Post Thanks / Like

Anti perc fan

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me I was told that I can do away with my anti perc fan is this true or just bullish*t mine don't work any help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti perc fan

If it doesn't work and your car doesn't have an issue hot starting then yes you can remove it but if you do remove all the wiring with it too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    If it doesn't work and your car doesn't have an issue hot starting then yes you can remove it but if you do remove all the wiring with it too
    Is there a guide on how to remove it and the wiring?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There must be a DOSE of this going about at the moment??

There are a fair few members who did away with their Perc Fan and never have a problem and some who keep the car Original with it.

It's 6 of one & 1/2 a dozen of the other mate, if you want to take it out then you can do.

The only downside is that it can make the hot starting a real ballache.. which is the reason Renault installed it.

Post Thanks / Like

i think the more you can remove from a renault 5 the better and easier they are to look after!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to remove it so there's less in the bay and look better but just wonders if it makes that much diffrence

Post Thanks / Like

I would leave it in. If it works or can be made to work, theres no real benefit on removing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea that is true I haven't even driven the car yet got it running when should it start working

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

as far as i can tell the main reason people give for wanting to bin them is that they are a fire risk, although i have only ever seen or heard of one example of this happening my thinking on it is the cause of this would most likely be a rupture in the fuel line where it runs inside the fans air pipe, 20+ year old fuel lines that are hidden out of sight cant be good news as any leak there would result in fuel being blown over a hot engine when the fan engages.

long story short if your fuel lines are ok then i wouldnt worry about it and if they arent then you may want to change them rather than removing the fan.

i found the fan seemed to spend far too long running on mine and was on when it realy didnt need to be and was draining the tiny battery the 5's have on them, so i fitted a relay in line with the sensor over the turbo so that that sensor was only connected when the engine was shut off. the sensor on the carb was left connected all the time so that the net result was in the summer stuck in traffic where you can get fuel evaporation whilst running the carb sensor kicked in to solve the issue but the antiperc fan wasnt running all the time like it used to do then when the engne was shut off the antiperc fan came on untill the sensor over the turbo cooled down solving the hot start issues.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do leave it in make sure you fit a fuse in the wirring, if there isn't already. They can and do go up in flames. Just spent about £300 and lots of trying to get my 5 back on the road after the anti perc fan wirring went up in flames, taking lots else with it, as well as making a mess of my bonnet. Think it depends on which carb set-up you have as to how much benefit the Anti Perc Fan is anyway. Still got mine tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea theres already a fuse in mine but I will definatly check the fuel pipes it does worry me bout fire cos it would be heart breaking to do all this work then it goes up in flames thanks everyone for advise