Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Contemplating selling my 5

My car recently won best original renault 5 gt turbo at the last national day & also 2nd prize and the cheshire classic car show this year. The car is completely OE including MXV's. The problem is I just don't use it enough plus feel like getting a clio V6 phase 2

What do you guys think ?

Gibbo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contemplating selling my 5

If you've got an itch , scratch it

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

could this be the next raffle car ??

as lee says mate if its somthing your set on then get it done and out your system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo69 View Post

What do you guys think ?
    I think that I love your car

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I would defo buy a raffle ticket for this car such a nice colour

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to think hard about selling my Raider if this should come about

Post Thanks / Like

Gay....

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

im looking for my next one...... i was thinking a raider but..., seriously though, i think the clio is a good car but come on gibbo..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    im looking for my next one...... i was thinking a raider but..., seriously though, i think the clio is a good car but come on gibbo..
    Whats wrong with Clios young Matthew!

PS. to good for Gibbo

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are mad, I would love a leccy blue Phase 2. If you are serious give send me a pm with a price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Now I would defo buy a raffle ticket for this car such a nice colour
    Me too, what a fantastic car !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    Whats wrong with Clios young Matthew!

PS. to good for Gibbo

Thanks lomo ha ha

I have put a picture of the car on my profile .... All my photos have gone for some reason

Post Thanks / Like

another possible raffle you say.............. im in

Post Thanks / Like

Clio replaced the 5 when the 5 stop production I think it's the best car close to a five I wouldn't sell that 5 it's mint give it to me lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thats the reason i sold it to you Gibbo!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Attention seeking

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely not!

Post Thanks / Like

If you do decide to sell, drop me a PM before you advertise it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

you would have to be mad to sell a good example, if your bored put it in storage for a couple of years as if you sell it two things will happen in the future.

1) you will regret it (badly)

2) you will want another one (and you wont find one as good at a price you can afford)

i know this from bitter experience and am now paying through the nose to try and rebuild what i had 15 years ago and sold for a pittance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post
    you would have to be mad to sell a good example, if your bored put it in storage for a couple of years as if you sell it two things will happen in the future.

2) you will want another one (and you wont find one as good at a price you can afford)

i know this from bitter experience and am now paying through the nose to try and rebuild what i had 15 years ago and sold for a pittance
    I am in the same boat with mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Get in line Mr mart

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt sell. As others have said if you sell and decide to come back you will hard pushed to find something as tidy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g10far View Post
    I wouldnt sell. As others have said if you sell and decide to come back you will hard pushed to find something as tidy!
    wise words , wise words.....

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sell it & buy a v6, your 5 is stunning, your gonna be hard pushed to find a similar example... But do you want a 5 show car forever??

Realistically 5's are only going to be on the road for the next 5-10years max.... In 5 years time parts will be even harder to get, rust will be more of a risk.... Things like OE tyres are going to be pushing 15years old not going to be pratical or safe to use.

Where as a modern car like a clio v6 should hold current value (early ph1s can be brought cheap now, dont see them going much lower), they may increase in 5 years time, parts are still hard to get 2nd hand but alot of parts still availble from Renault at a premiun.

I know if i had £6k i would sell the 5 and buy a nice ph1 v6, ph2 are more expensive, but i prefer the ph1 look - most people prefer the ph2 V6 tho.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

He's never accept a Monkey for it you Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Autosport View Post

Yup. Part of me wishes I hadnt sold my car for the raffle now. But no garage and needing money prevailed. Sunny days kill me not having the car to cruise the back roads in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Get in line Mr mart
    You geeza

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Sell it & buy a v6, your 5 is stunning, your gonna be hard pushed to find a similar example... But do you want a 5 show car forever??

Realistically 5's are only going to be on the road for the next 5-10years max.... In 5 years time parts will be even harder to get, rust will be more of a risk.... Things like OE tyres are going to be pushing 15years old not going to be pratical or safe to use.

Where as a modern car like a clio v6 should hold current value (early ph1s can be brought cheap now, dont see them going much lower), they may increase in 5 years time, parts are still hard to get 2nd hand but alot of parts still availble from Renault at a premiun.

I know if i had £6k i would sell the 5 and buy a nice ph1 v6, ph2 are more expensive, but i prefer the ph1 look - most people prefer the ph2 V6 tho.

I'm really feeling what Penfold is saying here. My 5 is similar to your's; mine has recently pipped the 20,000 mile mark and it really is like a brand new car.... but........... is it practical? Is it fook!! I have contemplated getting rid off mine a couple of times for the exact reasons Penfold has mentioned and in turn buying something I can use care-free.

Finding OE parts at the moment is still achievable but its going to get harder. I disagree that 5's are only going to be on the road for the next 5-10 years max. Enthusiasts keep other classics on the road [Ford, Merc, Jag] so I don't see why R5 owners' would be any different, I mean that's what RTOC is all about.

But I know if it came to the crunch I couldn't let it go. For me personally I have a long history with these little hot-hatches and my tungy is part of the family. Last year I sold my OE white 5 [pics on my profile page] because I needed the cash... do I regret it.. damn right I do. However the guy I sold it to was real stand-up and a real 5 enthusiast (he's a club member) which makes the fact that its gone a little easier to deal with

From one minty owner to another... my advice is to keep, keep, keep. If you really do want to sell make sure it goes to someone that's going to treat it with total respect and preferably, keep it in the club.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinka_Dill View Post
    I'm really feeling what Penfold is saying here. My 5 is similar to your's; mine has recently pipped the 20,000 mile mark and it really is like a brand new car.... but........... is it practical? Is it fook!! I have contemplated getting rid off mine a couple of times for the exact reasons Penfold has mentioned and in turn buying something I can use care-free.

Finding OE parts at the moment is still achievable but its going to get harder. I disagree that 5's are only going to be on the road for the next 5-10 years max. Enthusiasts keep other classics on the road [Ford, Merc, Jag] so I don't see why R5 owners' would be any different, I mean that's what RTOC is all about.

But I know if it came to the crunch I couldn't let it go. For me personally I have a long history with these little hot-hatches and my tungy is part of the family. Last year I sold my OE white 5 [pics on my profile page] because I needed the cash... do I regret it.. damn right I do. However the guy I sold it to was real stand-up and a real 5 enthusiast (he's a club member) which makes the fact that its gone a little easier to deal with

From one minty owner to another... my advice is to keep, keep, keep. If you really do want to sell make sure it goes to someone that's going to treat it with total respect and preferably, keep it in the club.
    When I say 5's I mean in their hundreds/thousands....

Ofcourse you will have the hardcore enthusiast who will have these cars going in 5-10+ years time, but a high % wont, When their cars require both sills, windscreen surrounds replacing, rear quarters replacing, inner archs replacing & then a full respray your easily looking at £2k+ at an average body shop & thats if you can get replacement panels (which we all know is going to be harder and harder) & people just wont spend that on their old cars where parts are really hard to get hold of..

I look back 8 years ago when I was new to the 5 scene, you could be a 5 with mot for £1k, normally an ok car, £1,500 brouight you a rust free car, or a car that had been resprayed, or decent engine, £2k+ brought you a good standard car or a well done modded car & you can get 95% of parts at your local renault for an ok price (£45 grill, £60 bumpers, £13 bumper strips, carpets £80, wiring looms £75, sills £50, rear quarters £120, Windscreen surrounds £150, gearknobs £20 - all stuff now you cant get from renault and when you see them on ebay/breakers there stupid money)

Now days your looking at £1,500 for a running mot'd car, £2k for a car thats ok, £2,500 for rust free standard car, £3k+ for mint...

I just dont see there being many 5's on the road in 5-10 years time, the mint ones will be locked away in never to be on the road... in 5 years time there could be maybe 500 cars on the road, 10 years 100?? Who knows...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    I just dont see there being many 5's on the road in 5-10 years time, the mint ones will be locked away in never to be on the road... in 5 years time there could be maybe 500 cars on the road, 10 years 100?? Who knows...
    Sorry mate.. I thought you mean't zero 5's on the road in 5-10 and you're right the one's that are left will be locked away and will probably rarely see tarmac [if I'm still the owner of my tungy in 10 years it will hardly ever see the light of day]. Its a worrying thought

Post Thanks / Like

"Ofcourse you will have the hardcore enthusiast who will have these cars going in 5-10+ years time"

i really hope im one of them......, gibbo , give it some thought bud ...... like err 5-10 years...

Post Thanks / Like

Pah, sell it to me - They don't come more passionate/enthusiastic.

/controversial

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for the comments guys ........ I have decided to keep it!!!

Tomorrow calls for a day of detailing and then I drive around the welsh mountains

Thanks for the support lads ... Just what I needed !

Gibbo

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a look in your profile, god both your gts were and are mint, how many miles had the white one covered when you sold.

Your tungy is immaculate, i can see why it never comes out 20k miles, its such a nice thing to have it but also so sad on the other hand

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow calls for a day of detailing and then I drive around the welsh mountains

Gibbo
    A nice drive out is what you need, we just need the weather.

I have to say if i was starting out looking for another gt i would try and buy a mint oem car with around 60k miles on. Having a car like that tungy above with 20k miles on must be so scary when you take it out for a drive.

I suppose you just have to get in the mind set that its just a car and has to be driven.

All these guys at car shows with mirrors under them can really enjoy never driving them.

I spent way to much on building my car and really regret it, its to mint for the track and it is a track car. Im scared to take it out in the rain or leave it anywhere

When we move house and i have my double garage, im definitely going to look out for a mint standard gt to.

Post Thanks / Like

GTT's were made to be driven - Get out there & reprazent

Whitey was out & about everyday, come sun, rain & even snow.

Post Thanks / Like

GTT's were made to be driven - Get out there & reprazent

Whitey was out & about everyday, come sun, rain & even snow.

thats me right there...my 5 its just used and looked after,i could not own a minter just would not work and if you have a minter you know very well you have to look after it,mind where you park it etc......not an everyday car if you want to keep it mint is it...

and im not worried about the future as far as parts go either because i have enough to keep me going 20+ yrs...,but who knows i may not have it in 5-10yrs and if i do it will be like it is now but more progressed as far as engine goes,different lump etc,not a problem....

Post Thanks / Like

Gibbo
    If your off out for a drive gib, count me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contemplating sellin?g my 5

Fancy meeting up this morning matey ? Was thinling of horse shoe pass or something

Post Thanks / Like

Your not the only one mate, ive been thinking about selling my tunny for a while. Just sits in the garage most of the time doing nothing!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry mate.. I thought you mean't zero 5's on the road in 5-10 and you're right the one's that are left will be locked away and will probably rarely see tarmac [if I'm still the owner of my tungy in 10 years it will hardly ever see the light of day]. Its a worrying thought
    There are less than 500 on the road now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renault 5 GT Turbo View Post
    There are less than 500 on the road now!
    Do you mind if I be nosey, and ask where that figure's from? It was only a couple of years ago when Sparkie revealed that there were still around 3500 left. If both sources are reliable, then that's one hell of a drop in such a short space of time

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

There has been a lot of discussion about that site on various websites. Someone on the MLR picked up that according to that, there's only 7 Evo VI Tommi Mak's left. Errm, ok then

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion about that site on various websites. Someone on the MLR picked up that according to that, there's only 7 Evo VI Tommi Mak's left. Errm, ok then
    i dont find the (how many is left site) vary good its seems to be miss leading! and the count of cars dont add up i dont think

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider_gtt View Post
    i dont find the (how many is left site) vary good its seems to be miss leading! and the count of cars dont add up i dont think
    and if this info is right then what i was told there was 1000 raiders made then it would be true! as for there was 800 and odd taxed in 1994 three to four years after this car was made

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Your not the only one mate, ive been thinking about selling my tunny for a while. Just sits in the garage most of the time doing nothing!
    Don't mate ... I drove mine today and fell back in love with it !!! Just get the tunny out and go for a drive .....

Post Thanks / Like

How was your drive gibbo? cheers for popping up.
    You going back out tommorrow? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    How was your drive gibbo? cheers for popping up.
    You going back out tommorrow? lol
    Good to see ya mate get ya butt out tomos