Post Thanks / Like

what to do?

to sell or to break that is the question?

i'll tell you the story...

i won a 2002 Seat Ibiza 1.2 12v on ebay for £800 that was advertised as having a slipped timing chain.
    When i picked it up, it obviously needed alittle more work than was shown in the pictures.- but no matter as i was confident i could sort it. i looked at the v5 and nothing appeared untoward.
    once i got home i realised that the passenger door was stuck shut - i had to grind out the back of the door striker and get the door open that way. (even with the interior door panel off the lock was stuck.)
    the engine had 12 bent valves - which i replaced - the engine runs well now.
    now i waited for 6weeks for the v5 to arrive (texts to the previous owner were met with silence.) but still nothing, so i had to apply for it with the v5c i had.
    so today it arrived- complete with VIC check on the fecking thing. - which im positive wasnt there before.
    so, do i waste more money on it and get it MOT'd or break it? - do you think ill get £800 back for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what to do?

well imo i think your probably going to be at a lose either way,just get what you can if you mot an sell....or break for parts an take it on the chin...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a shame! What's the cheapest cost I would say and if you fix cos it's got a vic on it this should come back on the hpi report I would break it unless you can make ya money back selling it on

Post Thanks / Like

VIC check isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Depends why it's had one bud.

What's the score with this car? Damaged/repaired? Stolen/recovered?

Post Thanks / Like

i woudlnt break it mate. get the Vic check on it and stick to the original plan, you may still be at a loss but i guess just take it from experiance.

recently ive been looking at small engine cars and the markets booming so you may make good cash on it if you were to sell, still a big shame, ive purchased one car from ebay , a 106 quicksilver, had a headgasket fail covered up with fresh oil and water.. 6 miles and it went.. !!..

bloody anoying but i believe in karma, and where karma dosent happen i use leverage!

Edit , ive just realised its already had teh vic check.
    Last edited by djinuk; 28-09-2011 at 12:15.

Post Thanks / Like

its was VIC checked back in 2009, so its passed all that stuff. - i wasnt aware of this when i bought it, as a spares/repair, which i have duly fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    its was VIC checked back in 2009, so its passed all that stuff. - i wasnt aware of this when i bought it, as a spares/repair, which i have duly fixed.
    But for what reason was it VIC checked?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My Beemer was CatC written off 18months before I bought it and it had been VIC checked afterwards in order to put it back on the road. Well actually, the VIC is only required when the existing owner wishes to sell the car thereafter. They can put it back on the road with just an MOT if they intend to keep it.

For the life of us we can't work out how this car was ever written off and it's served me perfectly for a year now. The HPi checks showed up as it not ever being stolen, so who knows what happened.

So, my question is still relevant. Was the car stolen/recovered? If so, big deal. It shouldn't affect its current value and therefore makes the economics of repair and sale viable once more.

If the car was written off and then VIC'd then it might be more difficult to sell on at a profit.