Post Thanks / Like

Who plays guitar?

I have been playing guitar now for over 12 years and I have always gone for Ernie Ball strings (various models) and they have been good to me during this time but I am in need of a change! The Ernie Balls always seem to snap quite easily and they also stretch too much for my liking, thus making the tuning a bag of crap and the noise really dull. I have just ordered a new set of GHS Boomers to see how these fair, but does anyone else have any other opinions on what strings they use? I am talking electric guitar here, not acoustic.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who plays guitar?

I like G Strings(altough not for me to wear).... sorry couldnt resist.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't played for about 10 years, but used to play a fair bit when I was at university. Mainly rhythm guitar, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica sort of stuff.

I used Ernie Balls 9/10 hybrids (Metallica rhythm parts take it out on the bottom three strings, so I went a size up on them, but still leaving me with lighter top end for Iron Maiden stuff). They weren't bad - but I was forever having G go out of tune. I think that might be more down the the Floyd Rose copy trem on my guitar though.

Probably went through every make and type of string York's guitar shops could supply back in the early 90s, but always ended up with the 9/10 Ernie Ball hybrids.

Post Thanks / Like

i've only been playing for about 2 years and i've always had Ernie Ball super slinkys. my friend who tought me to play reccomended them over the ones i had and i really liked them. i don't play enough to get through strings though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've tried super slinkys, power slinkys the lot! And they are great after they have bedded in after a few hours of playing but then after a couple of weeks they sound dead again

I know what you mean Rich about the Flloyd Rose units, hence why I switched from a Jackson to an Ibanez hard tail, the tuning is a lot better now throughout my playing sessions, although the G string still goes out of tune quite easily... I don't play in a band or anything, I'm more of a sit at home type of guy going mental in my living room but I am stil pedantic over the tuning and sound of my guitars regardless if anyone else is listening or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing 12 years now and nothing comes close to D'Addario 9's. I play it quite harsh and I can't even remember the last time I snapped a string.

It also helps to wipe clean your strings after playing

Post Thanks / Like

I clean my guitar everytime I replace my strings, but that's about it. I think I may have used D'Arggio (however you spell it) strings in my early days of playing but have never gone back to them since, I might buy a set of those too after I have tried out this new set.

Post Thanks / Like

D'Addario 9's are excellent, unless you play a lot of metal or anything thats tuned down to c or lower then look at 10s. There cheap and have an amazing almost accousticy brightness especially when new. Always worth a try for 6 quid

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the sound of D'Addarios, but I kept breaking 9s. 10s were too heavy for playing Iron Maiden instrumental breaks, and they didn't seem to do hybrid sets. They started getting more expensive than the Ernies at my local guitar shops, so I switched.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually prefer the 10's as well, anything bigger and the sound isn't clean enough, anything smaller and the strings just fail. Having multiple guitars with different setups is the way to go, but very pricey! My Jackson is setup with Ernie Ball's Hybrid's I think, it's tougher to do fiddly stuff but it's good for crunchy metal riffs and rhythem. The Ibanez has a smaller gauge string on it (more than likely Super Slinkys) but is easier to play more technical stuff. Next on the list has to be either some kind of Gibson or a nice Fender Mexico...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok folks bit of info , d'addairos and earnie ball are made by the same people and in the same factory ! On both bass and guitar i use d'addairos as i get them alot cheaper than e/b's !

Post Thanks / Like

as long as you look like this an rock out!!!

http://www.80srewind.net/80s/images/...80sbighair.JPG

rock an roll man!

Post Thanks / Like

D'Addario 9's FTW all day baby