Post Thanks / Like

seriously pissed off

Right, needin to vent some fury!

So after spending my savings and alot of my time rebuilding the 5.... Today I think I killed it!!

I have been taking it easy as im still running in the engine, even have the rev limiter set to 4k rpm.

But today on way home from work going round a long right corner I see the oil pressure guage dipping then completley drop to zero! As this happens I hear a slight nock followed by huge nocking and vibrating

Immediately slamming on the brakes, once stopped the engine cuts out. To scared to start it So had to push the fecker 30 metres up the road ( slight hill aswell) to the car park - thanks to all the c***s who watched me push it without offering assistance!

Luckily I managed to get hold of my dad to come and tow me.. Car is now abandoned on my parents drive till I decide what to do with it. Right now im very tempted to burn it! Im seriously skint (sucks being a student) so Other options are break it or forget about it till next year

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: seriously pissed off

winter is an ideal time to sort these cars out fella, keep the faith

Post Thanks / Like

leave it a week or so, have a few nice showers.. have a good look at your cleanie mits, paws aka hands.... and wish them good by as they will soon have oil stained nails, cuts and scrapes and plenty of oil on them.

!!!

and dont break, you will regret it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    leave it a week or so, have a few nice showers.. have a good look at your cleanie mits, paws aka hands.... and wish them good by as they will soon have oil stained nails, cuts and scrapes and plenty of oil on them.

!!!

and dont break, you will regret it.
    Go away and leave it for a bit then go back to it I have done this many a time I no how you feel don't break it! You wish you hadn't if you do break it up good luck mate

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys.... I was perhaps being a bit irrational! The red mist was in abundance after a brew and some thinking, im not gonna break - it has took me ages and plenty monies to get to this stage!

Dj - ive only just got the oil staines off my paws! Back to work I go!

Post Thanks / Like

what could have caused the sudden loss of oil pressure?

commencing head scratching

Post Thanks / Like

Chin up mate, couple of these ....

Check this out https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=22166 we all suffer for the cause

Sounds like the oil pumps pos give out...

Bang it in storage an concentrate on being a student, while being a student get ya mits dirty,then start collecting parts for when your minted, then bring it back to the front of the burner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post
    Cheers guys.... I was perhaps being a bit irrational! The red mist was in abundance after a brew and some thinking, im not gonna break - it has took me ages and plenty monies to get to this stage!

Dj - ive only just got the oil staines off my paws! Back to work I go!
    Good lad! You can't give up now anyways I would be thanking your lucky stars now could have happened when you are miles away from home or worse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    what could have caused the sudden loss of oil pressure?

commencing head scratching
    Oil surge caused by the long right hander?

Post Thanks / Like

level must of been pretty low, even long right hander at mallory at high speed didnt cause issues. perhaps too high a lvl and slapping oil on base of pistons fouling plugs is more likely. might be worth checking plugs everything might be ok positive thinking and all that rubbish

Post Thanks / Like

just re-read pressure dropped worth a try anyway. To of caused that much damage so quickly it must of spun a bearing or something. id try turning it over by hand first then cranking without king lead on see if you get oil pressure/sounds nice while cranking. then start it with everything you can cross crossed. wouldnt worry bout doing more damage, if its that bad its gotta come apart anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

When turning over there is a faint clunk as the crank spins. Once it starts- it goes mental, banging and.nocking its tits off

If im round at my parents tomorrow I will get a quick video....

I dont know if the corner made it happen, thats just then when I noticed pressure dropping. Was not even going fast, 40mph max traffic speed.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's going to need to come apart

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

It'll have done a rod bearing, so don't run the engine anymore -- the more you run it the more chance you have of killing the turbo with swarf and other junk that will already be present in the oil. The other journals (cam, mains, etc) won't thank you either!

Fingers crossed the rod will be OK, but you will need to check it to be sure. It'll almost certainly want a crank and some new bearings

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the replies and input

I have not looked at or thought about the 5 since the other week. It has been under a cover on my parents drive.

But this week I am going to get it into the garage and begin stripping the bay - I will hopefully get a shot of an engine hoist over christmas so can get the engine on a bench and see whats salvagable

Post Thanks / Like

you dont need a crane mate? if you disconnect the wiring loom and fuel line and the heater matrix you can drop the sub frame onto the ground its easier and you can do it with minimal tools