting my old ones back on I only changed them to put grooved ones on so we should be golden

Post Thanks / Like

Well Iv took the wheel off started to undo the nuts on the carrier and they both was a good couple of threads loose not even finger tight?? I know I tightend them as I'm daft but not that daft is this normal or should I carry on and see if it is the bearing and the vibrations have made it loose?? I tell you what after some of the driving Iv been doing lately its scary to think they were loose

Post Thanks / Like

Nope right first time.. Bearing had cal lapsed... Stuck my old disc on for now and everythings sweet.. Check your bearings Bigfoot it might just be that bud..

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't even driven it or put it on the floor when it was like that, but will take a look when I will be working on it next.

Post Thanks / Like

think you might be right Bigfoot Iv been for a drive and it's the same.. There's Definatley movement on the back wheel still even changed the wheel for another and still the same.. There's four like star shaped studs wonder if you can change the stubs? Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I went through 3-4 bearings from gsf, cheapest crap ever, used euro car parts one and its been on 2 years so far(compared to around 6 months for the gsf ones) i agree on the renault bearings but for me at work i can get 4 bearings to one renault one.

Post Thanks / Like

if the old discs where ok? and the new bearings arent then im geussing its the new bearings giving issue, its unlikely to be the rear stub axle.

Post Thanks / Like

Well a happyish ending turns out when I did that stupid skid the other day I didn't just kill the front tyres I killed the back aswell that one stupid street race has cost me about £300 in tyres.. But atleast the knocking has gone.. Back with the moriettes for a while..

Post Thanks / Like

That must of been one hell of a skid....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    That must of been one hell of a skid....
    Just a bit bud

Post Thanks / Like

woohooooooo looked exciting

Post Thanks / Like

woohooooooo looked exciting
    It's not true you don't see your life flash before you just cars walls and the whites of the old *******s face that decided to do a you turn.. I know I was going to fast but thankfully no one got hurt.. Just my wallet.. On a good note my brakes work well

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like theres only one set of skid marks, i bet your bias valve could do with some adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like theres only one set of skid marks, i bet your bias valve could do with some adjustment.
    My fronts were nearly flat the backs are slightly flat but enough to hear it I'd say I was top end of 3rd to a standstill.. The 5 fish tailed like madly if it had been single lane I doubt I would of got away with just tyres

Post Thanks / Like

With regard to bearings, i've tried many brands, Renault and BRT seem to be the only good ones on the market. All so found that some new rear discs are over bored causing loose bearing fitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5279 View Post
    With regard to bearings, i've tried many brands, Renault and BRT seem to be the only good ones on the market. All so found that some new rear discs are over bored causing loose bearing fitment.
    Good shout with BRT Looks like they use cylindrical bearing as opposed to ball bearings. Think ill give them a call Monday and check.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckly for me theres a BRT trade counter in Lincoln, only ever had one bad rear bearing off them and they replaced with no problems.