Post Thanks / Like

running in fresh engine

ok guys, im now at the point of my r5 project where im just about ready to fire up the fresh rebuilt engine and fingers crossed it all goes ok.

Question is whats the score ? 500 miles with no heavy boosting etc?

Also what oil type, and how soon before i change it..

All advice much welcomed, thanks in advance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: running in fresh engine

Prime it before you start it.

I usually do 500 miles on low power and semi synth oil and then switch to the good stuff, although some people hard-run in but I don't follow that school of thought.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

as a general rule bearinngs want running in slow and rings want running in fast so doing both at the same time will always be a compromise

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there new piston rings fitted? If so u need to run in on mineral oil then switch to semi synthetic after 250 miles of low boost driving which should include driving upto the rev limit and letting it run down as much as possible

Post Thanks / Like

I did something similar, ran for 400 miles on mineral oil, making sure I constantly vairied the engine revs, not sitting at the same revs for to long, revving up to where I planned to once all run in, was quite painfull revving upto 7k then letting it rev down on overrun

I did the 400 miles with no turbo, I just blanked off an old exhaust housing and blanked off the oil feed. Once the 400 was up I dropped the oil for some Mobil 1 15-50 then took it to pod on the back of a truck with the turbo attached then did over 30 runs slowly upping the boost as I went.

Lots of different opinions on this one, some people just say give it death from the off........i was a little to scared to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff, and yep new rings and pistons so mineral oil it is,'15w40 ??

Post Thanks / Like

15-40 Should be fine, either that or 10-40s, there was an interesting thread about oil floting about a few weeks ago that had some good info in, i will see if i can find it now

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

brill thats what im after - unfortunatly the serach on here wouldnt allow for 3 letter words (oil).

Post Thanks / Like

You need to bed the new rings .Forced to seat on the thrust face of the bore .Use mineral 10/40 or close .
    Run on no/low boost .Find a nice stretch of road ,at about 2k in 3rd floor it and take the revs up to 4/4.5 k then coast back down to 2k ,then repeat .Do this 10 ish times and the rings will be 99.9% done
    Then hook up the boost and give it a couple of hundred miles through the rev range .Bin oil and filter ,fill with preferred oil .
    If you run it for too long on a fresh build with no real load the bores will glaze , so don't sit there in the garage letting it idle or rev without load .

Post Thanks / Like

cheers clee, ill o grab some of halfords fineest.. 15/40 mineral oil (only one they appear to do) and i will follow what you have said, fortunatlly for me theres a descent bypass behind my house and its perfect for setting up cars etc, i imagine it will also be good for bedding in them rings

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the 'run it in hard' crew. I dont mean 8000rpm from cold, but a gentle drive out of the garage for a few miles then full boost/rpm on the way home.

Old tuning bible suggested to make power run it in hard, to make engine longevity run it in gently.

On a final note have you seen how nissan run their new engines in straight off the production line? New engines are made to tight tolerences of course, but max rpm from cold seems crazy to me

Post Thanks / Like

i run mine up to temp then hit it hard from the off. been my daily for nearly a year now.