So far no-one did an article with info on larger front discs.

So I though I'd make a start on one.

Original 5GTT fronts discs are 238mm and vented.

The normal 'upgrade' is to change to 285mm vented discs and calliper extension brackets.

These brackets simply move the complete brake calliper and pad carrier further away from the original mounting position on the hub so as to fit over the larger discs.

For this, the Renault 21 TXi 285mm discs can be used. However they have an offset which means you may get calliper contact with certain wheels, eg, R19 16v Phase 2 won't fit on.

Brackets are usually made by tuning companies but some people have had their own made by engineering companies. obviously brakes are important and so this is not something that should be done by anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing.

Once upon a time there were some 288mm discs supplied by GT Tuning.

Clio 16v/Williams/R19 16v are 259mm.

Clio 16v discs and pad carriers are a direct fit with no modifications required other than a minimum of 14" diameter wheels. So this method is low cost and easy to do.

Use model code number C57D.
Discs part no. 7701206339 (pair).
Pad carrier part no. 7701040840 same for both sides.

Re-use the GTT callipers and sliders.

The Calliper is the top part containing the piston and sliders.

PS, I know there's an oil can photo on the right (when it's currently visible to this web server) and I plan to get a fit a suitable brakes photo there instead

If you think this article can be improved then don't hesitate to send further information.

Ian S RTOC Profile