Post Thanks / Like

Alternator belt spew at 6k

Had my 5 throwing a belt yesterday, the prognosis I have come to is that I just didn't have the belt tight enough. All my pulleys are aligned perfectly and the alternator itself doesn't move at all. I've bought a belt jump guide.

Do these make a big difference?? I want to rev upto 7 k. Cause the setup I've got is capable of that all day long

Oh and obviously I changed the belt. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alternator belt spew at 6k

So what revs do you hit peak power? only wondering..

Do you mean the belt guid that attaches to the water pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the belt guide, I hit peak power around 6k I've done very little testing so far. But from what I have seen the turbo comes in around the 4k mark. To be honest the boost I am running is probably not enough cause I'm fueling quite rich at full boost. Running 15 psi and getting 10.5 on the AFR.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty rich, check the bushes on the bottom of the alternator and the alternator tensioning bracket, if these are worn it will cause alot of movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    pretty rich, check the bushes on the bottom of the alternator and the alternator tensioning bracket, if these are worn it will cause alot of movement.
    I did check them mate, that's why I'm wondering if I just didn't have it tight enough :/

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottom pulley will most likely have been taken off and put back on the wrong way round!

Post Thanks / Like

possibly stick one on nice and tight and nail it up the road i tend to get a pry bar in to tension it,not over the top just makes it easier to nip it up without stuggling to tension the belt.

Post Thanks / Like

possibly stick one on nice and tight and nail it up the road i tend to get a pry bar in to tension it,not over the top just makes it easier to nip it up without stuggling to tension the belt.
    Haha my brother stuck one on yesterday using a pry bar. I think his words were, 'that little bast*** won't come off'

Post Thanks / Like

After chasing the thing down the motorway I wasn't best pleased. We will soon find out if it's ok or not, I have the anti jump device on my raider and since fitment I have never had a belt come off even when at 7k rpm

Good shout about the bottom pully, I will check that tomorrow. The alternator has virtually no movement in it, however one thing I haven't checked is the Bush on the water pump/alt arm. Again I will give it a look over tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    After chasing the thing down the motorway I wasn't best pleased. We will soon find out if it's ok or not, I have the anti jump device on my raider and since fitment I have never had a belt come off even when at 7k rpm

Good shout about the bottom pully, I will check that tomorrow. The alternator has virtually no movement in it, however one thing I haven't checked is the Bush on the water pump/alt arm. Again I will give it a look over tomorrow.
    Will probably be over about 6.30 to pick it up bro, dad is gonna fetch me. Can you give it a quick once over if you get a chance

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The pulley has a arrow on it, that obviously needs to go the same way as the engine turns..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    The pulley has a arrow on it, that obviously needs to go the same way as the engine turns..
    That's a class tip lol. Get on your back tomoz our kid!!

Cheers bud!

Post Thanks / Like

the only time ive ever spewed my belt was when my suspension was goosed. might sound stupid but i had loads of play in my top mounts and when my car wheelspan it caused quite violent vibrations with the wheel bouncing off the ground gripping then bouncing. This caused my belt to come off.

Post Thanks / Like

Also IMO poxy motorfactor toothed belts dont help either. Ive never lost a belt with the anti throw ped thing fitted along with the solid o.e belt

Post Thanks / Like

the only time ive ever spewed my belt was when my suspension was goosed. might sound stupid but i had loads of play in my top mounts and when my car wheelspan it caused quite violent vibrations with the wheel bouncing off the ground gripping then bouncing. This caused my belt to come off.
    My suspension is quite soft, not lowered much at all which I would suspect to soften the rocks. I'm new to 5s and cars so I think it was down to me being a newbie haha! Time will tell when I drop a gear and give it some tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Also IMO poxy motorfactor toothed belts dont help either. Ive never lost a belt with the anti throw ped thing fitted along with the solid o.e belt
    Well, it seems to me that the o.e belts twist. But don't exacty spew. That's a good pointer mate.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT Josh View Post
    Well, it seems to me that the o.e belts twist. But don't exacty spew. That's a good pointer mate.
    If its twisting your bottom pulley is defo on the wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like

If its twisting your bottom pulley is defo on the wrong way.
    Is it easy to reverse with the engine in the bay? Take it the pulley is on a tapered shaft??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it easy to reverse with the engine in the bay? Take it the pulley is on a tapered shaft??
    Yep, should take all of 10 mins to do, you probably won't even need to jack the car up! You'll need a 19mm socket and extension. Re torque it to about 90 lbs, you might need to lock the engine from the tdc hole in the g/b.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, should take all of 10 mins to do, you probably won't even need to jack the car up! You'll need a 19mm socket and extension. Re torque it to about 90 lbs, you might need to lock the engine from the tdc hole in the g/b.
    Thanks Dave. I'll whip it off tomorrow and see if it is indeed the wrong way round. Invaluable information pal. Thanks again!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I'll whip it off tomorrow and see if it is indeed the wrong way round. Invaluable information pal. Thanks again!!
    Not a problem fella.. Only invaluable if it's that haha. I'm just glad know one has asked how I know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad know one has asked how I know

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem fella.. Only invaluable if it's that haha. I'm just glad know one has asked how I know
    Hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kris M View Post
    Genuine belts are the best. Campus pulley and shorter belt is good for a high revving setup too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Genuine belts are the best. Campus pulley and shorter belt is good for a high revving setup too.
    Cheers brigs. How much does that cost to set up??

Post Thanks / Like

Campus pulley is dirt cheap mate, ive got a new one somewhere if your interested??

Post Thanks / Like

Going to look at that in a few week mate, got some more pressing stuff to splash cash on. Bits of rust and what not. Cheers tho

Post Thanks / Like

Checked it over tonight, the alt bushes bottom and top arm are fine, bottom pully is definatly on the correct way round.

However, their appears to be a slight bit of movement on the bottom pully when the engine is running, only very slight but when you rev the engine you can see noticable movement in the belt, it sort of jumps slightly under load.

He will have to take the bottom pully off over the weekend, either it's not located correctly or the pully/bolt is slightly bent.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic renault 5 naughty behaviour occurred tonight. The only night I have no tools with me (schoolboy) the little french bitch decides to chuck the belt again. Gonna get on that pulley ASAP. Being a lazy git has bit me right on the batty crease.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic renault 5 naughty behaviour occurred tonight. The only night I have no tools with me (schoolboy) the little french bitch decides to chuck the belt again. Gonna get on that pulley ASAP. Being a lazy git has bit me right on the batty crease.
    Same thing happened to me after the ace cafe meet on Monday ,I even had a spare belt,but no tools first time iv gone anywhere without them,sods law

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123-gtt View Post
    Same thing happened to me after the ace cafe meet on Monday ,I even had a spare belt,but no tools first time iv gone anywhere without them,sods law
    It's always the same pal.

Post Thanks / Like

if your stuck without tools, i managed it on my own once. Put the belt on as good as you can, car in gear and push the car, the belt should go on like a bike chain

Post Thanks / Like

So I took the pulley off today, it was located correctly. I can't see anything majorly wrong with the pulley or the shaft. Pulley looks like it's got a small pinch on it where the belts sit. Just gonna have to stick a different pulley on and see what happens...

Post Thanks / Like

Different pulley, different car. Can launch it properly no and really give it the beans! Also fit and anti jump guide. Might consider the roller aswell. Any thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

It will be fine as it is now, don't think there is a roller available anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone got any pictures of the bracket/pulley that keeps the alternator belt on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brizza View Post
    anyone got any pictures of the bracket/pulley that keeps the alternator belt on?
    They are hard to come by mate, unless you mean the guide on the water pump??

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a 3rd party peice of kit, Just interested to have a look at where abouts/how it attachs to and the build of it etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brizza View Post
    I think its a 3rd party peice of kit, Just interested to have a look at where abouts/how it attachs to and the build of it etc.
    Send me your e mail i will send a picture on my phone of the belt jump guide.

Post Thanks / Like

There you go Ian, hope that helps mate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you can find um on e bay for sale....

Post Thanks / Like

I will be needing one of these bad boys I reckon as my belt went walkies last night

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    I will be needing one of these bad boys I reckon as my belt went walkies last night

They do make a difference mate, i really nailed mine from the lights a few times and its not spewed or twisted. You can also get rollers what attach onto the block somewhere. But they are far and few beetween. Brizza just wanted to know exactly where to fit it!

Post Thanks / Like

It will be fine as it is now, don't think there is a roller available anyway.
    Iirc some twingo's had a roller tensioner setup. i was going to buy one but have never thrown a belt on my setup

Also you can get a 5 or 6pk belt setup on later injected c series engines too

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably knock something up fairly easily, where on the block would you put one?

Would be best I rekon to try and get it Central on the length of the belt that is closest to the bulkhead/servo.

Might need some kind of bracket knocking up. Probably easier to just use the jump guide in the end with a campus pully and belt.

Anyone know off the top of their head the belt number for a campus is it 1138?