Post Thanks / Like

Spark Plugs for Wasted Spark Systems?

I'm in the process of converting my car to EFI and on the ignition side I will be using the Ford EDIS 4 system. While reading some the MegaSquirt manuals it states that I will have to use resistor type Spark Plugs.

My understanding is that I can use the standard type of plug like NGK B8EVX with a Resistor Cap built into the HT lead or use std type HT leads with resistor type Spark Plugs like NGK BKR7EIX (as found on RS Megane 225).

The 'B' refers to thread type = 14mm
    The 'R' refers to resistor type plug
    The '7' refers to temperature in a scale of 2 - 11
    The 'E' refers to reach or how far the threads go = 19mm or 3/4"
    The 'IX' refers to tip material

So it looks like the RS Megane 225 plugs will fit but, will the temp rating be OK?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spark Plugs for Wasted Spark Systems?

I continued to used standard gtt plugs after the efi conversion, but I didn't really even have to worry about this too much since Scoff sold me all the suitable parts for the ignition. Actually without his help I still might be doing the conversion. He helped me to find all the sensors, ignition components and even did custom loom for the ecu.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit to picking Scoffs brain on more than several occasions but, I'm trying to do as much as I can (physically) on my own. My locality displacement has more to do with this than anything at the moment though!

I know the resistor thing is to keep interference down to a minimum but, if the std plugs don't give a problem then I think, as you have, that they will probably be OK.

Thanks for the reply Harri, I thought I'd been forgotten!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I had the same problem with the distance. In the end I sent my loom, some sensors and throttle body to UK and back.

Also just to clarify, I changed the leads also, Scoff sold them as well. The coilpack and leads I'm using is this one: http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=121

Worked out nicely after figuring out the order of leads correctly